New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Rate Iron Man 3
Excellent 72 45.86%
Above Average 61 38.85%
Average 16 10.19%
Below Average 4 2.55%
Poor 4 2.55%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 19 2013, 01:14 AM   #256
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Re: "Iron Man 3" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
It doesn't mean I would have been any more happy with it
You claimed it was the only way you could swallow what happened, and the only way you could stomach what happened. So it would have taken you from not swallowing what happened and not stomaching what happened to swallowing what happened and stomaching what happened. That would arguably constitute an increase in your relative happiness with what happened.
Old May 19 2013, 06:31 AM   #257
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Possibly not an improvement in his digestion, though.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 02:31 PM   #258
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Do yourself a favor and read back over on the actual subtopic being discussed rather than just picking random tidbits.
Do yourself a favor and stop acting like people who reject your bullshit skipped a reading assignment.
Old May 19 2013, 02:54 PM   #259
lennier1
Commodore

The Mandarin was a huge disappointment.
When you have an army of mutants, freaking Norse gods and all kinds of aliens you may just as well throw in ten alien rings that unlock superhuman powers (Clarke's "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." comes to mind) and some megalomaniac whose ego trip makes Stark seem humble in comparison.

But even with a handicap like that they still delivered an entertaining piece of popcorn cinema that made up for many of the shortcomings of the second movie.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 08:25 PM   #260
JD
Admiral

I can't remember how much this has been discussed, but I think it's worth keeping in mind this was a Chinese co-production, so that probably made them pretty paranoid about making the true villain Chinese. Even if they didn't want to go the full comic book version, it probably made them pretty nervous making him Chinese at all.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:33 AM   #261
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Well, I don't think any version of this story had him as Chinese.
Old May 20 2013, 02:10 PM   #262
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
^^^^
I would disagree. I'm guessing you're asking for someone to name story lines that aren't Demon in a Bottle or Armor Wars? Not sure that alone proves anything.
It proves that you'd be hard pressed to name more than two Iron Man storylines which are considered to be bona fide classics of the superhero genre, and that's what I wanted to prove.

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Nonsense. The Iron Man movies are quite faithful to the source material
The Mandarin disagrees.
"Quite faithful", doesn't mean "slavishly faithful". Thankfully, they kept a lot of things and got rid of a few things that didn't work at all, like the Mandarin. If you want something that is exactly like the Iron Man comic books, I think you should read the Iron Man comic books.
Old June 17 2013, 09:57 PM   #263
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

JD wrote: View Post
I can't remember how much this has been discussed, but I think it's worth keeping in mind this was a Chinese co-production, so that probably made them pretty paranoid about making the true villain Chinese. Even if they didn't want to go the full comic book version, it probably made them pretty nervous making him Chinese at all.
Frankly, in this case, this didn't even have to be the reason. I haven't read the comics, but from what I know, he seems to be a Yellow Peril stereotype; and in the movie, he was a complete stereotype of the Middle-Eastern Bin Laden-type terrorist that most people have in their heads today (or some weird mishmash of cliches that Western people have about Asia). It was a smart thing for the movie to update the racist stereotype before subverting it. I called the Mandarin twist early on, but that didn't mean it was less satisfying when it happened. Sometimes guessing a twist just makes you want it to happen because it makes sense and makes the story better. I figured that the Ben Kingsley character would be just someone posing, since this franchise has so far been too smart to play such a cliche straight. (Plus, his theatrical intonation and odd unidentifiable accent that seemed like a British person trying to sound "exotic" tipped me off. Ben Kingsley is also too good an actor to not be doing that on purpose.)

I also loved what they did with Pepper; I was scared that they were going to really make her the typical damsel in distress (the theatrical poster certainly looked that way), and was pleasantly surprised with what they actually did.

I loved so many things about the movie. They did a lot of clever things, particularly with Tony's development, in everything from his interactions with the kid (where they also undercut the potential cheesy sentimentality) to his interaction with his biggest fan (a contrast to how he treated Pierce's character in the past) to the way he saved the people in the air. It's great how they subverted superhero cliches, as with the "we can't save them both!" dilemma, which would no doubt be played out for all it's worth in some other superhero movie. Also, touches like Happy being a Downtown Abbey fan were great.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 06:00 PM   #264
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Finally got round to watching this. It's pretty damn great. I found the weakest element to be the glowing T-1000-esque bad guys that were only as poweful as the script demanded for that particular instance but whatever.

Loved what they did with the Mandarin and it's easily retconable if some higher up demands it but I'm perfectly fine with this interpretation.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2013, 07:41 AM   #265
Dream
Admiral

Iron Man 3 Blu-ray release date is September 24 and Special Features announced
Old July 1 2013, 07:47 AM   #266
Mage
Commodore

lennier1 wrote: View Post
The Mandarin was a huge disappointment.
When you have an army of mutants, freaking Norse gods and all kinds of aliens you may just as well throw in ten alien rings that unlock superhuman powers (Clarke's "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." comes to mind) and some megalomaniac whose ego trip makes Stark seem humble in comparison.

But even with a handicap like that they still delivered an entertaining piece of popcorn cinema that made up for many of the shortcomings of the second movie.

It would still feel weird if it was magic, since this was an Iron Man movie, not a Thor or Avengers movie. Even though they are connected, they are also their own seperate franchises. And in the movie-part of the Iron Man franchise, magic and aliens don't really play a big part. They kinda do a bit now after Avengers, granted, but it's not part of the mythology of the movies I guess.

But then again, I loved how they handled the Mandarin in this movie, so I suppose my opinion is slightly biased.
Old July 1 2013, 08:23 AM   #267
Anwar
Vice Admiral

They basically split Mandarin into two characters in this movie.

Ben Kingsley/Trevor is the old 60s version of the Mandarin (Yellow Peril Terrorist Warlord stereotype) whereas Killian a lot more like how the Mandarin's been portrayed for the last 20 years or so (Social Darwinist Businessman).
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2013, 05:37 PM   #268
Gaith
Rear Admiral

The wait is finally over: my review is up at The Gaith Review! A preview:
Iron Man 3 just might be the best MCU flick to date. Yes, even better than IM2, my prior favorite. (Disclaimer: I unapologetically love IM2, despite its very minor and easily-overlooked flaws.) Granted, this may be the MCU installment in which all sense of believability goes out the window, down a manhole, and tumbling into a bottomless pit towards the Earth's core. Sure, we've had plenty of outlandish stuff in the series before, but individual components of a Stark suit flying hundreds of miles under their own power requires not just a suspension but an annihilation of disbelief.

And yet... I'm okay with that. When Thor and Cap came out in the same summer of '11, I wasn't crazy about either of their aesthetics - I wished at the time they'd gone with a less sci-fi-looking Asgardian society than one the ancient Vikings themselves would have imagined, and I was a bit disappointed to see full-on laser guns, massive tanks and HYDRA rather than a more conventional, grittier Indiana Jones vs. Nazis-style flick. The first three MCU movies had mostly stuck to a more or less realistic "real world" - as real as a comic-book movie saga can be, that is - and the Thor and Cap one-two punch inaugurated the series' new direction, which The Avengers subsequently cemented. Yes, the individual suit components flying from Tennessee to Florida is absurd, but so is a frickin' flying aircraft carrier. As Killian so aptly notes, in the wake of that movie, subtlety is clearly gone for good: this is a cartoon fantasy series now, no more grounded in the real, contemporary world than Star Trek, with its magic transporters and humanoid aliens ostensibly speaking through a universal translater, but moving mouths as if they're speaking English. These are the terms; all we can plausibly ask for now is that they tell compelling and engaging stories.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2013, 12:51 AM   #269
Aldo
Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
As Killian so aptly notes, in the wake of that movie, subtlety is clearly gone for good: this is a cartoon fantasy series now, no more grounded in the real, contemporary world than Star Trek, with its magic transporters and humanoid aliens ostensibly speaking through a universal translater, but moving mouths as if they're speaking English. These are the terms; all we can plausibly ask for now is that they tell compelling and engaging stories.[/INDENT][/INDENT]

I don't quite agree with your views on IM3, but I do agree with your point here. I've been saying that for a while now. Avengers opened the flood gate for the more outlandish elements we take for granted in comic books. Hell next year Guardians of the Galaxy will be coming out and that's going to be a full blown outer space epic in the Star Wars mold. A movie I personally cannot wait for.
Old September 25 2013, 01:19 AM   #270
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

This movie just came out on DVd today, and I got it. This was another great Iron Man movie, even if it had a few flaws. The Mandarin was really lame, and some of the humor felt a bit forced (although there were a lot of good, funny moments). The end fight was awesome, although the very end scene was kind of goofy.

I think this movie is just slightly under Iron Man 2 in terms of quality, but I enjoyed that movie more than most people, so thats not an insult. This is a very fun and entertaining movie. I voted above average.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote