New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 141 19.11%
A 160 21.68%
A- 99 13.41%
B+ 82 11.11%
B 58 7.86%
B- 27 3.66%
C+ 40 5.42%
C 38 5.15%
C- 24 3.25%
D+ 11 1.49%
D 13 1.76%
D- 10 1.36%
F 35 4.74%
Voters: 738. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 18 2013, 08:41 AM   #2821
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
Speaking of butts, you know what was incredibly hot in this movie? The wetsuits. OMG.

There were like, bulges.

And oddly they just looked a lot less gratuitous (because they had a purpose in themselves?) than the catsuits on T'Pol and 7 people complain about. I think they came across thicker too. Absolutely fantastic costumes and they all looked great in them.
At last for once something for the ladies
I'm thinking they need to visit the Xindi Aquatics in the next movie. For a least half the movie.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 08:43 AM   #2822
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

CommishSleer wrote: View Post
Speaking of butts, you know what was incredibly hot in this movie? The wetsuits. OMG.

There were like, bulges.

And oddly they just looked a lot less gratuitous (because they had a purpose in themselves?) than the catsuits on T'Pol and 7 people complain about. I think they came across thicker too. Absolutely fantastic costumes and they all looked great in them.
At last for once something for the ladies
I'm thinking they need to visit the Xindi Aquatics in the next movie. For a least half the movie.
I second the motion. I took one look at Karl Urban in that thing and fell in love.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 09:09 AM   #2823
Pauln6
Commodore

gornsky wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Found an article by Jason Bailey. http://flavorwire.com/391410/guess-w...never-happenedEarlier this year, the MPAA released their annual statistical rundown of who goes to the movies — and guess what, women go. More than men."

So PLEASE guys, you probably have one more shot to do this right plus the ongoing comic series and maybe an animated series and maybe a live Trek series... Please stop sidelining female characters.
Huh? I don't get it. Did some part of the research say that these women prefer to see women on screen? There was plenty of male eye-candy in this movie, and I enjoyed the characterisations. I just want good characters. I don't care what sex they are.

I don't need all the male characters "balanced out" by corresponding female characters. In fact, I specifically don't want to see characters whom I like and whose chemistry with other characters I appreciate, pushed out of the picture to elevate or shoehorn in some female character. I just want to see characters have a natural, organic place in the whole. I'm not counting.

Also, I don't need to see female 'role models' to feel 'empowered' or 'relevant'. I can relate to male role models just as well, and I am empowered all on my own, thanks very much.
LOL - yeah I've often said that if women weren't so disloyal to their sex they could rule the world.

For me this is about equality, not for the characters but for the actors. In almost all professions you could sue for damages if you were refused a job on the grounds of your sex. Acting gets a pass because, with a few exceptions, it would be silly for a woman to sue because she didn't get the part of a male character. The sexism comes in because they don't write parts for women in the first place.

You may feel empowered but I'm sure actresses with no work do not.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 09:14 AM   #2824
teacake
Admiral

I want to see women on the screen yes, and I prefer to see more rather than less. I'd love to see a Trek movie where the women were dominant and there were only a couple men and we were all discussing whether there needed to be more strong males in the film.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 09:21 AM   #2825
Pauln6
Commodore

Absolutely, as I said elsewhere I want a woman like Louise Fletcher or Polly Walker as an enemy. We could get that next film too, there could be two enemies. I'm thinking Kirk will have an enemy that he needs to unthaw Khan to help fight.
Polly Walker is AMAZING!

I'm surprised that people think Uhura eclipsed McCoy in the movie. I thought he had a greater screen presence than her. It seemed to me to be equivalent to the Kirk/Spock/McCoy/Rand dynamic from season one.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 09:21 AM   #2826
gornsky
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Pauln6 wrote:
For me this is about equality, not for the characters but for the actors. In almost all professions you could sue for damages if you were refused a job on the grounds of your sex. Acting gets a pass because, with a few exceptions, it would be silly for a woman to sue because she didn't get the part of a male character. The sexism comes in because they don't write parts for women in the first place.
Sure, good point.

Action movies certainly do skew male. It's a shame that the excellent precedent set by Alien somehow didn't carry the momentum forward.

Action movies do seem to be getting more and more female characters, but they tend towards the gorgeous, buxom kick-butt Boris Vallejo variety of mens' fantasies. Not as much variation as you get with male heroes.

