Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.23%
A 161 21.50%
A- 101 13.48%
B+ 83 11.08%
B 59 7.88%
B- 27 3.60%
C+ 40 5.34%
C 38 5.07%
C- 25 3.34%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 37 4.94%
Voters: 749. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 18 2013, 06:18 AM   #2776
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

teacake wrote: View Post
HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
This is a movie, not a universe.
From a fan perspective, that's where you're wrong. I didn't watch this as an isolated movie, I watched it as a chapter in my chosen universe. And I'm now engaging in an exegesis of the film with references the greater universe the film is set in. Now sure some people are annoying about it, anal and seemingly derailed by details but that just demonstrates how Star Trek is bigger than one movie.
This.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:20 AM   #2777
teacock
Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
I was VERY upset to find out that Gorn don't lay eggs.
Well to be fair it's agressive galaxy conquering Gorn from another galaxy, who according to background information acquired from scaning stuff on their ship and other Gorn stuff engage in high amounts genetic modification, that even includes adding genes from conquered species to their DNA, so mammalian birth was probably a result of that.
Oh! Everything is copacetic now, thanks.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:21 AM   #2778
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

Lord Lunacy wrote: View Post
CaptainStoner wrote: View Post
Say, did the Enterprise fire weapons even once in this film? I dont think she did.
Now that you mention it, I don't think it did. It was too busy getting pounded by the black pearl...that was a serious beating too.
Seems to me that, while keeping this film consistent with the last, Abrams responded to practically every Trekkie criticism. No lens flare to speak of here. Lights in your face much reduced. Kirk taken down a notch.

* although I know full well that TOS is a brawl-a-thon, these films are almost nonstop action. I think one consequence is the universe doesnt feel vast in JJtrek yet. It never slows down enough to convey anything like that. But now he has a 5 year mission to explore.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:21 AM   #2779
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

A-

I just got back from it and I have to say I really enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect to say the least. It has its slow moments, it's nonsensical moments, and I can't say I care about some of the left-wing politics. But my concerns were put to rest and I was very satisfied.

I'm not in the mood to do a thorough review but I will agree that the Enterprise came to life in this movie in a way that it hasn't before. It had some really good, entertaining performances from Quinto, Cumberbatch, Pine, Pegg, Greenwood, etc. Definitely looking forward to seeing it again. Loved the fact that Section 31 was part of all this (something from DS9 that left an impression) and the various continuity shoutouts.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:23 AM   #2780
teacock
Admiral

CaptainStoner wrote: View Post
No lens flare to speak of here.
What! It was FULL of lens flare, especially on the bridge. Which I've never minded.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 06:24 AM   #2781
teacock
Admiral

Classic Fan wrote: View Post
So, it's been over a week since I've seen it, going again tomorrow.

But, it escapes me, has anyone mentioned Kirks long distance 'live chat' pone call?
People have said satellite thingies dropped in space and phone call bouncing along the relays etc also militarization of starfleet makes for better telecommunications.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 06:25 AM   #2782
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I just got back from seeing the film, and J.J. Abrams and Co. have created a freaking MASTERPIECE of Trek storytelling that not only pays homage to the franchise as a whole, but surpasses the classic tales from which it draws most of its inspiration.

Cumberbatch's role as Kahn was somewhat of an 'open secret' for most of the film's production/post-production, but one thing I wasn't expecting at all was to see the film combine the classic Kahn stories 'Space Seed' and 'The Wrath of Kahn' with elements of the story from Star Trek Insurrection (which made me extremely happy given that Insurrection remains my absolute favorite TNG film and one of my favorite Trek stories in general, despite its relative non-popularity with the majority of the fandom).

Cumberbatch playing Kahn was, as I noted, kind of an 'open secret', but I'm rather surprised that nobody ended up spoiling Peter Weller's Admiral Marcus' role as an additional antagonist. Tying him in with Section 31 and Kahn was a brilliant decision, and really helped offset the fact that, as I mentioned, most Trek fans were already aware of who John Harrison really was.

I don't know about anyone else, but I loved the film's take on the Klingons; it was great to see their ridged helmets, but I also liked that we got to see what they look like under said helmets, and really liked the new design that the production team came up with for them.

I voted the film an A+ in the poll, and would've rated it higher had the option to do so been available. It's a phenomenal piece of storytelling and Trek lore and one of the best films I think I've seen in the last year or so.
Old May 18 2013, 06:34 AM   #2783
Shanndee
Commodore

Just got home from my first viewing. I had a lot of fun! I have a few quibbles...but they are minor and I got over them quickly. I'm a little tired, and it appears that I have over 2000 posts to catch up on. Oy!

I'll join the conversation properly later!

A-

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:34 AM   #2784
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
This is a movie, not a universe.
From a fan perspective, that's where you're wrong. I didn't watch this as an isolated movie, I watched it as a chapter in my chosen universe. And I'm now engaging in an exegesis of the film which references the greater universe the film is set in. Now sure some people are annoying about it, anal and seemingly derailed by details but that just demonstrates how Star Trek is bigger than one movie.
I agree with you to some extent, mostly about story. This has 80 episodes and 2 movies in this universe. Seeing it in a larger context at this point, causes weak stories that rely on that universe's history. It makes references to that history, and weakens the individual story being told and people let it pass because it feels like Star Trek, like something that has been done before. We are so bogged down in "did Star Trek do this before?" that we get lost in whether it's a good idea or not. Killing Kirk to save the ship, for instance, is an idea that can stand on its own. It's a good idea, but we don't see Kirk pushed to extremes before it, that earns the sacrifice. It relies upon Star Trek II to make its emotional climax. And that's a bad thing, in my opinion. It means the movie can't stand on its own. It feels like it's been done before.

I think they need to realize what Gene's vision was of Starfleet. I will argue with you about that all day, because I think they are acting OUT OF CHARACTER. Whether the impulse deck looks sleek and long versus two separate triangles does nothing for the story.

Whether Khan is British or Sikh or Latin is not about the character's performance unless (and he's not) the character is defined by being British or Sikh or Latin.

Judging it against Star Trek (2009) is fine. Judging it against Star Trek: The Motion Picture or Star Trek: Insurrection seems foolish to me.

I know this comes off as self-important and like I think I'm the smartest kid in the class. I'm sure I've ticked off a few people reading this. I just haven't seen much discussion about the meat that makes a movie. By the same token, if you talked about lighting and it didn't apply to the story, I would be annoyed with that as well.
Old May 18 2013, 06:35 AM   #2785
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

In fairness to Uhura's derriere, it was blurred in the foreground as the camera focused on the Klingons she was walking towards, so it's easy to miss.

Word of mouth is going to win people over to this movie. A friend of mine who is the most consummate film buff I know, and not a Trekkie in the least, just posted this on his Facebook:

And thus, the latest Star Trek is, undeniably, the best film I've seen of 2013 so far. It's loud, brash, satisfying, exhilarating, and epic, from start to end, and it has a capable antagonist worthy of loathe and astonishment. On par, if not better, than the original, and highly recommended to anyone with working eyes and ears.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:35 AM   #2786
teacock
Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
secret' for most of the film's production/post-production, but one thing I wasn't expecting at all was to see the film combine the classic Kahn stories 'Space Seed' and 'The Wrath of Kahn' with elements of the story from Star Trek Insurrection
What are the elements from Star Trek Insurrection?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 06:39 AM   #2787
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

secret' for most of the film's production/post-production, but one thing I wasn't expecting at all was to see the film combine the classic Kahn stories 'Space Seed' and 'The Wrath of Kahn' with elements of the story from Star Trek Insurrection
I think that refers to the evil Admiral and Starfleet needing someone to go against their orders to get Starfleet back to where it needs to be.
Old May 18 2013, 06:39 AM   #2788
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Both STI and STiD feature a rogue Starfleet Admiral with connections to Section 31 as an antagonist, although, in STI, the connection isn't actually made apparent the way it is in STiD.
Old May 18 2013, 06:39 AM   #2789
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

might be referring to the prime directive stuff which isn't really insurrection. i can think of plenty of better examples from all the tv shows and it was actually handled well in this film for once.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:42 AM   #2790
Blue_Trek
Captain

Also seat belts for when the action gets intense, in JJ's Trek universe, the Captain and the senior crew will die strapped to there chairs at there posts, not blown or thrown across the bridge to make things look more dramatically dire.
I like it, it's logical