Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 18 2013, 05:02 PM   #16
Faria
Lieutenant

Re: Would you like a bsg style reboot of Star trek?

ah, i forgot:

- no holodeck, one o f the biggest sping of incoherence of star trek
Faria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 05:03 PM   #17
Faria
Lieutenant

nightwind1 wrote: View Post
So, no Star Trek, then?
I think that witout this elements star trek could be better
Old May 18 2013, 05:05 PM   #18
USS Firefly
Commander

I can be wrong but I believe BSG was a real reboot and Star Trek not, Star Trek was a time travel movie were they are not going back to the 24th century.
So they had some rules to follow
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 05:25 PM   #19
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Faria wrote: View Post
-no alien
-no superweapons
-no magic technology (transponder,replicator,universal translator)
-no particle of the week
-with more internal coherence
-no time travel
No warp drive, no transporter, no Vulcans (including no Spock), no Data, no Klingons... might make a perfectly decent show, but it wouldn't be Star Trek.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 05:28 PM   #20
Faria
Lieutenant

Another thing:

no turbolift.

Really, they have no sense, they are just a wwaste of space.

Maybe they can have some sense in a ship like Ent-D with a sauder section of 460 m, but just to connect stratetic point of the ship (bridge, engineering, officer quarters, shuttle bay)
Old May 18 2013, 05:32 PM   #21
Faria
Lieutenant

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post

No warp drive, no transporter, no Vulcans (including no Spock), no Data, no Klingons... might make a perfectly decent show, but it wouldn't be Star Trek.
Warp drive remains but with respected limits.

Transponder are out

Data is not magic, it's possible

Vulcans and klingon remain, but as inhabitants of colonies of human who has evolved peculiar feaures
Old May 18 2013, 05:35 PM   #22
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

I loved Moore's response to this very question, if he were to reboot Star Trek the way he did BSG. His response was that there are just some things that are quintessential Star Trek, so a successful reboot would have to incorporate them. Phasers are at the heart of Trek; lasers were not key to BSG, so they could change that into bullets.

While a reboot that goes into more basic and fundamental themes of Trek would be fun to watch, there are just some staples and tropes that can't be eliminated. However, determining those staples and tropes has always been a point of debate among Trekkies. Imo, we need, in no particular order, phasers, warp drive, torpedoes, Horatio Hornblower in Space, space exploration, crew diversity, forehead aliens (though there's always room for imaginative, horrific, or just plain complex aliens), and social commentary in the form of analogy.

I could use less time travel and technobabble-as-conflict-resolution, though.
Old May 18 2013, 05:41 PM   #23
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I was disappointed by 2009 reboot of star trek because i hoped it was an opportunity to put off the most naif part of star trek. Unfortunately the reboot highlight the part of star trek i don't like.

I'd like tp see a reboot of star trek like the reboot of BSG:

-no alien
-no superweapons
-no magic technology (transponder,replicator,universal translator)
-no particle of the week
-with more internal coherence
-no time travel
ecc

and you?
How would it still be "Star Trek" without these elements? No strange new worlds, no new life and new civilization?

Warp drive is pretty magical, so no FTL travel?

What do you mean "more internal coherence"? For group a shows and films produced in a time that spans nearly five decades and by several different people its coherence, either by accident or design, is rather amazing.
1- see above

2- yes, but it is necessarry for the show

3-I mean a warp scale respected; for example
1) How is that Star Trek? As someone said, that sounds like Firefly. Plus the alien cultures are part of what sets Star Trek apart.

2) But the other "magical" no magic technologies are not?

3) Which warp scale? Most shows, even BSG move at the speed of plot.

USS Firefly wrote:
I can be wrong but I believe BSG was a real reboot and Star Trek not, Star Trek was a time travel movie were they are not going back to the 24th century.
So they had some rules to follow
You would be wrong.
Star Trek was a reboot. The time travel was an excuse to change things. (a reboot) The focus was clearly on the 23rd Century.

While BSG was a reboot it also stuck to the basic concepts of the original. Human-Cylon war. Colonies destroyed. Ragtag fleet fleeing the Cylons looking for a lost Colony called Earth. It's tone was different, much darker with less "likable" characters. That's what sets it apart from the original.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 05:49 PM   #24
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Another thing:

no turbolift.

Really, they have no sense, they are just a wwaste of space.

Maybe they can have some sense in a ship like Ent-D with a sauder section of 460 m, but just to connect stratetic point of the ship (bridge, engineering, officer quarters, shuttle bay)
Do they take up more space than stairs? Because that would be the alternative. They're probably quicker that stairs, ladders and winding corridors. So, yeah they make sense.

Androids are "magic". You know what's even more "magical" Androids/robots/AIs that are indistinguishable from humans
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old May 18 2013, 06:16 PM   #25
Faria
Lieutenant

Do they take up more space than stairs? Because that would be the alternative. They're probably quicker that stairs, ladders and winding corridors. So, yeah they make sense.
No, they have non sense, esoecially for that I see in deckplans on internet, they are just a waste of space

Androids are "magic". You know what's even more "magical" Androids/robots/AIs that are indistinguishable from humans[/QUOTE]

data is plausible, we already have some robots who can looks human
Old May 18 2013, 06:38 PM   #26
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

No, they have non sense, esoecially for that I see in deckplans on internet, they are just a waste of space
You'll have to elaborate on that. What makes them a waste of space. Because increasing the ability to get from one area of the ship to another quickly would seem to make perfect sense.

Most deck plans are fan created. The ones we see in the show are pretty bare bones.

Androids are "magic". You know what's even more "magical" Androids/robots/AIs that are indistinguishable from humans
data is plausible, we already have some robots who can looks human
Looks like a mannequin

Looking human is the "baby" step. A Data and especially a Six is far beyond anything we have right now.
Old May 18 2013, 06:39 PM   #27
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Good God, no.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:46 PM   #28
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Faria, I don't understand your problem with turbo lifts. Do you object to elevators in tall buildings?

And just because a robot looks remarkably human doesn't mean that it necessarily acts all that human. The external appearance is the easy part.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 07:02 PM   #29
Faria
Lieutenant

Faria, I don't understand your problem with turbo lifts. Do you object to elevators in tall buildings?

And just because a robot looks remarkably human doesn't mean that it necessarily acts all that human. The external appearance is the easy part.
1- my problem with turbolifts is that they go horizontally

2- the photo of the robot I post is of a robot able to imitate human facial expressions
Old May 18 2013, 07:08 PM   #30
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

1- my problem with turbolifts is that they go horizontally

2- the photo of the robot I post is of a robot able to imitate human facial expressions
1) And that would be wrong why? Ever been to a large airport?

2) Still a far cry from a Data or a Six.