Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 19 2013, 04:03 AM   #646
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Re: Going Veggie

gturner wrote: View Post
Worker bees, throw off your chains!

How can bees not be eating vegan? All they do is gather pollen and nectar, both plant products. Then they do some magic bee stuff and make honey out of it, which they eat. So if you sit down to share some honey with some bees, how can they be eating vegan and you're not? If they're getting the honey from the crops humans planted and tend, wouldn't that make bees dependent on farmers and mean that vegan bees can't eat nectar because it's a human product? Wouldn't this line of logic mean that vegans can't eat food produced by other vegans because an animal (a hominid) was involved in its production?
Again, I don't contend the arbitrariness of the boundary, and I honestly can't tell if you're being serious, but, as I said before, veganism is about not using any animal product. Honey is the product of bees, pearls are the products of oysters, wool is the product of sheep. Sure, your human example points out the arbitrary nature of the philosophy, but again, if you step back and take a look at your own moral and ethical choices, I believe you'll find your lines to be just as arbitrary, and I'm sure there are many out there who could as easily mock them as you do those of vegans.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 04:32 AM   #647
gturner
Admiral

^ There may be, but I would eat them with fava beans and a nice chianti.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 04:52 AM   #648
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

gturner wrote: View Post
^ There may be, but I would eat them with fava beans and a nice chianti.
Once, I was teaching my students about the Donner Party, and I assigned them an essay question asking them to explore their morality, and what they thought they would do in that situation. I had one student who had very pronounced and stereotypical Asperger's, he wrote, simply: "I would eat the meat, but I would insure that it was thoroughly cooked as contamination and subsequent dysentery would be a serious concern." He continued with an essay about food sanitation.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 05:03 AM   #649
gturner
Admiral

Well, there's a good reason they call it the Donner Party. Heck, they even had those nifty little finger sandwiches.

Anyway, given their experience and that of the Rugby team in the Andes, wouldn't it be wise to tell people, "On day one, send some people out walking. You're going to send them anyway, a month or two later, but by then half of you will be soup bones. Why not start the hike before you're all starving to death?"
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 05:15 AM   #650
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

1. White chocolate is for pussies.

2. Honey is a farmed product, the bees are bred and kept by humans so that they can produce a product humans use. Like milk.

3. Fair Trade is a big topic with it's own scandals and misinformation. Still a good thing to consider and research though and if it informs your shopping choices good for you.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 06:19 AM   #651
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

teacake wrote: View Post
1. White chocolate is for pussies.
[takes notebook out of pocket]
[writes]
Pick up container of white chocolate for next date.
[/places notebook in pocket]

2. Honey is a farmed product, the bees are bred and kept by humans so that they can produce a product humans use. Like milk.
Yep. I love honey, though I use it very sparingly.

3. Fair Trade is a big topic with it's own scandals and misinformation. Still a good thing to consider and research though and if it informs your shopping choices good for you.
I'm usually wary of anything promoting itself as an environmental/equality solution. It's way too easy to do, and requires little authentication, like the term "free range," or "organic."
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote