Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 139 19.36%
A 157 21.87%
A- 98 13.65%
B+ 78 10.86%
B 58 8.08%
B- 27 3.76%
C+ 38 5.29%
C 37 5.15%
C- 23 3.20%
D+ 11 1.53%
D 13 1.81%
D- 6 0.84%
F 33 4.60%
Voters: 718. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 18 2013, 05:48 AM   #2761
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

You know one moment that got to me was Scotty looking at the fish. These are explorers, right? "Look, Captain, weird fish!" It wasn't going to eat the ship. Why was he weirded out by that?
Old May 18 2013, 05:48 AM   #2762
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

He's kind of jumpy.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 05:50 AM   #2763
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Chu'lak wrote: View Post
You know what I am beginning to hate? Star Trek fans. I can see not liking this movie for legitimate reasons, too fast to action packed, too much fun. Not enough staff meetings and mapping stars and studying nebluea. But I am reading things online like “McCoy said he delivered baby Gorn! Starfleet didn’t have first contact with the Gorn until 2267!”
That was a reference to the tie-in video game in which the Gorn were the major enemy (there's a line of dialog in the game where the landing party is forced to stun several attacking gorn, one of which turns out to be a pregnant female. McCoy, in a fit of misplaced compassion, performs an emergency c-section on female, only to have the newborn lizard almost bite his hand off).
Old May 18 2013, 05:51 AM   #2764
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

royalfan5 wrote: View Post
especially if they could have gotten Kurtwood Smith involved in this iteration of Trek as well.
Heh, I can see it now. Kurtwood Smith as future-Red Foreman saying "double dumbass on you" to Kirk.

Just came from my 2nd viewing. Enjoyed it every bit as much! Theater was packed, too.

This time around, I noticed just how incredibly... reptilian... Cumberbatch's expressions seemed. It was actually kind of mesmerizing. If he's ever offered an opportunity to play Satan in something, he would knock it out of the park.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 05:53 AM   #2765
teacake
Admiral

I was VERY upset to find out that Gorn don't lay eggs.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 05:53 AM   #2766
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Xaios wrote: View Post
royalfan5 wrote: View Post
especially if they could have gotten Kurtwood Smith involved in this iteration of Trek as well.
Heh, I can see it now. Kurtwood Smith as future-Red Foreman saying "double dumbass on you" to Kirk.

Just came from my 2nd viewing. Enjoyed it every bit as much! Theater was packed, too.

This time around, I noticed just how incredibly... reptilian... Cumberbatch's expressions seemed. It was actually kind of mesmerizing. If he's ever offered an opportunity to play Satan in something, he would knock it out of the park.
I don't know, because then I'd be in the moral dilemma of having a crush on "Satan."

Rainbow Dash Buys A Ford Pinto, A Short Story by LotusTeaDragon
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 05:54 AM   #2767
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

I liked how the klingons were made to look defintely larger than humans. Fucking LOVED how much fun JJ let himself have with the Enterprise.

A- for me. Overall fantastic. Just a touch too "actiony" for my taste, and I never felt like they were anywhere near klingon space. No ships, no outposts. Also hardly any ships or outposts around Earth.

Say, did the Enterprise fire weapons even once in this film? I dont think she did.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:05 AM   #2768
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Chu'lak wrote: View Post
You know what I am beginning to hate? Star Trek fans. I can see not liking this movie for legitimate reasons, too fast to action packed, too much fun. Not enough staff meetings and mapping stars and studying nebluea. But I am reading things online like “McCoy said he delivered baby Gorn! Starfleet didn’t have first contact with the Gorn until 2267!”

This constant stream of Comic Book Guy nerd rage makes me embarrassed to love be a fan.

And I love that they say JJ has too much action. This movie is based on a series that the lead character got into a fist fight every week, tore his shirt open and once ran up a wall and tackled an Andorian.
I agree with you. All the talk about Khan's ethnicity, the ships in Marcus' office, ship and engine room design, alien redesign of the Klingons, liking or disliking the homages to Star Trek II, none of this applies to the plot, theme, characters, emotional appeal of the movie, the consistency in the structure, etc. This is a movie, not a universe. I don't care that an engine deck has been redesigned. I didn't even notice. So it looks like the Kelvin. What is the difference? Would it be a better movie if it didn't change?

As for the action, it was an adventure show. I haven't forgotten that, but my taste is Next Generation, where they would talk with great authority, on the problems facing people. I would rather have 2 hours of that, then 2 hours of ships exploding. There is more of that in this movie, as it has the theme of "vengeance" than in the last. Even named a ship after it. But would I rather see an exploding deck and a ship destroyed at warp, crash into a city, or would I rather see some of the emotional fallout from what transpired in the last 2 hours, I go with the latter every time. I want to know the characters and to have them more fully flesh out a theme. The action in this movie seems to have no symbolism, and action scenes I can get behind are reluctant defense (which Starfleet is supposed to be doing) and those that serve the other aspects of the movie. It moves the plot, but there is no reason why Harrison jumped through a glass pane instead of using the door. It just looks cool. That's not something I like. It means I am supposed to be enthralled with seeing someone run and the movie seems to stop, for large chunks of time, in telling a story to make something explode. That's what I don't like.
Old May 18 2013, 06:08 AM   #2769
Dr. Zaius
Cadet

Long time reader, first time poster:

Just got back from the theater and WOW. 'A' for me, just a few corny lines and some very minor nit picky stuff holding it back from A+. For me it's as good as any of the other great Star Trek Movies. What really excited me was the feeling that this was the end of the beginning; we've seen the crew's origins and now we've seen them earning their place. The future of both this crew and whatever else might be coming in the near future really has me excited. To close up though: thought both Cumberbatch and Weller hit it out of the park as villains and loved Pine and Quinto's dynamic (Damnit Spock you made me cry you green blooded son of a bitch).
Dr. Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:08 AM   #2770
Lord Lunacy
Commander

CaptainStoner wrote: View Post
Say, did the Enterprise fire weapons even once in this film? I dont think she did.
Now that you mention it, I don't think it did. It was too busy getting pounded by the black pearl...that was a serious beating too.
Old May 18 2013, 06:11 AM   #2771
teacake
Admiral

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
This is a movie, not a universe.
From a fan perspective, that's where you're wrong. I didn't watch this as an isolated movie, I watched it as a chapter in my chosen universe. And I'm now engaging in an exegesis of the film which references the greater universe the film is set in. Now sure some people are annoying about it, anal and seemingly derailed by details but that just demonstrates how Star Trek is bigger than one movie.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 06:12 AM   #2772
Classic Fan
Rear Admiral

View Classic Fan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Classic Fan

So, it's been over a week since I've seen it, going again tomorrow.

But, it escapes me, has anyone mentioned Kirks long distance 'live chat' pone call?
"Course your not,your not scared of anything. Box falls out the sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard. Look at you, just sittin' there,you know what i think? Must be helluva scary crack in your wall" - The Doctor
Classic Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:12 AM   #2773
Classic Fan
Rear Admiral

View Classic Fan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Classic Fan

So, it's been over a week since I've seen it, going again tomorrow.

But, it escapes me, has anyone mentioned Kirks long distance 'live chat' pone call?
"Course your not,your not scared of anything. Box falls out the sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard. Look at you, just sittin' there,you know what i think? Must be helluva scary crack in your wall" - The Doctor
Classic Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:13 AM   #2774
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
I was VERY upset to find out that Gorn don't lay eggs.
Well to be fair it's agressive galaxy conquering Gorn from another galaxy, who according to background information acquired from scaning stuff on their ship and other Gorn stuff engage in high amounts genetic modification, that even includes adding genes from conquered species to their DNA, so mammalian birth was probably a result of that.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:15 AM   #2775
Blue_Trek
Captain

I don't mind Spock yelling Khan in a homage to TWOK, I just think the timing is wrong.
When he beams down to earth and see's Khan that's when could have yelled it.
Sometimes a movie tries too hard to do something, and then it doesn't feel right.

Also I never noticed Ohura's butt, and if I never noticed it, it isn't THAT gratuitous of a scene, not like Megan Fox bending over an engine in Transformers.