RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,914
Posts: 5,331,203
Members: 24,560
Currently online: 539
Newest member: jakesmit44543

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 18 2013, 08:31 AM   #31
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

And to the folks poo-pooing the new warp core because "it doesn't look anything like the warp cores we've been used to since the movie era first began" and whatnot:

The original TOS engine room and warp core didn't look anything like the warp cores we became used to starting in December of 1979. Trek is entitled to change how starship engine systems look every now and then to keep pace with the changing times, tastes and developing scientific and mechanical knowledge. The TOS warp reactor system from 1966-69 was a product of that era just as the vertical and horizontal, pulsating warp core with glowing plasma was a product of increased budgets and more daring set designs in the wake of high-tech blockbusters such as Star Wars.

The warp core and engine room of Archer's 22nd century NX-01 took elements from both TOS and the shows and films of later generations and created a cramped, clunky engine room with a relatively low ceiling, lots of ladders and metal railings and a swinging door that opened and closed with a manual handle.
__________________
Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 08:39 AM   #32
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
And to the folks poo-pooing the new warp core because "it doesn't look anything like the warp cores we've been used to since the movie era first began" and whatnot:

The original TOS engine room and warp core didn't look anything like the warp cores we became used to starting in December of 1979. Trek is entitled to change how starship engine systems look every now and then to keep pace with the changing times, tastes and developing scientific and mechanical knowledge. The TOS warp reactor system from 1966-69 was a product of that era just as the vertical and horizontal, pulsating warp core with glowing plasma was a product of increased budgets and more daring set designs in the wake of high-tech blockbusters such as Star Wars.

The warp core and engine room of Archer's 22nd century NX-01 took elements from both TOS and the shows and films of later generations and created a cramped, clunky engine room with a relatively low ceiling, lots of ladders and metal railings and a swinging door that opened and closed with a manual handle.
Point of order. There was no warp core in TOS at all. In the real world production timeline, it hadn't even been conceived of yet. TAS had an engineering core, but still no so-called warp core.
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 08:40 AM   #33
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

Nerd.

__________________
Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 08:50 AM   #34
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
And to the folks poo-pooing the new warp core because "it doesn't look anything like the warp cores we've been used to since the movie era first began" and whatnot:

The original TOS engine room and warp core didn't look anything like the warp cores we became used to starting in December of 1979. Trek is entitled to change how starship engine systems look every now and then to keep pace with the changing times, tastes and developing scientific and mechanical knowledge. The TOS warp reactor system from 1966-69 was a product of that era just as the vertical and horizontal, pulsating warp core with glowing plasma was a product of increased budgets and more daring set designs in the wake of high-tech blockbusters such as Star Wars.

The warp core and engine room of Archer's 22nd century NX-01 took elements from both TOS and the shows and films of later generations and created a cramped, clunky engine room with a relatively low ceiling, lots of ladders and metal railings and a swinging door that opened and closed with a manual handle.
Point of order. There was no warp core in TOS at all. In the real world production timeline, it hadn't even been conceived of yet. TAS had an engineering core, but still no so-called warp core.
Don't forget about the Lithium Crystals.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 09:04 AM   #35
J. Allen
Best Pony™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

Was that where we secretly replaced them with Folger's Crystals?
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom, where all of your wildest dreams will come true.
:: :: ::
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 09:06 AM   #36
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

Say what you want, Ben Childress and his miners had a swank ass camp and living quarters. I mean, you hung rusted metal frying pans on a line outside so the wind and sand could blast them clean.

Between that and the Hoss Cartwright leather vest he must have gotten so much tail.
__________________
Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 09:09 AM   #37
J. Allen
Best Pony™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Say what you want, Ben Childress and his miners had a swank ass camp and living quarters. I mean, you hung rusted metal frying pans on a line outside so the wind and sand could blast them clean.

Between that and the Hoss Cartwright leather vest he must have gotten so much tail.
Yeah, but he was still a bit of an asshole.
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom, where all of your wildest dreams will come true.
:: :: ::
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 09:17 AM   #38
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

You think your miners are better than ours?



Mandelbaum!
Mandelbaum!
MANDELBAUM!
__________________
Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 09:23 AM   #39
J. Allen
Best Pony™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
You think your miners are better than ours?



Mandelbaum!
Mandelbaum!
MANDELBAUM!
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom, where all of your wildest dreams will come true.
:: :: ::
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 09:47 AM   #40
throwback
Captain
 
Re: What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

For me, the main issue is that the reactor core lacked features that I would associate with a work area. You know, like stairways and catwalks that provide access at varying levels to the reactor. Instead, if an engineer has to repair the core, they have to climb over machinery and pipes.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 11:17 AM   #41
malchya
Lieutenant Commander
 
malchya's Avatar
 
Location: Seattle, WA
Re: What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

I've only ever had a problem with one engine room from Trek: the '09 brewery. I've worked in a brewery, so it just made me laugh and I couldn't see it as anything else. The new warp core is excellent! I loved the exterior; my new favorite engine "set" for a starship. I wasn't even overly bothered by the few brief glimpses of the brewery this time out. Though both my daughter and I laughed a bit at the "overflowing" vat as they ran past. That's what happens when you shake beer too much! But it didn't jar me like it did in '09.
malchya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 05:34 PM   #42
Chensams
Vice Admiral
 
Chensams's Avatar
 
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Re: What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

I'll give it one thing: it looks complicated as hell. No more of LaForge taping a touch screen a couple of times and you're good to go.
__________________
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. - Albert Einstein
Chensams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:06 PM   #43
mos6507
Captain
 
mos6507's Avatar
 
Re: What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

Opus wrote: View Post
Never liked the TNG era warp cores. The blinking neon lights made it look more like a Dairy Queen than an Engine Room.
The one in the refit enterprise was better because it looked like something was actually swirling inside. I don't know why they couldn't just duplicate that for TNG.
__________________
Fem Trekz on Facebook
mos6507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:57 PM   #44
ATimson
Rear Admiral
 
ATimson's Avatar
 
Location: Andrew Timson
Re: What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

mos6507 wrote: View Post
The one in the refit enterprise was better because it looked like something was actually swirling inside. I don't know why they couldn't just duplicate that for TNG.
They probably could have - heck, they probably could've kept the existing core. I suspect that they didn't want it to look exactly the same, even if they were using the same framework for the set. Much like how the corridors at least got new carpeting and paint.

The new one did have at least one advantage: they could make it go into "more power" mode and move the blinkies faster. Added drama.
__________________
Andrew Timson
===============
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others." - Brendan Moody

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 07:42 PM   #45
J. Allen
Best Pony™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: What's Up with the Warp Core (SPOILERS Into Darkness)

mos6507 wrote: View Post
Opus wrote: View Post
Never liked the TNG era warp cores. The blinking neon lights made it look more like a Dairy Queen than an Engine Room.
The one in the refit enterprise was better because it looked like something was actually swirling inside. I don't know why they couldn't just duplicate that for TNG.
"What's with all this churning and bubbling? You call this Radar?"

"No sir, we call it... 'Mr. Coffee.' Care for some?"
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom, where all of your wildest dreams will come true.
:: :: ::
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.