Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.35%
A 161 21.64%
A- 100 13.44%
B+ 82 11.02%
B 58 7.80%
B- 27 3.63%
C+ 40 5.38%
C 38 5.11%
C- 24 3.23%
D+ 11 1.48%
D 13 1.75%
D- 10 1.34%
F 36 4.84%
Voters: 744. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 18 2013, 11:10 PM   #2941
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
Brent wrote: View Post

Films are supposed to be art which is completely subjective. This film and the last one just do not feel like Star Trek to me. If people like it, good for them. If they don't there is nothing wrong with that either.
Ahah it doesn't "feel like Star Trek" to you. However, the fact is, that it IS Star Trek, despite how you feel it should or shouldn't be. Like it or not, it is Star Trek, and there is a lot of Star Trek in there, not a "little".

All that said, point is, there is a lot of Star Trek in this Star Trek film, not a "little"
Whatever dude. Just be thankful they're making something you enjoy as "Star Trek".
You're still trying to frame his definition as subjective. It is Star Trek, in every objective sense of the word. Subjectively, your mileage may vary, but that doesn't change the fact that it is Star Trek.
3) I never know when to quit.
4)
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 11:11 PM   #2942
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
Can someone please tell me what the fuck a Star Trek film is?
Do we count "Galaxy Quest" or not?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 11:16 PM   #2943
ConRefit79
Captain

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Can someone please tell me what the fuck a Star Trek film is?
Do we count "Galaxy Quest" or not?
I would have to say no.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 11:18 PM   #2944
flemm
Fleet Captain

Count Zero wrote: View Post
Khan doesn't even flinch when he's accused of wanting to commit genocide on those he considers inferior, unlike Khan in "Space Seed" who tried to justify his past actions.
We see what destruction he alone can cause, first on Qo'nos, then onboard the Vengeance. Just imagine what 72 of those people could do.
He's a pretty generic super-charged heartless killer, really. Cumberbatch was good, and it works fine. But there's nothing there that I would describe as terrifying.

Adequate villainy for a movie like this is more how I would describe it. Doubtless the skull crush was intended to seem a little extreme, but... meh.

Which isn't to say the original Khan was "better." It's hard for me to really compare because I only saw that episode decades removed from its original context.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 11:21 PM   #2945
EnsignRicky
Commodore

While pounding Khan in the face, Spock should so totally have shouted: I, have had, enough, of you!!!
Old May 18 2013, 11:24 PM   #2946
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
It had a consistent theme to pull it together, but it lacks an essential element of the best Trek which is an idea at its center. You can't fault it too much for that though, because very few of the movies have managed to do that - really only TMP had a philosophical concept which drove the story action.
Both of Bad Robot's movies have focused squared on the "Nature vs Nurture" conundrum. And it continues to support, if not drive, the story action. How very different is Kirk in the two timelines?

And we have one Spock who was bonded to a Vulcan girl, played no-speaks with his father for 18(?) years, and embraced his human half in later years, versus a Spock who is in a romantic relationship with a human woman, loses his mother and his homeworld but maintains a positive relationship with his father, and embraces his human half at a much earlier age.

How don't those scenarios provoke philosophical conversations in the grand Star Trek tradition?
Old May 18 2013, 11:24 PM   #2947
ConRefit79
Captain

EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
While pounding Khan in the face, Spock should so totally have shouted: I, have had, enough, of you!!!
I was just ready for it to end long before then. I mean how did they go from lunar orbit to falling to earth so quickly? Not to mention from the Neutral Zone to earth in 3 minutes.
Old May 18 2013, 11:26 PM   #2948
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I was just ready for it to end long before then. I mean how did they go from lunar orbit to falling to earth so quickly? Not to mention from the Neutral Zone to earth in 3 minutes.
The movie answers these questions.
3) I never know when to quit.
4)
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 11:28 PM   #2949
Ubik
Commodore

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Brent wrote: View Post

Ahah it doesn't "feel like Star Trek" to you. However, the fact is, that it IS Star Trek, despite how you feel it should or shouldn't be. Like it or not, it is Star Trek, and there is a lot of Star Trek in there, not a "little".

All that said, point is, there is a lot of Star Trek in this Star Trek film, not a "little"
Whatever dude. Just be thankful they're making something you enjoy as "Star Trek".
You're still trying to frame his definition as subjective. It is Star Trek, in every objective sense of the word. Subjectively, your mileage may vary, but that doesn't change the fact that it is Star Trek.
When someone says, "It doesn't feel like Star Trek," what they mean is, "It doesn't feel like GOOD Star Trek," which is a perfectly valid statement.

I too am torn about this movie. As a fun, witty, action-adventure, it's quite a good movie. It's entertaining as hell, funny, tense, emotional, all those things you want from a space adventure spectacle.

But since when is the Star Trek property an action property? I honestly don't get it. None of the Star Trek shows are primarily action shows, and most of the movies are not primarily action movies. Even First Contact is more of a horror/thriller than an action movie (and a slow, thoughtful one at that.)

So why have Paramount and Abrams taken something that was really quite unique, and made it so common and mainstream? Sure, it's entertaining action, but entertaining action movie spectacles are a dime a dozen. These reboots don't feel like Star Trek, because they';re in a different genre than the franchise has been for almost 50 years. Wrath of Khan is not an action movie - the action is slow and dialogue-driven. This adrenaline rush stuff is standard Hollywood fare, but Star Trek has rarely had to rely on it before. The reason it doesn't feel like Star Trek is because now it feels like everything else. It feels less special, and more standard. Exciting and entertaining, absolutely. But standard.

It's funny. Lately, James Bond and Batman have rejuvenated their respective franchises and regained respect and popularity by becoming more serious, more complex, and more adult. Star Trek has rejuvenated its franchise and regained respect and popularity by doing the exact opposite - becoming simpler and more juvenile. I wonder why that is.
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 11:29 PM   #2950
Chi'pok
Lieutenant

Ok, I have now seen the movie. I am actually still nauseated from all of the up and down camera work... glad I didn't see it in IMAX or 3-D.

I thought it was kind of a mess. It had the makings of a great film. But...

*The effects were outstanding (with one exception).
*The jokes were good.
*The shoutouts were ok (some seemed forced).
*Enterprise looked fantastic. I'm glad we got several beauty shots.

Dislikes:
*NuSpock's behavior; started out pretty well; but by the last act... well, I'm not sure I buy it... I understand the desire to have him become more balanced; it just didn't really gell for me.
*The new warp effect; bring back the TMP effect.
*The back of the Enterprise (shuttle coming into the ship); it looks off scale; TMP Enterprise looked so much better (IMNSHO)
*The word for word dialogue from previous Treks... big let down for me. Especially the "big scene."

Mixed reaction:
*The plot: ok, I can buy the remixed version of Khan (esp. since Cumberbatch really did do an outstanding job), but it was all so jumpy. We went from one action sequence to another so quickly, the audience isn't really given time to absorb what's happening. Yes, there's exposition about the villain and his "family" (I liked Khan's explanation because it gave the audience a sustained episode of Cumberbatch's voice and delivery). I certainly felt that Khan was more of a threat than Marcus and his paranoid delusions (how do these people maintain positions at Starfleet?)

Audience reaction: fairly packed auditorium sized theater in downtown Silver Spring, Md. Some teenagers, some older people, and some people who brought toddlers (why?); they laughed at the jokes; I didn't hear any great gasps at the big reveal.

Final grade: C-
Chi'pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 11:30 PM   #2951
ConRefit79
Captain

J. Allen wrote: View Post
The movie answers these questions.
No it doesn't. They just thought it would be cool to have the ship fall to Earth and be saved.
Old May 18 2013, 11:30 PM   #2952
Lord Garth, FOI
Commander

Wondering if Spock senior might swap him some magic blood find himself a wormhole to his time period and inject a certain beloved Captain with the magic juice
Lord Garth, FOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 11:33 PM   #2953
ConRefit79
Captain

Lord Garth, FOI wrote: View Post
Wondering if Spock senior might swap him some magic blood find himself a wormhole to his time period and inject a certain beloved Captain with the magic juice
Old May 18 2013, 11:41 PM   #2954
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Ubik wrote: View Post
So why have Paramount and Abrams taken something that was really quite unique, and made it so common and mainstream?
Because not enough people were watching "Insurrection", "Voyager", "Nemesis" or "Enterprise".

Lately, James Bond and Batman have rejuvenated their respective franchises and regained respect and popularity by becoming more serious, more complex, and more adult. Star Trek has rejuvenated its franchise and regained respect and popularity by doing the exact opposite - becoming simpler and more juvenile. I wonder why that is.
Because gadget-ridden James Bond films - and particularly the garish and ludicrous "Batman and Robin" - had got loopier and loopier, so they pulled those franchises back to serious mode to be refreshed. "Nemesis" and "Enterprise" were criticized as being too serious so they went lighter and broader when being refreshed.

We've seen it with Star Trek before. After the seriousness of Khan's wrath and the business of resurrecting Spock, ST IV embraced comedy.
Old May 18 2013, 11:44 PM   #2955
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Ubik wrote: View Post
When someone says, "It doesn't feel like Star Trek," what they mean is, "It doesn't feel like GOOD Star Trek," which is a perfectly valid statement.
But what defines "good?"
I too am torn about this movie. As a fun, witty, action-adventure, it's quite a good movie. It's entertaining as hell, funny, tense, emotional, all those things you want from a space adventure spectacle.

But since when is the Star Trek property an action property? I honestly don't get it. None of the Star Trek shows are primarily action shows, and most of the movies are not primarily action movies. Even First Contact is more of a horror/thriller than an action movie (and a slow, thoughtful one at that.)
TWOK was very action-y, First Contact even more so (and to be honest, kinda dumb, blind action at that). DS9 was, for a good portion, a war show. TOS had fistfights and TNG had everything above. No, Star Trek is not "pure" action, but a very large portion is. Honestly, it was never this high-brow show, never. It tried to be at times, but it failed miserably.
So why have Paramount and Abrams taken something that was really quite unique, and made it so common and mainstream?
Because it's popular and critically good again? Ya know, like it used to be? I don't know about you, but I want to share the awesome that is Star Trek with everyone, not keep it in a box where it will gather dust and die.
Sure, it's entertaining action, but entertaining action movie spectacles are a dime a dozen. These reboots don't feel like Star Trek, because they';re in a different genre than the franchise has been for almost 50 years. Wrath of Khan is not an action movie - the action is slow and dialogue-driven. This adrenaline rush stuff is standard Hollywood fare, but Star Trek has rarely had to rely on it before. The reason it doesn't feel like Star Trek is because now it feels like everything else. It feels less special, and more standard. Exciting and entertaining, absolutely. But standard.
This Trek is both, adrenaline and dialogue. Especially this one.
It's funny. Lately, James Bond and Batman have rejuvenated their respective franchises and regained respect and popularity by becoming more serious, more complex, and more adult. Star Trek has rejuvenated its franchise and regained respect and popularity by doing the exact opposite - becoming simpler and more juvenile. I wonder why that is.
Well you're dead wrong. If anything, it grew up and grew out of it's old chains.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote