Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 18 2013, 10:28 AM   #631
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Going Veggie

Yeah. Tell her this crazy Janeway person ordered you at the butt end of a phaser to make her shop.

I guess you want to buy the food yourself and it gets awkward to have her pick it out and you pay for it rather than it just being in the house. So maybe if you tell her, "I need you to help me shop vegan!" and then pushily purchase it all it will be okay.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 05:16 PM   #632
Kenbushway
Captain

I have some really healthy pancake recipes if you interested. Vegetarians can eat white chocolate right?
Old May 18 2013, 06:56 PM   #633
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Anyway, five month update:

Blood Pressure: 124/78
Blood Glucose: 108!!!!

I'm thrilled about the blood pressure reading, but this is the first time my blood glucose has been this low in at least 3 years.

VEGETARIANISM: IT WORKS!
Good job, J. Allen. Congratulations!

teacake wrote: View Post
"I need you to help me shop vegan!"
This.

Also maybe check out whether there's a vegan restaurant around that you could take her to once.
Lumos Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 01:00 AM   #634
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Kenbushway wrote: View Post
I have some really healthy pancake recipes if you interested. Vegetarians can eat white chocolate right?
Vegans don't eat chocolate made with milk products.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 01:45 AM   #635
gturner
Admiral

Can't they eat bacon if the pig had been in a coma?
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 01:53 AM   #636
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Vegetarians can eat all the chocolate they want, so long as it's not chocolate covered meat. Vegans can eat all the chocolate they want, so long as there are no animal products (milk, honey, etc) in it. I don't know if there's a vegan version of white chocolate.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 02:01 AM   #637
gturner
Admiral

Not only is there vegan white chocolate, there's even Kosher vegan white chocolate.

Amazon has a few varieties.
Old May 19 2013, 02:05 AM   #638
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Sweet! Literally!

Old May 19 2013, 02:48 AM   #639
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I love smelly cheese.
Um, did I mention that with my ultra-sensitive nose I could never stomach that smelly cheese?!
Anyway, five month update:

Blood Pressure: 124/78
Blood Glucose: 108!!!!

I'm thrilled about the blood pressure reading, but this is the first time my blood glucose has been this low in at least 3 years.

VEGETARIANISM: IT WORKS!
Awesome job, my friend!
Old May 19 2013, 03:18 AM   #640
R. Star
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Yeah. Tell her this crazy Janeway person ordered you at the butt end of a phaser to make her shop.

I guess you want to buy the food yourself and it gets awkward to have her pick it out and you pay for it rather than it just being in the house. So maybe if you tell her, "I need you to help me shop vegan!" and then pushily purchase it all it will be okay.
We lived together when Voyager was originally airing, so she'd just take that as par for the course about the "crazy Janeway person" orders.

Definitely footing the bill though, I do want to be a gracious host but yeah... too much room to err. Oh and we already have two places we'll be going to as she loves them every time she comes into town. Shipley's Doughnuts(really) and Freebirds a kind of Tex-Mex place.
Old May 19 2013, 03:24 AM   #641
Kenbushway
Captain

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Vegetarians can eat all the chocolate they want, so long as it's not chocolate covered meat. Vegans can eat all the chocolate they want, so long as there are no animal products (milk, honey, etc) in it. I don't know if there's a vegan version of white chocolate.
Honey...seriously.
Old May 19 2013, 03:26 AM   #642
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Honey...seriously.
Bees make honey. I guess they think it is some form of slave labor...
Old May 19 2013, 03:48 AM   #643
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Sector 7 wrote: View Post

Honey...seriously.
Bees make honey. I guess they think it is some form of slave labor...
Don't be so judgemental, your own ethical boundaries are just as arbitrary as theirs -- you're just accustomed to them so they don't seem strange. For many vegans the philosophy is to live a life that is not reliant upon animal resources, at all. It's not just about animals being misused, it's about them not being used in any way. Among other things this means wearing no wool and eating no honey.

So you don't agree with that philosophy? That's fine, neither do I. But it's no more or less arbitrary than our own personal morals.

Old May 19 2013, 03:57 AM   #644
gturner
Admiral

Worker bees, throw off your chains!

How can bees not be eating vegan? All they do is gather pollen and nectar, both plant products. Then they do some magic bee stuff and make honey out of it, which they eat. So if you sit down to share some honey with some bees, how can they be eating vegan and you're not? If they're getting the honey from the crops humans planted and tend, wouldn't that make bees dependent on farmers and mean that vegan bees can't eat nectar because it's a human product? Wouldn't this line of logic mean that vegans can't eat food produced by other vegans because an animal (a hominid) was involved in its production?
Old May 19 2013, 03:58 AM   #645
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

I'd say if you are so ethical about harming cute little cows and piggies and chickens, you should be as ethical about sweets, or is human slave labor just fine?

http://www.slavefreechocolate.org/
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote