Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 18 2013, 05:56 PM   #31
RevdKathy
I WILL have this wedding PERFECT!

View RevdKathy's Twitter Profile
Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2013 - Malmö

I avoided the semis so as not to be spoiled for the actual performance. In a way, I feel it takes a lot out of the show that you can have seen the final performance right before it.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a good night to get mostly drunk and fall around laughing. I don't want it to be a Serious Song Contest. The only sad bit is it's never been the same without Wogan.
Old May 18 2013, 10:12 PM   #32
MacLeod
Admiral

Agreed, Norton does an ok job, but it's not been the same since Wogan stopped doing the commentary for the UK.

And if I tune in, I only tend to tune in for the results of the voting.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 11:39 PM   #33
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

The most surprising thing for me is how surprised the German commentator was that Cascada did so badly. What did they thought they would get with a side show act performing a blatant rip-off of last year's winning song?
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 11:40 PM   #34
MacLeod
Admiral

Well at least the UK wasn't last and did improve slightly on last year. But most of the Big 5 struggled.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 12:03 AM   #35
Eyes
Commodore

View Eyes's Twitter Profile

Defcon wrote: View Post
The most surprising thing for me is how surprised the German commentator was that Cascada did so badly. What did they thought they would get with a side show act performing a blatant rip-off of last year's winning song?
They are a big name over Europe in the charts so I was expecting them to do well too. However it means UK did 2nd best out of all of the top 5!!!11!! YAY!

Anyway, underwhelming winner - not had one of those IMO for a while. I did love 2nd, 3rd and 4th place though so there is hope for my tastes.

Greece doing so well was great too - really brought a fun vibe to the proceedings. And Denmark should be great hosts next year anyway - I imagine a lot of Danes were in that hall given how close Malmo is.
Old May 19 2013, 01:26 AM   #36
Seven of Five
Commodore

What a great night. Me and my friends had a lot of fun trying to sing along in foreign languages, which is always more difficult after a drink. Sweden did a brilliant job hosting - I honestly can't remember laughing so much due to genuine humour. And the half-time song was absolute bonkers. I think I'm going to move there.

I was underwhelmed with the top three, which was a shame. I was happy to see Malta, Greece, The Netherlands, Russia and Moldova get into the top ten though.

UK finished 19th, which is amazingly dizzy heights for us. I've already read one story condemning our 'Eurovision curse,' but nothing will happen till we take it more seriously.
Old May 19 2013, 02:08 AM   #37
stoneroses
Rear Admiral

God that was dull. Thank goodness graham norton was there to rip the pss. In a month we will all have forgotten who won. Till next year when it comes from there. Highlight the right royal f up by Lena Meyer-Landrut. Love how the BBC make extra sure of not winning by picking has beens the last thing the BBC wants is to fork out for Eurovision. Next year there is talk of the sex pistols being the uk entry. Should be fun.

http://communities.msn.com/infograpismo
stoneroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 09:55 AM   #38
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

We all thought it was very dull - we forgot most of the songs as soon as they had finished - we did like the Guest appearance by the Master.

I did want Greece to win to see what economic/politic crisis that would kick off - and to see what Eurovision staged on a beach light by flood-lights would look like.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 10:22 AM   #39
stoneroses
Rear Admiral

The uk are talking about pulling out of it next year can't say I blame them

http://communities.msn.com/infograpismo
stoneroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 10:38 AM   #40
Eyes
Commodore

The BBC will never pull out as long as it remains a hugely popular TV show like this. It remains a night of cheap entertainment guaranteed to pull in huge ratings. And if they did pull out, ITV would just pick it up. No matter how many people complain, we're in it for the long haul.
Old May 19 2013, 12:17 PM   #41
Marten
Captain

About he half-time show, or whatever we call it, the sketch about how Swedish people act is pretty much on the spot. Deadly accurate.
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 12:31 PM   #42
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

What was that desperately unfunny 'guide' sketch about? That woman was as funny as lung cancer.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 12:49 PM   #43
Eyes
Commodore

I presume you're talking about Lynda Woodruff? She's a character created by Swedish singer Sarah Dawn Finer (the one who sang the ABBA cover later in the show).

The original sketch with her is from Melodifestivalen 2012, and that made fun of Azerbaijan hosting and her pretending to be a really dumb Essex girl who was doing things like not being able to pronounce Azer-aza-Aserba.. Baku (that sort of thing). That original sketch was reasonably good, the ones since in other Swedish Eurovision projects have worn the joke a bit thin and have nothing on the original.

The interval act with Petra was great - it's so good to see a host who's actually funny and entertaining, Sweden did really put on a great show.
Old May 19 2013, 01:17 PM   #44
Seven of Five
Commodore

I didn't enjoy Lynda in the semi-final I saw, but then I laughed more during the final. Maybe it was the help of drink, but I loved her comment about ABBA living in the royal palace.

Petra ruled. She's worn some great dresses as well.
Old May 19 2013, 01:52 PM   #45
MNM
Captain

stoneroses wrote: View Post
The uk are talking about pulling out of it next year can't say I blame them
Meh, maybe the UK should actually take it slightly more serous then. Ie not having some douchy "comedian" "rip the piss" on every broadcast year after year, not put in no hopers/washed up/never weres as their contestants and give them some good songs, and then maybe, just maybe, they will do a little better. We treat it like a joke and then get upset when the contest treats us the same in return.

Besides, there's always talk that the UK will pull out after every year, wont happen.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote