RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,703
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 788
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 17 2013, 03:43 PM   #946
Locutus of Bored
No Solicitors!

Re: Green Arrow (CW)

I don't have much to add that hasn't already been mentioned, except to say that this was a fantastic season finale worthy of one of my (surprisingly) favorite shows. I wasn't expecting much from this series before it premiered, but it's been great so far.

The second device destroying half the Glades, and the death of Tommy took me by surprise and should set up some interesting developments for Season Two. Loved the fight choreography and the Live Free or Die Hard way Ollie stabbed Merlyn. The earthquake scenes were epic in scope. I hope they don't do a time leap and give us something of a smaller scale No Man's Land story next season.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 05:26 PM   #947
Lighthammer
Fleet Captain

This is responding to stj and LaxScrutiny but since LaxScrutiny quoted stj, I'll try to keep the thoughts a little more consolidated using his post.

stj wrote: View Post
Moira knows that Oliver is hoodie. Their dialogue prior to her call for evacuation makes no sense otherwise.

Oliver should have wondered who tried to kill Malcolm Merlyn. And when he does he should realize that Walter's survival as a hostage proved that Moira was being coerced, making her the prime suspect as Merlyn's would-be assassin.

(Walter's certainty that Moira kidnapped him is irrational but the character is from another series and doesn't understand these things.)

Merlyn is established as maniacally vengeful meaning that all the Queens are his targets. Thea wanders about aimlessly and cluelessly and shouldn't last long, which should give Moira's speech about sacrificing her family some heavy weight.

But the thing about this exciting climax is that Oliver has achieved his goal. Why would he continue to be Green Arrow, especially since he hasn't assumed the identity at all?
I would agree that I think Oliver now knows enough to know that Walter was abducted because he got too close. But after a fashion, he knew that from about the mid season point when Felicity joined the team.

After that point, I guess the main question up until the second to the last few episodes for Ollie was: was Moira a willing party to Merlyn's plans.

LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
Moira knows that Oliver is hoodie. Their dialogue prior to her call for evacuation makes no sense otherwise.
I disagree. Moira knows that Oliver was tied to a chair listening as she admitted everything to The Hood. The conversation makes sense, Moira assuming that Ollie confronted Malcolm as Oliver and challenged him about what he had heard Moira admit.
I'd really disagree that Moira or anyone outside of "Green Arrow Cave Crew", Tommy and MAYBE Detective Lance know or think Ollie is Green Arrow.

Moira as Lax suggested, I believe Moira thought Ollie was taking things into his own hands and doing something. She might have feared Ollie himself making the press conference she did and she may have did that to protect him thinking he was going to do something similar. She knew Ollie knew a lot, but she really didn't know how much he knew.

Oliver should have wondered who tried to kill Malcolm Merlyn. And when he does he should realize that Walter's survival as a hostage proved that Moira was being coerced, making her the prime suspect as Merlyn's would-be assassin.
Agree with completely.[/QUOTE]

I don't think Ollie has quite pieced that together yet. He may be thinking that real strongly AFTER the news conference, but before that, I think its more like he thought it was Deadshot. After finding out Malcolm Merlyn was the Black Archer (aka Merlyn) he probably then thought it was probably thought it was Frank Chen.

Merlyn is established as maniacally vengeful meaning that all the Queens are his targets. Thea wanders about aimlessly and cluelessly and shouldn't last long, which should give Moira's speech about sacrificing her family some heavy weight.
Merlyn has Ollie in a strangle hold at the end, and states that his sister and mother will be killed shortly after. Merlyn isn't talking about the Glades, he is talking about murdering them himself. The danger that the entire family is in is evident.[/QUOTE]

Like in the comics, I frankly still get the vibe even as Ollie leaves Malcolm for dead that there is a great respect and fear of each other.

Keep in mind, Green Arrow and Merlyn have a relationship not unlike Batman and Ra's al Ghul. In Arrow, they've fostered this relationship. Up until a few episodes ago, both Malcolm and Ollie thought of each other as "virtual playboy millionaires" (I say virtually, because Malcolm is less of a playboy, but I hope you get my drift). As soon as each other realized how cut throat deadly the other was, you could seen an instant bond boone between them where they both mutually respected and feared each other. It all but makes for the perfect arch enemy.

Even as Ollie was hung in Merlyn Tower, Malcolm didn't want him dead, he wanted him to be on his side; but didn't have time to convince him that he was on the wrong side just then.

I don't think he'll be as "forgiving" later, but I don't think he'll be out for blood either.

But the thing about this exciting climax is that Oliver has achieved his goal. Why would he continue to be Green Arrow, especially since he hasn't assumed the identity at all?
The theme is that Merlyn had always been winning because Ollie didn't know what he was fighting for. At the end, Ollie thanks Merlyn for showing him what he is fighting for. Ollie actually has more reason to go on now, he is fighting for something rather than against a nebulous unknown something.[/QUOTE]

That's just it, he didn't accomplish his goals and in the midsts of fighting for his goals, some things changed forever.
Old May 17 2013, 05:28 PM   #948
Lighthammer
Fleet Captain

Wow that came out more disjointed then I had hoped --- I may have to go back when I have more time and re-edit it for quote clarity! >.<
Old May 17 2013, 09:44 PM   #949
stj
Rear Admiral

As to whether Moira has deduced that Oliver is hoodie, yes it's technically possible that Moira could have thought Oliver confronted Malcolm in his own person. It's not plausible to me that she would react so calmly to the news her son confronted the villain. Or accept so readily that he got away with it either. Maybe they just muffed her reaction a little in their haste to exposit and move on?

As to why Oliver would continue as hoodie. Merlyn has lost his empire, which means he's lost practically all his power. As for the rest of Merlyn's organization, publishing the book would be more effective now that piles of rubble make it believable evidence. The notion that hoodie can chase Merlyn the Moneyless better than the police tasks willing suspension of disbelief as much as the unfailing abilty of bullets to miss. On the other hand, he gets Laurel if he stays home at nights. (And I do hope that Laurel doesn't suddenly develop a fidelity to Tommy's corpse she didn't feel for the man.)
Old May 17 2013, 10:58 PM   #950
JD
Admiral

Wow, great finale. I thought they did a great job of giving us closure, but at the same time leaving plenty of stuff open for the next season. For me the biggest shocks were Moira's press conference and arrest and Tommy's death. I figured there was a chance someone would die, but I didn't think it would be Tommy. I was also rather shocked by Fyers death on the island, I expected the stuff with him to go on longer. I did not expect the second machine either, but I thought that was a great shock to end the season on. I really hope we pick right up there, at least at first. I'm really interested to see the immediate fallout of everything that happened.
I'm definitely exc
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 09:50 PM   #951
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Really nice collection of interviews with the cast after the finale.

http://www.greenarrowtv.com/video-ar...upfronts/14263
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 10:21 PM   #952
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post
Really nice collection of interviews with the cast after the finale.

http://www.greenarrowtv.com/video-ar...upfronts/14263
So wonder if there will be a directors cut of the final ep if there's soemthing to the extra 20mins of footage that Stephen Amell mention.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 01:11 AM   #953
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

If there is it would motivate me to buy the season on Blu-ray even more.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 09:19 PM   #954
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Arrow is doomed.

Seriously, it's great to see Summer Glau working on a show I like.
Old July 10 2013, 10:06 PM   #955
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Awesome news. Arrow gets some good guest stars for sure.
Old July 10 2013, 10:17 PM   #956
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Add Jewel too, please.
Old July 10 2013, 10:27 PM   #957
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Jewel is guesting on The Killing.
Old July 10 2013, 11:58 PM   #958
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
From the link:

Starting with Firefly, Glau has a long history in genre TV, including The 4400, Dollhouse, The Cape, Alphas and as the titular Terminator in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 01:25 AM   #959
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Maybe this is her big break. Chyler Leigh finally made it with Grey's Anatomy.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 03:18 AM   #960
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I finally dove into the series a few days ago and am addicted. I've already finished more than half the season, and can't wait for October 9th and Season 2 to get here.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote