Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Name Of The Doctor"
Merlin 111 72.08%
Radagast the brown 30 19.48%
Barty crouch jr 5 3.25%
Destro 5 3.25%
Malekith 3 1.95%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 18 2013, 09:55 PM   #61
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Re: 7X13 The Name Of The Doctor(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS!)

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post

As for the poll, i have no idea who any of those names are apart from Merlin, so i just assumed the top name was top score, hope that's right.

It was a bit nonsensical but I choose Merlin because some assumed the doctor took up that role or is the inspiration for Merlin

The other 4 choices are previous roles the Doctor actors have played

Radagast the brown-McCoy
Barty- Tennant
Destro- Eccleston
Malkith- Eccleston in "Thor 2"
Old May 18 2013, 10:13 PM   #62
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

Fan Tas Tic!
Old May 18 2013, 10:28 PM   #63
StCoop
Commodore

So was there anything in there that hadn't been corrrectly revealed weeks ago? River hinting that there's some connection between her and Clara perhaps?

And what happened to the woman in the shop who gave Clara the Doctor's phone number? Another plot thread that's going to get dropped without being resolved?

Also, the episode would seem to confirm that The Silence were the good guys all along, trying to prevent the Universe from being destroyed.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 11:11 PM   #64
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Brilliant episode, not even the awful detective trio could ruin this one! Wish they'd give it up with those lot though.

Particularly loved all the classic doctors scenes. I noticed the first and sixth doctors the most.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 11:14 PM   #65
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

Amazing stuff. It sounded underwhelming when I read the plot, but it was just lovely seeing it. It felt like the most captivating episode in the season, or perhaps second after Asylum of the Daleks.

My only complaint: I wanted to see how Clara became a Dalek in AotD. To see how her choice to go inside the timestream had grim consequences for her. It must have been one hell of a moment for her. And one hell of an emotional scene in there.

Another thing, was John Hurt's Doctor always the intention or a last minute cop out? Although it does sound like the latter, the ninth never felt as affected by those terrible things, it is a fitting retcon. Although I would have preferred to see Eccleston in the part (as much as John Hurt will probably be an excellent Doctor).
Old May 18 2013, 11:32 PM   #66
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Loved that to pieces, and the first time in awhile I've wanted to rewatch an episode.

* Why couldn't they have made Clara this loveable earlier in the series? Hopefully now tha the 'mystery' is solved they can start developing her as a person.

* I was ready to throw a fit when they killed off Jenny. Thank god it was only temporary.

* Found it a bit odd that the First Doctor and Susan were already dressed in their 1960's outfits when they leave Gallifrey. And no sign of the Hand of Omega? I guess they pick it up at some later point?
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; May 18 2013 at 11:51 PM.
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 11:36 PM   #67
Iamnotspock
Captain

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
My only complaint: I wanted to see how Clara became a Dalek in AotD. To see how her choice to go inside the timestream had grim consequences for her. It must have been one hell of a moment for her. And one hell of an emotional scene in there.
We saw it in Asylum...
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 11:48 PM   #68
MacLeod
Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post

As for the poll, i have no idea who any of those names are apart from Merlin, so i just assumed the top name was top score, hope that's right.

It was a bit nonsensical but I choose Merlin because some assumed the doctor took up that role or is the inspiration for Merlin

The other 4 choices are previous roles the Doctor actors have played

Radagast the brown-McCoy
Barty- Tennant
Destro- Eccleston
Malkith- Eccleston in "Thor 2"
Merlin, Radagast and Barty are also all wizards.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 12:01 AM   #69
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

So Dorian was correct, the fall of Eleven occurred when the doctors name is revealed, and what's really great, his name is a non issue, it's the secret that gets revealed to Clara, Eleven isn't Eleven, he's Twelve, he's the Doctor who ended and probably fought the Time War, instead of healing, helping and generally not killing people like a good doctor should, this Doctor did the complete opposite, used the Moment to end the Last Great Time War killing untold numbers and then regenerated into Ecelscakes. Brilliant.

May I just say, I fucking loved this episode.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 12:22 AM   #70
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Mmh, I think I prefer the idea that John Hurt is the actual first Doctor.
Old May 19 2013, 12:28 AM   #71
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

In Battlefield it was established that the Future Doctor, unless he was a future mirror universe Doctor, known as Merlin was a ginger.

Is this like how Q didn't recognize O'Brien?

Did she actively fight the intelligence, or just materialize on top of the bugger dispersing him sneaky like.

She was a Timelord.

For a duration, she had a timelord brain on her shoulders, but than for another duration she had no shoulders and a Dalek brain... How many species did she assume?

What she was wearing in the past.

Are we assuming that Clara was also Sara-Jane, Zoe and Ace?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 12:36 AM   #72
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Is it November yet? A very fun episode, Merlin, yes. Strax is one of my favorite characters in the Doctor's long history. Clara's mystery was solved with just enough drama without going over into Super-companion. Hurt's Doctor, maybe the Time War Doctor, or the one who falls at Trenzalore. I don't expect to see River back. This episode gave her and the Doctor a satisfying ending, however, with her grave at Trenzalore, the Doctor might find a way to get River out of the Library sometime in the future. I guess we could see her back in November, then. Still not November, yet, damn.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star!' Endora on witches in Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 12:39 AM   #73
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Cutter John wrote: View Post
* Why couldn't they have made Clara this loveable earlier in the series? Hopefully now tha the 'mystery' is solved they can start developing her as a person.
I don't know about you, but I thought she was loveable all along, from her very first appearance in Asylum.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 12:39 AM   #74
timelord1010
Captain

Count Zero wrote: View Post
Mmh, I think I prefer the idea that John Hurt is the actual first Doctor.
I like that idea too. Everyone knows that the Doctor was involved in the Time War and what he did. Tennant's Doctor mentioned it to Rose and his other companions several times so why keep his regeneration from that time secret.

It has to be the "pre" Doctor who eventually became Hartnell's Doctor and he did something so bad that he had to steal a TARDIS and leave Gallifrey and spend the rest of his lives trying to make up for it. But then even the end credits say John Hurt is The Doctor so we have to wait till November to see.
timelord1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 12:41 AM   #75
Eyes
Commodore

View Eyes's Twitter Profile

Cutter John wrote: View Post
* I was ready to throw a fit when they killed off Jenny. Thank god it was only temporary.
I was thinking that (and really sad with it too). The way she said 'I think I've been murdered' really chilled me. I love her character so I'm glad she didn't stay dead.

Excellent episode all round, some really good use of tying up some arcs and answering questions - and now the question of John Hurt's Doctor, which looks like a very interesting mystery.