For all that I am happy with the male cast we already have, and I wasn't too fussed either way about Carol Marcus (would prefer her screen time going to Bones, Sulu or Chekov) I did think Alice Eve was an awesome chick, heaps of fun on the interview circuit and should make a fun addition to the cast (as long as it doesn't degenerate into both Kirk and Spock with girlfriend troubles )

As someone said upthread, Admiral Marcus could easily have been a female character.
gornsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 09:23 AM   #2827
teacake
Admiral

Absolutely, as I said elsewhere I want a woman like Louise Fletcher or Polly Walker as an enemy. We could get that next film too, there could be two enemies. I'm thinking Kirk will have an enemy that he needs to unthaw Khan to help fight.
Polly Walker is AMAZING!
I love you.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 09:25 AM   #2828
teacake
Admiral

I'm surprised that people think Uhura eclipsed McCoy in the movie. I thought he had a greater screen presence than her. It seemed to me to be equivalent to the Kirk/Spock/McCoy/Rand dynamic from season one.
He had greater screen presence, I agree. He just doesn't have greater lines. Most of it was crabbiness. Kind of a cardboard McCoy, not that he wasn't great. Sounded like McCoy, LOOKS like McCoy.. Saldana really is just meh to me, she's nice and all but "presence" is not a word I'd use to describe her. I did like her psyching herself up to talk to the Klingons though, that was well done.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 09:28 AM   #2829
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

What I like about the movie is that everyone gets a chance up front, in the spotlight. There are no minor players amongst the lead cast. Everyone gets a chance to shine.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 09:30 AM   #2830
gornsky
Lieutenant Junior Grade

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
What would qualify for you as discussion about "the meat that makes a movie?" Certainly I feel as if I've been talking about nothing else for 4 weeks.
Just character and story, mostly. There has been some discussion on here, don't get me wrong. I was using a broad brush. I just didn't like what seemed like pages and pages of other stuff. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.
My impression is that the early white noise around this movie (not here, but all over the net) is a whole lot of fanboys with their knickers in a knot because it's not the same enough, and also, it's not different enough. Peoples' initial impressions -- be they shock or awe. Some egomaniacal creeps trying to SPOIL everyone and a lot of commentary about perceived plot holes.

Once the crazy peoples' attention span is exhausted, the die-hards will probably settle down to dissect the film with greater depth and intelligence. Fortunately, I think there are enough character notes to keep us going for... 4 years or so.
Old May 18 2013, 09:31 AM   #2831
teacake
Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
What I like about the movie is that everyone gets a chance up front, in the spotlight. There are no minor players amongst the lead cast. Everyone gets a chance to shine.

You mean like that time Chekov had a silent freakout during his one big shining moment?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 09:32 AM   #2832
Yorkshire Niner
Captain

I'd agree with that. Sulu was perhaps a little too comfortable in the chair though.
Old May 18 2013, 09:32 AM   #2833
teacake
Admiral

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
What would qualify for you as discussion about "the meat that makes a movie?" Certainly I feel as if I've been talking about nothing else for 4 weeks.
Just character and story, mostly. There has been some discussion on here, don't get me wrong. I was using a broad brush. I just didn't like what seemed like pages and pages of other stuff. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.
My impression is that the early white noise around this movie is a whole lot of fanboys with their knickers in a knot because it's not the same enough, and also, it's not different enough. Peoples' initial impressions -- be they shock or awe. Some egomaniacal creeps trying to SPOIL everyone and a lot of commentary about perceived plot holes.

Once the crazy peoples' attention span is exhausted, the die-hards will probably settle down to dissect the film with greater depth and intelligence. Fortunately, I think there are enough character notes to keep us going for... 4 years or so.
This thread is full of depth and intelligence. And butt.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 09:33 AM   #2834
teacake
Admiral

Yorkshire Niner wrote: View Post
I'd agree with that. Sulu was perhaps a little too comfortable in the chair though.
Sulu is a stand out surprise to me. EXCELLENT.

Hopefully next movie he puts in a call earthside to his grandpa, as played by George Takei.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 09:33 AM   #2835
gornsky
Lieutenant Junior Grade

He had greater screen presence, I agree. He just doesn't have greater lines. Most of it was crabbiness. Kind of a cardboard McCoy, not that he wasn't great. Sounded like McCoy, LOOKS like McCoy..
^^^ Exactly!