STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree with you to some extent, mostly about story. This has 80 episodes and 2 movies in this universe. Seeing it in a larger context at this point, causes weak stories that rely on that universe's history. It makes references to that history, and weakens the individual story being told and people let it pass because it feels like Star Trek, like something that has been done before. We are so bogged down in "did Star Trek do this before?" that we get lost in whether it's a good idea or not. Killing Kirk to save the ship, for instance, is an idea that can stand on its own. It's a good idea, but we don't see Kirk pushed to extremes before it, that earns the sacrifice. It relies upon Star Trek II to make its emotional climax. And that's a bad thing, in my opinion. It means the movie can't stand on its own. It feels like it's been done before.

I think they need to realize what Gene's vision was of Starfleet. I will argue with you about that all day, because I think they are acting OUT OF CHARACTER. Whether the impulse deck looks sleek and long versus two separate triangles does nothing for the story.

Whether Khan is British or Sikh or Latin is not about the character's performance unless (and he's not) the character is defined by being British or Sikh or Latin.

Judging it against Star Trek (2009) is fine. Judging it against Star Trek: The Motion Picture or Star Trek: Insurrection seems foolish to me.

I know this comes off as self-important and like I think I'm the smartest kid in the class. I'm sure I've ticked off a few people reading this. I just haven't seen much discussion about the meat that makes a movie. By the same token, if you talked about lighting and it didn't apply to the story, I would be annoyed with that as well.

2. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

In fairness to Uhura's derriere, it was blurred in the foreground as the camera focused on the Klingons she was walking towards, so it's easy to miss.

Word of mouth is going to win people over to this movie. A friend of mine who is the most consummate film buff I know, and not a Trekkie in the least, just posted this on his Facebook:

And thus, the latest Star Trek is, undeniably, the best film I've seen of 2013 so far. It's loud, brash, satisfying, exhilarating, and epic, from start to end, and it has a capable antagonist worthy of loathe and astonishment. On par, if not better, than the original, and highly recommended to anyone with working eyes and ears.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

What are the elements from Star Trek Insurrection?

4. HaventGotALife

I think that refers to the evil Admiral and Starfleet needing someone to go against their orders to get Starfleet back to where it needs to be.

5. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Both STI and STiD feature a rogue Starfleet Admiral with connections to Section 31 as an antagonist, although, in STI, the connection isn't actually made apparent the way it is in STiD.

6. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

might be referring to the prime directive stuff which isn't really insurrection. i can think of plenty of better examples from all the tv shows and it was actually handled well in this film for once.

7. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

Also seat belts for when the action gets intense, in JJ's Trek universe, the Captain and the senior crew will die strapped to there chairs at there posts, not blown or thrown across the bridge to make things look more dramatically dire.
    I like it, it's logical :vulcan:

8. Xaios

Uh, Dougherty isn't rogue in STI. He's acting on orders from the Federation Council. Also, if he's connected w/ S31, the movie makes absolutely no mention or indication of it.

9. HaventGotALife

It's practical. If Sulu is down by the viewscreen, how can he pilot the ship?

10. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Philly B, it might help if you read the thread before posting, because I explained what elements STiD borrows from Insurrection right before you posted. Both STI and STiD feature a rogue Starfleet Admiral with connections to Section 31 as an antagonist. They also share the common element/theme of the protagonists having to blatantly defy Starfleet rules and regs in order to defeat said rogue Admiral.

Xaios, I acknowledged that Dougherty's connections to Section 31 weren't mentioned/made clear in the film itself.

As to your second point, he might've had tacit permission to carry out the Ba'Ku relocation mission, but he was in fact acting as a rogue operative by actively keeping information from the Federation Council.

11. teacake

By the end of this coming week I'm sure I will have watched STID more times than Insurrection :lol:

12. HaventGotALife

I've seen Insurrection, since it's one my favorites, about 50 times. I don't think I have that kind of money. But more power to you. :rommie:

13. Xaios

14. gornsky

gornsky Lieutenant Red Shirt

What would qualify for you as discussion about "the meat that makes a movie?" Certainly I feel as if I've been talking about nothing else for 4 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2013
  15. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

THIS.

Except.... this: A.

I just saw it tonight. I'll do a review later, 1) when I've had more time to digest it and, 2) once I've seen it at least one more time.

Just briefly, for me, Quinto's "Khaaaaan!!" brought it down a peg. Other than that, I was glued to my seat.

16. teacake

17. teacake

It's FAST FOOD baby!!! Cuz, 'splosions.

18. gornsky

gornsky Lieutenant Red Shirt

I got an email from a friend at work last night wanting to know if I wanted to go and see the movie again on Sunday. She was looking for some company. She is a theatre buff and spends most of her vacation time in either New York or London seeing shows. Everyone knows I'm a bit of a Trekkie, but I would have thought this movie was completely outside her preferences.

We had a last minute spare ticket at our IMAX screening and she took it up. But it completely floored me that out of the blue, she is wanting to go and see it AGAIN!

19. teacake

Speaking of butts, you know what was incredibly hot in this movie? The wetsuits. OMG.

There were like, bulges.

And oddly they just looked a lot less gratuitous (because they had a purpose in themselves?) than the catsuits on T'Pol and 7 people complain about. I think they came across thicker too. Absolutely fantastic costumes and they all looked great in them.

20. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

i have this habit of seeing a good movie more than once. i saw all three batman movies more than once. the dark knight i think i saw three times.