A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Name Of The Doctor"
Merlin 111 72.08%
Radagast the brown 30 19.48%
Barty crouch jr 5 3.25%
Destro 5 3.25%
Malekith 3 1.95%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 18 2013, 08:20 PM   #46
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Re: 7X13 The Name Of The Doctor(Grading/Discussion)(SPOILERS!)

Hmm....four hours and change to go. And apparently it's geekgasmingly awesome. Great.

So this episode resolves all the "The 50th Special doesn't have enough past doctors!" angst? And John Hurt shows up at the end? Well I figured it would either be him or Tennant and Piper (was hoping the latter), but good to know it's worth looking forward to.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 08:20 PM   #47
Jax
Admiral

I do the like idea about him being linked to the Time War, Imagine if the 8th Doctor (McGann's) aged so Hurt could play him and that 8th Doctor was the one who ended the Time War, he said...

What I did, I did without choice, in the name of peace & sanity
He potentially killed Billions, maybe trillions to end the Time War.
Old May 18 2013, 08:21 PM   #48
diankra
Commodore

Ok, some bits of much-loved 'fanon' which get sort-of ruled out by tonight...

Huge amounts of Virgin/BBC books continuity. (I refer the honourable gentlemen to the past posts regarding Mad Larry.)

The Doctor wasn't generally called the Doctor until Ian and Barbara started calling him it in the absence of a name.

When the Doctor stole the TARDIS, it was like running off with a company car - he took the TARDIS he'd already been using on official Time Lord business up till then.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 08:26 PM   #49
SeerSGB
Admiral

The bit with Clara being there when the Doctor takes the Tardis did bug me a tiny bit--given what was said in "The Doctor's Wife". Then again, this was after the Great Intelligence started fucking over his timeline so she. more or less, repaired the damage.
Old May 18 2013, 08:28 PM   #50
inflatabledalek
Captain

Old May 18 2013, 08:31 PM   #51
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I've watched the bonus video of Matt Smith and David Tennant a few times.

The thought that occurs to me watching it -- someone, some day is going to produce a series of Doctor Who that stars two Doctors. I'm not talking a single story. I'm talking a run of episodes (8 to 13), with two Doctors. Matt and David clearly have a good rapport in that video, and if there were a run of episodes with the two of them in the TARDIS together it might be nonsensical but it would certainly be a hell of a lot of fun.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 08:33 PM   #52
diankra
Commodore

Intflatable Dalek, re: River - not quite. Her comment of 'Spoilers' seems to imply that there's at least one more encounter between the earlier River the later Doctor still to come.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 08:38 PM   #53
Lonemagpie
Writer

diankra wrote: View Post
Intflatable Dalek, re: River - not quite. Her comment of 'Spoilers' seems to imply that there's at least one more encounter between the earlier River the later Doctor still to come.
We know he still has turn up at her door withe a new haircut and a suit, to give her the sonic.

They're both time travellers, so can meet in any order

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 08:39 PM   #54
Eliczo
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Loved it, had a nice story, wonderful scenes at the beginning of The Doctor & Susan stealing the tardis, and loved the ending, I think John Hurt played the 9th Doctor and subsquent Doctors dont consider him worthy of the title.
Eliczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 08:53 PM   #55
inflatabledalek
Captain

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
We know he still has turn up at her door withe a new haircut and a suit, to give her the sonic.

Oh, I'm sure they could have lots of off-screen out of order meet ups, it just felt like it was written as a final scene for her in the show itself. It'll seem a slightly OTT way of saying goodbye if she pops up again any time soon at least.
Old May 18 2013, 08:57 PM   #56
Jax
Admiral

inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post

Oh, I'm sure they could have lots of off-screen out of order meet ups, it just felt like it was written as a final scene for her in the show itself. It'll seem a slightly OTT way of saying goodbye if she pops up again any time soon at least.
I thought River travelled with the Doctor for a while after he loss Amy n Rory so I would of assumed all that happened and she is dead to him now their timelines crossing are done.
Old May 18 2013, 09:16 PM   #57
SeerSGB
Admiral

Going to have to break with my rule about buying split-season DVD sets and get this one just to get a hard-copy of this episode
Old May 18 2013, 09:19 PM   #58
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I'm kind of gobsmacked at the moment, that it easily the biggest piece of fanwank ever but I'm not, well, I'm not quite sure it's makes much sense or is a good idea. There are things here that would make any long time fan grin but...it's just full on stream of consciousness, I don't know...
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 09:31 PM   #59
beamMe
Fleet Captain

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
The bit with Clara being there when the Doctor takes the Tardis did bug me a tiny bit--given what was said in "The Doctor's Wife".
Maybe Clara is/ends up being the heart, the soul of the Tardis.
Then she really would have chosen him.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 09:34 PM   #60
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Well, I really only have this to say: holy fuck.

It started off with a bang, Clara trying to communicate with all those Doctors. Thanks to the lower picture quality of the older material it even looked like one of the crappier colour separation overlay scenes from the old show. An unintended additional homage.
And then it ended with an even bigger bang. I thought the episode would end with Clara being trapped in the timestream and the Doctor jumping in after her. Then the anniversary special could have been the two Doctors teaming up to save her. But instead we got something much more intriguing, a non-Doctor Doctor.
It has the added benefit of making sense out of the Doctor's name mystique. I quite like that.

There were some minor weaknesses towards the end with the pacing. It was all a bit too much exposition for my taste but otherwise it was fantastic. I did love the scene where we see the first consequences of the Doctor's timestream being poisoned when Strax tries to kill Vastra. That actually felt more terrible to me than the stars disappearing.

I must say that the whispering men were terrifying villains. That scene where they were about to kill the Doctor's friends and were unstoppable was great.

I'm sooo looking forward to the anniversary special.

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I've watched the bonus video of Matt Smith and David Tennant a few times.
I've only watched it once so far. Is it just me or does Tennant seem a bit out of place in the Doctor's costume? It's funny because he's still my favourite Doctor and Matt Smith is actually my least favourite one but somehow seeing Tennant back in the costume looked odd to me.

The anniversary special will be awesome.