Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 18 2013, 03:39 AM   #241
I am not Spock
Commodore

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

It's sad how IM3 effortlessly got to 1 billion, when we'll be happy if STID limps to 500 mil. Or even 400. I would have thought the last movie would have destroyed the Trek stigma.
Old May 18 2013, 03:42 AM   #242
Dream
Admiral

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
It's sad how IM3 effortlessly got to 1 billion, when we'll be happy if STID limps to 500 mil. Or even 400. I would have thought the last movie would have destroyed the Trek stigma.
IM3 only reached 1 billion because it is the first Marvel Cinematic Universe movie following the Avengers.

The first two IM movies only did around a decent 600M each.

Last edited by Dream; May 18 2013 at 03:56 AM.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 03:53 AM   #243
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
You're going to see significant BO takings for mediocre shit because they're attached to the Avengers. Thor and CA will probably out gross ST!
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 03:57 AM   #244
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I'm still of the opinion that 500m is a shitload of money, and is to be applauded when attached to a Trek movie.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 03:59 AM   #245
Phily B
Fleet Captain

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I'm still of the opinion that 500m is a shitload of money, and is to be applauded when attached to a Trek movie.
It is a good number, but it is seeming more likely what we can hope for a best case scenario now. I think it'll get enough for a sequel assuming the foreign BO takings improve dramatically which they appear they will do this time round.
Old May 18 2013, 04:03 AM   #246
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Phily B wrote: View Post
It is a good number, but it is seeming more likely what we can hope for a best case scenario now. I think it'll get enough for a sequel assuming the foreign BO takings improve dramatically which they appear they will do this time round.
Just from the numbers alone I'd say we'll get another movie. Even several hundred million dollars on a $150m investment is pretty good. That doesn't count the inevitable DVD/Blu-ray/Digital sales. So it is VERY likely we'll get another movie, and if it rakes in enough cash, we'll get it sooner than 4 more years.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 04:05 AM   #247
Dream
Admiral

Paramount is definitely hoping for around 500M or more. Any less than that and sequels become much less likely.
Old May 18 2013, 04:07 AM   #248
Phily B
Fleet Captain

It cost 190m and they marketed it pretty heavily for what could be a marginal gain or even slightly less than. We'll have to wait and see about overseas too, if it doesn't improve significantly overseas then it'll be a stretch to say we'll get a sequel. If it gets to 2009's gross and the overseas reaches 250m then it'll get a sequel.

What it does have going for it is that it might get something being released a year after Star Wars, the 50th Anniversary, and the blu ray sales are always very strong for Trek. Not to mention, once again, it's scored well with audiences and critics alike so Paramount could decide to look at their marketing again.
Old May 18 2013, 04:59 AM   #249
Dream
Admiral

Good Friday number news posted by RTH!

Rth, on 17 May 2013 - 8:51 PM, said:
Still on the cards probably now 26-28, it seems to be doing better WC then EC, so might get strong evening trade in WC and Can seem to be doing well, see how it goes, try give update later up/down
the 21-23 BOG had don't know where got that from it was tracking even earlier today much higher
Old May 18 2013, 05:03 AM   #250
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

Oh thank the Prophets.
Old May 18 2013, 05:11 AM   #251
Phily B
Fleet Captain

14/28.5/26/16.5
The BTC numbers seem to be lining up (they got IM3 and TGG spot on supposedly) so it'll fall short of 100m if they turn out to be true. Hoping for a bigger Saturday number though if what RTH says is true about it tracking higher during the morning. It's possible that it will have opened at 40-45m first day if they hadn't fudged the release date which is very good.

Sounds good but I'm being pessimistic and saying the BTC numbers are solid but not great if they stick - though I've found taking the Garak approach to matters has found me enjoying things that do turn out well far more (STID!)
Old May 18 2013, 05:34 AM   #252
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

While I admit to enjoying Iron Man (haven't seen #3 yet), I recently saw the Avengers and I couldn't believe that movie actually became one of the biggest ever. It was thoroughly plain in every way. I can't understand how it made such huge numbers, I really can't.

However, Star Trek still has a stigma attached to it. No matter how you dress it up and make it slick and fast and shiny and cool, the masses will just think it's Star Trek. It's a shame, but you can't do anything about it. I guess "superheroes" in tights talking into invisible bluetooths fighting giant space centipedes is better than people on spaceships in tights fighting a terrorist who blows up London.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 05:37 AM   #253
Phily B
Fleet Captain

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
While I admit to enjoying Iron Man (haven't seen #3 yet), I recently saw the Avengers and I couldn't believe that movie actually became one of the biggest ever. It was thoroughly plain in every way. I can't understand how it made such huge numbers, I really can't.
I don't understand it either, IM1 is about the only one I really liked. TA was just okay, the way people hyped it to me it was just.....ergh.

I do enjoy Nolan's Batman movies a lot however.
Old May 18 2013, 05:41 AM   #254
I am not Spock
Commodore

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post

However, Star Trek still has a stigma attached to it. No matter how you dress it up and make it slick and fast and shiny and cool, the masses will just think it's Star Trek. It's a shame, but you can't do anything about it. I guess "superheroes" in tights talking into invisible bluetooths fighting giant space centipedes is better than people on spaceships in tights fighting a terrorist who blows up London.
I don't understand the popularity of comic book superhero movies myself. At least, I don't get why grown adults like them.

People can take grown men flying around in spandex jumpsuits seriously, but not men on the bridge of a starship?
Old May 18 2013, 05:47 AM   #255
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

I'm with all of ya.