RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,676
Members: 24,202
Currently online: 774
Newest member: wendelcarree

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 18 2013, 05:58 AM   #181
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Build-Up to The Office Finale

It was cute but I felt a little distanced because the show, for me, felt like it ended when Michael Scott left.
Old May 18 2013, 07:35 AM   #182
chrisspringob
Commodore

The Andy auto tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ks_wf1O0mA

I'm guessing we'll see that Rodgers "You're just not good" spliced into video mashups of Packer games for years to come.
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 12:11 PM   #183
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I'm glad there's not a literal film crew in Parks & Rec...
Says who?
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 03:39 PM   #184
Scout101
Admiral

Right. There wasn't in The Office. Until there was...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 03:47 PM   #185
Pingfah
Admiral

Michael's opening line was absolutely spot on. Very funny and touching finale, really enjoyed it.

- Richard "Richie" Richard
Pingfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 04:04 PM   #186
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
1001001 wrote: View Post
The only part I didn't like was Ryan's baby thing. That was unnecessary and kinda dumb, IMHO.
I don't know what to think about that. I like that they didn't attempt to redeem everyone or give them all ideal endings, and given Ryan's (and Kelly's) narcissism and immaturity it's not unbelievable that he might do something like that, but it still kind of left a sour note with me.
Me too.

They could have had basically the same ending if both Ryan and Kelly had brought dates to the wedding and left them there to run off with each other. That would have been consistent with their characters.

It's one thing to dump a girlfriend/boyfriend. It's another to purposely sicken and then abandon your own baby.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 05:20 PM   #187
J.T.B.
Commodore

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
The only thing I didn't like was the questions/comments at the panel for Pam, basically criticizing her for being upset at Jim over his job in Philadelphia. I didn't really understand this or why they weren't criticizing Jim instead, who I felt was much more at fault. He put Pam in an impossible situation. I thought that part of the panel was weird and wasn't necessary.
I thought that was pretty one-sided, too. My guess is that was put in to position Pam as more of the inflexible, un-trusting party in their dispute so her grand gesture later on would have more impact.
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 05:50 PM   #188
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Right. There wasn't in The Office. Until there was...
Wasn't the pilot episode about the documentary crew starting to record them? And throughout, there were comments, usually from Jan, asking Michael if he was being taped while she was talking to him.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 07:43 PM   #189
Hunter X
Rear Admiral

Yeah, the characters in The Office would interact with the camera crew every so often from the beginning. The conceit was dropped when it was convenient, though...that is, when they had to show footage of something a documentary crew probably wouldn't actually have access to.

I don't think the people in Parks and Rec have ever interacted with the cameras in the same way, aside from the occasional mugging.
Hunter X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 04:11 AM   #190
Goji
Rear Admiral

This interview with the head writer for Parks and Recreation, Mike Schur, seems to indicate they have no interest in making the documentary crew part of the plot like The Office reportedly has (I've not seen it myself). I suppose he could change his mind in the future, but I'd be disappointed if they ever went that route.
Old May 19 2013, 02:52 PM   #191
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I think Ryan was a good character up until the point he got fired from his boss role.

Then he turned into this kind of pathetic helpless trend monkey.

Might have been nice to also see Karen, Holly & Gabe make appearances, but we got all the characters who were leads for more than one season.

Parks and Rec has people speaking their personal thoughts to the camera, but the camera has no interaction with the plot. Whereas in The Office as early as season 2, the camera helped draw Pam's attention to Angela's candy bar to confirm her suspicions about being with Dwight. And Jan kept asking Michael in her phone talks with him: "Are we on camera?" In Parks & Rec they've never referred to the fact that there is a camera man present, all they do is give monologues as if there is.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 01:18 AM   #192
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
The only part I didn't like was Ryan's baby thing. That was unnecessary and kinda dumb, IMHO.
I don't know what to think about that. I like that they didn't attempt to redeem everyone or give them all ideal endings, and given Ryan's (and Kelly's) narcissism and immaturity it's not unbelievable that he might do something like that, but it still kind of left a sour note with me.
Me too.

They could have had basically the same ending if both Ryan and Kelly had brought dates to the wedding and left them there to run off with each other. That would have been consistent with their characters.

It's one thing to dump a girlfriend/boyfriend. It's another to purposely sicken and then abandon your own baby.
But it's pretty consistant with their characters.
Old May 20 2013, 01:38 AM   #193
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^^ I think the kid was forced in to try to give Nellie an ideal ending.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 08:42 PM   #194
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
^^ I think the kid was forced in to try to give Nellie an ideal ending.
I think you're right.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 12:43 AM   #195
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

My two favorite moments in the finale:

Meredith's son makes her first appearance since season two as a male stripper, Meredith is excited about seeing him work.

Dwight reassures Kevin that he only fired him because he was really bad at his job, and this makes Kevin feel much better.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote