Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 18 2013, 02:32 PM   #31
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission

Actually, especially given the opening of FC, now I'm wondering whether Riker was left on the E in order to keep an eye on Picard after his experiences and be ready to take command if necessary.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 04:27 PM   #32
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

I'm beginning to think that Riker stayed on the Enterprise because he was a creepy stalker who spent 15 years being stuck in the "friend zone" with Troi.
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 05:09 PM   #33
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

After BoBW, Picard should have been put on the beach for awhile. The episode Family reinforces this opinion for me. The guy had some issues and needed to sit out the game and get his head back together. At least, Starfleet shoud have put him in an administrative post somewhere - commandant of the Academy, perhaps.

With that out of the way, you promote Riker to Captain, and Enterprise continues along it's merry way.
Old May 18 2013, 05:10 PM   #34
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Well, if we're being pedantic. Wouldn't it be a field promotion since Riker is already a commissioned officer? A field commission refers to enlisted personnel being temporarily promoted to an officers rank. Riker might have been made a Brevet Captain. Brevet being a term for a temporary promotion. For example, George Custer was made a Brevet Maj. General in the Civil War, but reverted to being a Captain after the war and died Lt Colonel at Little Bighorn.
Old May 18 2013, 10:13 PM   #35
Marcus Porcius Cato
Commander

I think after BOBW, Picard really couldn't go anywhere, he can't be promoted without (rationality aside) enraging friends and families of Wolf 359, just look at how Ben Sisko acted toward him in DS9. Yer he cannot be removed due to his ability and achievement to the date. Nor can he be held responsible for the Borg's actions.

Maybe it was around this time Riker decided that he was happy where he was, or that running out on Picard at this time would offend a lot of Picard supporters in the Fleet.

Mencius, Chinese Philosopher (c. 372-289 BCE)
Marcus Porcius Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 11:50 PM   #36
Lee Enfield
Lieutenant

GameOn wrote: View Post
I'm beginning to think that Riker stayed on the Enterprise because he was a creepy stalker who spent 15 years being stuck in the "friend zone" with Troi.
...ohh, and then he got his happy end. Still, funny interpretation.
Lee Enfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 01:09 AM   #37
Tiberius
Commodore

DonIago wrote: View Post
Actually, especially given the opening of FC, now I'm wondering whether Riker was left on the E in order to keep an eye on Picard after his experiences and be ready to take command if necessary.
Beat you to it! Post 20. :P
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 01:47 AM   #38
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Marcus Porcius Cato wrote: View Post
I think after BOBW, Picard really couldn't go anywhere, he can't be promoted without (rationality aside) enraging friends and families of Wolf 359, just look at how Ben Sisko acted toward him in DS9. Yer he cannot be removed due to his ability and achievement to the date. Nor can he be held responsible for the Borg's actions.

Maybe it was around this time Riker decided that he was happy where he was, or that running out on Picard at this time would offend a lot of Picard supporters in the Fleet.
So much for the 'enlightened sensibilities of the future.'
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 04:10 AM   #39
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I never bought the whole "enlightened sensibilities" aspect. Look at Roman politics 2000 years ago. They were every bit as corrupt as they are today. I just don't see humanity fundamentally changing on a base level in a mere 200 years.
Old May 19 2013, 04:47 AM   #40
Tiberius
Commodore

I think the loss of money has a lot to do with it. How much corruption today and in the past is caused by the desire for money?
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 05:30 AM   #41
Jazz
Ensign

View Jazz's Twitter Profile

It always seemed to me that for Riker, serving on the Federation's flagship vessel was a far bigger career move than taking his own command of a lesser known ship. The missions they were assigned to and the situations they got themselves into would have been far more adventures, while the people they met along their adventures would be the most important in the quadrant, not to mention the opportunities he could create by being associated with the flagship.

Also, maybe he was waiting for the Picard's luck (or heart) to catch up with him so he could swoop in and permanently take over command of the Enterprise.
Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 05:56 AM   #42
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Jazz wrote: View Post
It always seemed to me that for Riker, serving on the Federation's flagship vessel was a far bigger career move than taking his own command of a lesser known ship. The missions they were assigned to and the situations they got themselves into would have been far more adventures, while the people they met along their adventures would be the most important in the quadrant, not to mention the opportunities he could create by being associated with the flagship.

Also, maybe he was waiting for the Picard's luck (or heart) to catch up with him so he could swoop in and permanently take over command of the Enterprise.
Eh the "career move" would've been to take the promotion. Being second in command of the A team as opposed to captain of the B team is personal preference.
Old May 19 2013, 04:16 PM   #43
Lance
Commodore

Yeah, it seems clear to me that, at least by TBOBW, Riker's priorities in life had changed. The upwardly mobile career man from season one who had left Deanna behind because he saw the opportunities of advancement had given way to somebody who was more comfortable in his own boots. Multiple times over the TNG run we get the situation of Riker being in effective command of the Enterprise, and he never seems completely happy about it. Putting aside the actual circumstances of his 'promotion' in BOBW, I'm not convinced Riker really had a thirst for Captaincy by that stage.

It wasn't so much the idea of being first officer on the Enterprise being better than captain of any other ship. IMO it was more that he'd settled into a groove where he was happy, and he changed his priorities accordingly. As long as Picard still wanted him there he was happy to remain Jean-Luc's XO. Occasional moments (Shelby, Admiral Pressman, Thomas Riker) saw him get a bit introspective about exactly why he changed his priorities, but it seems obvious to me that the guy we met in season one who had a fire in his belly for command was not the same man we saw through most of the series' run.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 10:39 PM   #44
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Besides, given how much action the D gets, simply hanging around and waiting for Picard to be blasted ain't a bad strategy for making captain either.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 09:05 PM   #45
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Well he did say at the end of Generations "I always thought I'd get a shot at this chair" while standing in the charred remains of the E-D's bridge.

I do like someone else's suggestion that his real reason for staying on the Enterprise was to keep an eye on Picard after the he was captured by the Borg. They could have developed some interesting stories out of that premise.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote