Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.33%
A 161 21.61%
A- 100 13.42%
B+ 82 11.01%
B 58 7.79%
B- 27 3.62%
C+ 40 5.37%
C 38 5.10%
C- 25 3.36%
D+ 11 1.48%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 36 4.83%
Voters: 745. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 18 2013, 09:37 AM   #2836
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

teacake wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
What I like about the movie is that everyone gets a chance up front, in the spotlight. There are no minor players amongst the lead cast. Everyone gets a chance to shine.

You mean like that time Chekov had a silent freakout during his one big shining moment?
Both the shock of wearing a red shirt, and the final battle Engineering scenes were hilarious.

Yorkshire Niner wrote: View Post
I'd agree with that. Sulu was perhaps a little too comfortable in the chair though.
Who knows? Maybe one day he'll have his own command.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 09:45 AM   #2837
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

Question to any non-US members: when you saw the film, was the scene with the father waking up to his alarm the first scene, or was it Kirk and McCoy on Nibiru? I swear the Nibiru scene came first before the title card, and then the scene with the father waking up...but a friend of mine claims it was the opposite. I'm wondering if the scenes were for some reason reversed in other countries?
Old May 18 2013, 09:46 AM   #2838
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Pfft.. of course it was Nbiru. Your friend is remembering a trailer methinks. And I'm in Australia.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 09:50 AM   #2839
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

He's from the UK, I wonder if it was specific to that country? He said the Enterprise's bridge...sound...sort of morphed into the alarm going off during the Paramount/Skydance/Bad Robot cards.
Old May 18 2013, 09:50 AM   #2840
brian577
Captain

Time to offer up my opinion. For the first 2/3rds of the movie I was having a great time, thought it was leagues better than 09. The opening scene with the volcano was exciting and Kirk violating the PD to save a species from extinction, classic Trek. I didn't even mind that the Khan was in the movie and figured at some point he would become an ally if not at the very least an anti-hero...then Scotty shoots him the back and he's evil again, so much for that and so much for new ideas.

Still I could let that slide, what I couldn't was the brazen way JJ turned the last 3rd of the movie into WOK 2.0. Lines, scenes all remade. Spock's KHAAAN just made the whole scene an even bigger mockery Every last bit of goodwill that had been built up for the last 2 hours was gone and I just wanted it to end.

Maybe I shouldn't be comparing ItD to the prime universe movies. They are separate entities after all. But I'm being forced to make this comparison because JJ and his crew chose to make this comparison. A movie should never make you recall a better film. Until that last half hour I was ready to call this a great film and consider it worthy of the Star Trek name now I can't do that because it only makes me think of WOK and how much better it is.

At this moment I can't really say how I would rate the movie other than it was a great movie brought down by a misguided homage (or ripoff) depending on your interpretation.
brian577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 09:51 AM   #2841
teacake
Admiral

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
He's from the UK, I wonder if it was specific to that country? He said the Enterprise's bridge...sound...sort of morphed into the alarm going off during the Paramount/Skydance/Bad Robot cards.

Someone will check in soon enough and tell you I'm sure

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 09:53 AM   #2842
teacake
Admiral

brian577 wrote: View Post
Time to offer up my opinion. For the first 2/3rds of the movie I was having a great time, thought it was leagues better than 09. The opening scene with the volcano was exciting and Kirk violating the PD to save a species from extinction, classic Trek. I didn't even mind that the Khan was in the movie and figured at some point he would become an ally if not at the very least an anti-hero...then Scotty shoots him the back and he's evil again, so much for that and so much for new ideas.

Still I could let that slide, what I couldn't was the brazen way JJ turned the last 3rd of the movie into WOK 2.0. Lines, scenes all remade. Spock's KHAAAN just made the whole scene an even bigger mockery Every last bit of goodwill that had been built up for the last 2 hours was gone and I just wanted it to end.

Maybe I shouldn't be comparing ItD to the prime universe movies. They are separate entities after all. But I'm being forced to make this comparison because JJ and his crew chose to make this comparison. A movie should never make you recall a better film. Until that last half hour I was ready to call this a great film and consider it worthy of the Star Trek name now I can't do that because it only makes me think of WOK and how much better it is.

At this moment I can't really how I would rate the movie other than it was a great movie brought down by misguided homage (or ripoff) depending on your interpretation.
I was very very very upset initially about the Khaaaan scene and my word to describe my first viewing was "underwhelmed". Go a second time Chem, I am on my third viewing now and I have not only forgiven the bits that bothered me, I'm embracing them.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 09:55 AM   #2843
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Flux Capacitor wrote: View Post
Question to any non-US members: when you saw the film, was the scene with the father waking up to his alarm the first scene, or was it Kirk and McCoy on Nibiru? I swear the Nibiru scene came first before the title card, and then the scene with the father waking up...but a friend of mine claims it was the opposite. I'm wondering if the scenes were for some reason reversed in other countries?
The nine-minute 3D trailer preceding "The Hobbit" was promoted as "the opening scenes of the movie" and began with London, followed by Nibiru.

gornsky wrote: View Post
We had a last minute spare ticket at our IMAX screening and she took it up. But it completely floored me that out of the blue, she is wanting to go and see it AGAIN!
We've converted another one, gornsky, or do you think maybe it was Mr Cumberbatch who did it?

Last edited by Therin of Andor; May 18 2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: more
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 10:29 AM   #2844
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Executing Khan: Not OK.

Freezing Khan, with no intention of thawing him again unless due to extraordinary circumstance we need him: OK.

Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 10:31 AM   #2845
teacake
Admiral

Captrek wrote: View Post

Freezing Khan, with no intention of thawing him again unless due to extraordinary circumstance we need him: OK.

Yeah I had a bit of a laugh there.. why not put him in prison for his past crimes?

At least he'd eventually die and be off everyone's hands!

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 10:49 AM   #2846
Dream
Admiral

Captrek wrote: View Post

I thought the death penalty was outlawed in the Federation with the exception of General Order 7?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 10:52 AM   #2847
teacake
Admiral

Yeah but he should be in prison, not frozen.

He's been sentenced to a cruel and unusual punishment with no end in sight and with no trial.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 11:08 AM   #2848
throwback
Captain

For a man consigned to that fate, he seemed to be content, if his smile was an indication of his feelings.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 11:10 AM   #2849
Dream
Admiral

throwback wrote: View Post
For a man consigned to that fate, he seemed to be content, if his smile was an indication of his feelings.
Well, Khan probably found out that Spock hadn't killed his people after the torpedoes were transported to the Vengeance. Also he probably thinks it is better to be frozen with his own people then have freedom as the last of his kind.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 11:14 AM   #2850
teacake
Admiral

throwback wrote: View Post
People look like that when their dead!

Seriously. WHERE is the trial?! And you know if you are gonna take a while to get the trial together (since all the witnesses are dead) you put a man in prison while you wait. So he can confer with is lawyers.

What sort of horror filled Federation is this.. OH A BAD MAN, FREEZE HIM!!

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne