RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,703
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 782
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 139 19.39%
A 157 21.90%
A- 98 13.67%
B+ 77 10.74%
B 58 8.09%
B- 27 3.77%
C+ 38 5.30%
C 37 5.16%
C- 23 3.21%
D+ 11 1.53%
D 13 1.81%
D- 6 0.84%
F 33 4.60%
Voters: 717. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 18 2013, 07:12 AM   #2806
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

I don't typically see movies more than once in a theater, although I'd definitely go see STiD again, as it's more than worth a repeat viewing.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 07:12 AM   #2807
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

gornsky wrote: View Post
What would qualify for you as discussion about "the meat that makes a movie?" Certainly I feel as if I've been talking about nothing else for 4 weeks.
Just character and story, mostly. There has been some discussion on here, don't get me wrong. I was using a broad brush. I just didn't like what seemed like pages and pages of other stuff. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.
Old May 18 2013, 07:14 AM   #2808
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
What would qualify for you as discussion about "the meat that makes a movie?" Certainly I feel as if I've been talking about nothing else for 4 weeks.
Just character and story, mostly. There has been some discussion on here, don't get me wrong. I was using a broad brush. I just didn't like what seemed like pages and pages of other stuff. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.
Well you could reply to my recent post about butts since you did post about butts once yourself.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 07:15 AM   #2809
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
My record is AOTC which I saw 9 times. I would have seen ST:XI a lot more than the 5 times I went but circumstances kept making it impossible, something I regret.

(I freaking hated The Dark Knight and if I could get a refund of the hours I spent watching it I would.)
My record is 5 times--Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones. My record for Star Trek is 4 times (First Contact).
Old May 18 2013, 07:16 AM   #2810
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Well you could reply to my recent post about butts since you did post about butts once yourself.

I was posting about the role of women in the movie. You caught me.
Old May 18 2013, 07:18 AM   #2811
teacake
Admiral

And I am posting about sex, as usual.

But yeah THE WOMEN!! We need them developed more. This movie took a step forward and arguably the Big Three are now Kirk, Spock and Uhura with McCoy sidelined. But there's a long way to go to get past the sausage fest.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 07:22 AM   #2812
teacake
Admiral

This still applies to NuTrek IMO.. but at least JJ seems aware of the matter:

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 07:33 AM   #2813
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

And I am posting about sex, as usual.

But yeah THE WOMEN!! We need them developed more. This movie took a step forward and arguably the Big Three are now Kirk, Spock and Uhura with McCoy sidelined. But there's a long way to go to get past the sausage fest.
I liked Uhura. There really isn't a member of the original 7 I don't like in this movie. What about the idea of having a woman as an enemy? First since Lursa and B'etor.
Old May 18 2013, 07:38 AM   #2814
teacake
Admiral

Absolutely, as I said elsewhere I want a woman like Louise Fletcher or Polly Walker as an enemy. We could get that next film too, there could be two enemies. I'm thinking Kirk will have an enemy that he needs to unthaw Khan to help fight.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 07:44 AM   #2815
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Speaking of butts, you know what was incredibly hot in this movie? The wetsuits. OMG.

There were like, bulges.

And oddly they just looked a lot less gratuitous (because they had a purpose in themselves?) than the catsuits on T'Pol and 7 people complain about. I think they came across thicker too. Absolutely fantastic costumes and they all looked great in them.
At last for once something for the ladies
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 07:49 AM   #2816
Dream
Admiral

What about the idea of having a woman as an enemy? First since Lursa and B'etor.
You forgot the Borg Queen.
Old May 18 2013, 08:07 AM   #2817
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Putting Uhura on the volcano mission and beaming her down to help Spock instead of a few security guards was silly. Putting her on those missions alongside qualified personnel would have been fine.
I think it would have taken too long to explain.
But I think Spock should have taken a security team down too and it would have been good to see Khan and Spock just leave the 'normal' Earth dudes in the dust as they ran across San Fran.
Can anyone remember whether the two security guys who went on the 'away mission' to Kronos lived. They weren't there when Kirk tried to punch out Khan
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 08:09 AM   #2818
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
Philly B, it might help if you read the thread before posting, because I explained what elements STiD borrows from Insurrection right before you posted.
The timestamps on your post and his are identical. He couldn't possibly have read your explanation first, because it wasn't there yet.
Old May 18 2013, 08:12 AM   #2819
davejames
Vice Admiral

Finally saw it, and as much as I loved and defended the first movie..... this one unfortunately was just too much of a mindless action flick for my taste.

There were definitely some cool sequences in it, and some pretty good laughs (especially early on), but there was very little actual Star Trek in it.

There was no sign of the inspiring, optimistic Star Trek future anymore, no real exploration or philosophy or thoughtful dialogue-- just a lot of running around and fighting and people seeking revenge. Lots and lots of revenge. To the point where it really started to rub me the wrong way after awhile.

And while the overall storyline holds together on a basic level, there were so many liberties taken with the Trek universe and technology and character backstories that it just started to seem utterly random and ridiculous after awhile.

In the end, as much as I really hate to say it, I frankly think Nemesis is a better Trek movie.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 08:37 AM   #2820
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

davejames wrote: View Post
Finally saw it, and as much as I loved and defended the first movie..... this one unfortunately was just too much of a mindless action flick for my taste.

There were definitely some cool sequences in it, and some pretty good laughs (especially early on), but there was very little actual Star Trek in it.

There was no sign of the inspiring, optimistic Star Trek future anymore, no real exploration or philosophy or thoughtful dialogue-- just a lot of running around and fighting and people seeking revenge. Lots and lots of revenge. To the point where it really started to rub me the wrong way after awhile.

And while the overall storyline holds together on a basic level, there were so many liberties taken with the Trek universe and technology and character backstories that it just started to seem utterly random and ridiculous after awhile.

In the end, as much as I really hate to say it, I frankly think Nemesis is a better Trek movie.
I would recommend watching it again. I mean, if that's how you ultimately feel about it, that's fine, but from what you're saying here, I think you missed a great deal of the story. There is an undercurrent of optimism throughout the movie, and there's a strong moral thread running through it as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by liberties with the universe or technology, since Star Trek has always been rather loose with both, and I don't know what you mean by the effect on character backstories, either.

There is an element of revenge, and it sits squarely with Khan. While tangible and palpable for a while, the concept is gone from Kirk's mind before the Enterprise has even reached the Klingon border, as his sanity and rational thought prevails. Kirk's revenge motivation was that he had seen his mentor and father figure murdered. Shinzon's revenge was against a man he never met, who had never caused him harm, instead of toward the people who had engineered his existence.

And please forgive me for saying, but when I see "it has little actual Star Trek," or "it's not Star Trek," I just find that to be so wholly subjective as not to have any meaning whatsoever ascribed to it other than "it's not the movies I'm used to watching," which is, in itself, also wholly subjective.

The fact of the matter is that this is Star Trek, and that the idea, components, characters, and "spirit" of Star Trek is contained within that celluloid, even if you don't feel it is. It's entire premise is based on the knowledge that it is Star Trek.

That said, you picked Nemesis as your "real Star Trek" comparison and not The Wrath of Khan (also about revenge), which doesn't make sense, because Nemesis was about revenge, uberpowerful technologies, death, and sacrifice as well, with no exploring at all. They even went so far as to break the Prime Directive by driving a dune buggy with advanced technology on a planet with a pre-warp civilization, and firing upon those people when discovered (Kirk, on the other hand in STiD, took every action not to break the Prime Directive until it became life and death). Other than being warm and familiar to you, in what way is it Star Trek, and StiD not?

-= All fantasy teaches me is that reality sucks. =-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote