Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old May 13 2013, 09:09 PM   #16
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Re: "Is Battlestar Galactica in Suspended Animation?"

Whatever next incarnation BSG takes, I personally hope Singer stays away from it. Before this last, most recent "back burner" iteration, he "back burner'd" it for the failed remake of The Munsters. X-Men I can see, particularly with his history in the franchise, but The Munsters? Really??? Feh! IMO, the dude has a serious priorities problem and I don't want him anywhere near BSG.
Old May 13 2013, 11:11 PM   #17
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

hyzmarca wrote: View Post
You can totally do a far future setting where the descendants of the Redstripe Centurions have been nearly wiped out by their rebellious creations, the humans, and are searching for their brethren on a mythical planet called Earth.
That could work, in a way...

Perhaps the original BSG series is in fact the sequel. Meaning: After the events of nuBSG, the Cylons went back and rebuilt the colonies. Cleaned them up, reconstructed human civilization as best they knew it, and repopulated all twelve worlds. Eventually they forgot that they were Cylons and believed themselves to be human. And in due course, encountered an alien race of robots to which, due to some ancient racial memory, these 'humans' gave the name Cylons. Thus, in BSG-TOS, every human character we see is actually a descendant of humanoid Cylons.
Old May 13 2013, 11:54 PM   #18
Third Nacelle
Captain

This. Times 1,000.
Dream wrote: View Post
Not everything needs a sequel/prequel/remake.
The last BSG was great. It ended while it was still great. Just because a show is successful doesn't mean you need to keep redoing it until it fails.
Old May 16 2013, 04:00 PM   #19
jayceee
Commander

This may sound crazy.

Could Blade Runner be viewed as an unofficial "sequel" to nuBSG, with Gaff being a descendent of Adama (both played by Edward James Olmos)?
Old May 16 2013, 05:21 PM   #20
Harvey
Admiral

Olmos has frequently suggested the idea, actually.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old May 18 2013, 09:17 PM   #21
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
Yeah, BSG is really not a good format for spin offs.
Pretty much. The only spinoff idea worth anything was Caprica (in part because it originated as an idea for an original series), and we saw how that turned out.

Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica, like Babylon 5, Firefly and Farscape before it, is not well suited to franchising in the way Star Trek is - that it closed its big conceptual loop and answered the probing questions of its universe could leave any prequel series - and it'd almost certainly have to be prequel - feeling a bit redundant.

It's best to just wait for the next thing. Maybe Defiance (which has a fair number of ex-BSG writers and Bear McCreary) could become that. Or some other show.
Old May 21 2013, 08:49 AM   #22
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

jayceee wrote: View Post
This may sound crazy.

Could Blade Runner be viewed as an unofficial "sequel" to nuBSG, with Gaff being a descendent of Adama (both played by Edward James Olmos)?

Or a prequel, depending on what part of the cycle you're looking at.
Old May 23 2013, 03:41 AM   #23
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

^ Perhaps it can be both!

It could in fact be an endless loop. Meaning: Some time in the future of Blade Runner, Earth sends out colony ships. They are swept back in time and found a new world...naming it Kobol. Thus, a closed time loop.

"All of this has happened before, all of this will happen again..." taken literally.
Old May 28 2013, 02:37 AM   #24
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
Tom wrote: View Post
Yeah, BSG is really not a good format for spin offs.
Pretty much. The only spinoff idea worth anything was Caprica (in part because it originated as an idea for an original series), and we saw how that turned out.

Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica, like Babylon 5, Firefly and Farscape before it, is not well suited to franchising in the way Star Trek is - that it closed its big conceptual loop and answered the probing questions of its universe could leave any prequel series - and it'd almost certainly have to be prequel - feeling a bit redundant.

It's best to just wait for the next thing. Maybe Defiance (which has a fair number of ex-BSG writers and Bear McCreary) could become that. Or some other show.
I think you are largely right when it comes to the re-imagined BSG and Farscape (thanks the Peacekeeper Wars mini), but I think Babylon 5 and Firefly have a lot of franchise potential.

With Babylon 5, even though the Babylon stations are finite, JMS created an interesting universe around the Babylon stations to play with. Granted Crusade, Legend of the Rangers and his untold tales series didn't take off but I chalk up Crusade's failure at least to network interference. I think there's a rich past, present (running alongside the Babylon 5 series), and future that could be mined in that universe.

As for Firefly since the Alliance's ultimate fate is still unknown, I think there's still life left in Firefly. Plus we never saw much from the Alliance perspective. And there's also the war they could always go back to and dramatize.
Old June 13 2013, 02:06 AM   #25
SiddFinch1
Captain

jayceee wrote: View Post
This may sound crazy.

Sure. Throw in the terminators too

Really anything can with robots/androids can fit in if you want
Old June 13 2013, 01:13 PM   #26
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

IIRC, "I, Robot" was one of the first.
Old June 17 2013, 01:05 AM   #27
Snow Miser
I'm Too Much

View Snow Miser's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Snow Miser Send a message via AIM to Snow Miser

I'd love to see something more done with the Cylon God aspect. They portray it as some sort of being with a will of its own and that it arranged it so humans and cylons finally ended the cycle and found peace on Earth. But to do it, it arranged that Cylons were made on Caprica, they rebel and eventually kill billions of people. Something that had been repeated several times before.
Old June 17 2013, 09:45 PM   #28
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

^ I'm firmly of the conviction that the 'Cylon God' in nuBSG is their version of Count Iblis. That is EXACTLY the thing he would do (and, in the original series, actually did).
Old June 23 2013, 11:43 PM   #29
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

I think this BSG project is not so much in suspended animation as buried in a shallow grave in a forest somewhere, despite some of the hardcore TOS "purists" claiming that now NuBSG is over they'll get a "proper" continuation/remake - to the old hands amongst us, the phrase languatron brings a feeling of foreboding and dread! For the unenlightened, be prepared for dedication and hatred of a show unmatched on any Trek BBS post you are ever likely to see if you ever encounter him!

Back to the subject, Count Iblis could have been something interesting to explore in the show, but I think they wanted the gods to be an unseen mysterious aspect rather than actually seen as in Iblis/Ship of Lights.

Last edited by solariabsg25; June 24 2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old June 25 2013, 04:16 PM   #30
KGator
Lieutenant Commander

stj wrote: View Post
The new BattleStar Galactica was a 9/11 series.
While BSG explored many themes from current events, to call it a 9/11 series is not entirely accurate. Had this show been shown closer to 9/11 it would probably have adversely affected its popularity (too close to a tragic event).

The further 9/11 recedes in time, the less significant the series.
I disagree since themes of terrorists, torture, suicide attacks, war, etc are long term themes in human culture. They didn't begin this century and they won't end this century.

In the end the series can only be remembered for its dramatic merits, which are pretty much nonexistent.
I strongly dissagree. I feel that BSG was one of the strongest and best acted science fiction series outside SGU.

Losing the war against Iraq derailed the series even as it was broadcast.
We lost the war in Iraq? Or is this from the Iraqi separatist point of view. I don't think BSG was a major show in the middle east though.

Its only chances of revival lie in another 9/11.
For many of the reason's stated above, I strongly dissagree.