Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 17 2013, 08:35 PM   #211
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Sto-Vo-Kory wrote: View Post
Could the first few issues have occurred after the the events of STiD?
Plot-wise I think it's possible. The stardates are jacked up in them anyways...

I suspect (though I don't remember for sure) that you'd have to overlook Main Engineering changing back to its 2009 incarnation after the events of Into Darkness, though.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 09:13 PM   #212
Christopher
Writer

ATimson wrote: View Post
I suspect (though I don't remember for sure) that you'd have to overlook Main Engineering changing back to its 2009 incarnation after the events of Into Darkness, though.
They did use the same brewery for some of the Engineering scenes in STID. They just added location shooting at Livermore Labs for the actual warp core (as well as for a loading platform in the hangar bay, apparently).

Anyway, the comics are full of art-reference errors -- the wrong version of the Enterprise or the wrong phaser design or what-have-you -- so it's best not to take the visuals too literally. Which is a habit that fans of DC's first TOS series also had to learn, since its artists had a very idiosyncratic way of drawing the ship interiors.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 09:41 PM   #213
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
They did use the same brewery for some of the Engineering scenes in STID. They just added location shooting at Livermore Labs for the actual warp core (as well as for a loading platform in the hangar bay, apparently).
True (the "communications vats" being one that stood out); I don't think we saw the area that had housed the warp cores (plural) in the last movie in STID, however.

Anyway, the comics are full of art-reference errors -- the wrong version of the Enterprise or the wrong phaser design or what-have-you -- so it's best not to take the visuals too literally.
True. I keep trying to forget those, and succeeding.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old May 18 2013, 02:53 AM   #214
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Fer wrote: View Post
Really? Not even in the "Where No Man" and "Galileo Seven" adaptations?
Eight or so died in the Gary Mitchell issues and they brought one corpse back with them in Galileo 7.

Galileo 7 was referenced in Countdown to Darkness so that had to have happened before STID, and Scotty was complaining about the Enterprise's damage from the blackhole not being properly repaired at the start of the Where No Man Has Gone Before adaption.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 05:32 AM   #215
Tommunist
Lieutenant Commander

The Trek Collective's article on upcoming IDW comics shows a suggested event timeline for the comics: 2256: #20 - Red Level Down

2257:
#18 - Uhura origins
#19 - Scotty origins

2258:
2009 movie
#15 and #16 - Mirrored
#1 and #2 - Where No Man Has Gone Before
#3 and #4 - The Galileo Seven
#5 and #6 - Operation: Annihilate
#7 and #8 - Vulcan's Vengeance
#9 and #10 - The Return of the Archons
#17 - McCoy origins
#13 - The Redshirt's Tale
#14 - Keenser origins

2259:
#11 and #12 - The Truth About Tribbles!
Countdown to Darkness
#21, #22, and #23 - After Darkness

So, no matter how you slice it, you can't reconcile some of the details of STiD with the comics. Nothing new.

What excites me is the fact that there will be a John Harrison mini-series later this year, and the Gorn will appear in the comic, which will hopeully bridge the gap to the video game.

Last edited by Tommunist; May 18 2013 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Derp!
Tommunist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 02:28 PM   #216
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Tommunist wrote: View Post
The Trek Collective's article on upcoming IDW comics shows a suggested event timeline for the comics:
The "Tribbles" story has a 2259 stardate, but the one given is during Into Darkness, so it's rather obviously wrong. I think late 2258 (after the McCoy story, before The Redshirt's Tale) is probably better.

(#17 is the last comic with a stardate, taking place on 2258.247, with #10 being shortly beforehand on 2258.241. My assumption is that #11-14 plus Countdown to Darkness, not being flashbacks, all occur in order sometime after #10/#17 and before the video game on 2259.32.)

Tommunist wrote: View Post
What excites me is the fact that there will be a John Harrison mini-series later this year, and the Gorn will appear in the comic, which will hopeully bridge the gap to the video game.
Some details in the video game are hard to reconcile with Into Darkness itself. I wonder if (solicitation aside) they'll end up just ignoring the game entirely.

Old May 18 2013, 03:17 PM   #217
Fer
Commander

Fer wrote: View Post
Really? Not even in the "Where No Man" and "Galileo Seven" adaptations?
Eight or so died in the Gary Mitchell issues and they brought one corpse back with them in Galileo 7.

Also

I stand corrected.
Old May 18 2013, 03:23 PM   #218
Christopher
Writer

Old May 18 2013, 05:45 PM   #219
Sto-Vo-Kory
Commander

The first two issues are hardest for me to reconcile, too. They may have to be removed from my personal continuity, which wouldn't be a horrible thing as they feel "off" style-wise and story-wise from the issues that follow anyway.
Sto-Vo-Kory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 11:39 PM   #220
Nightowl1701
Commander

Well, I've seen the movie, and I noticed something.
Are we sure we heard what we thought we heard? The Alan Dean Foster novelization renders that scene as follows:

Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 12:56 AM   #221
Christopher
Writer

^As I said, they were talking over each other at that point, and that's hard to get across in prose. It's possible there was some improvisation or "additional dialogue" for Chris Pine so that he'd have something to say over Pike's line, and that might not have been reflected in the script Foster got.

Novelizations are almost never an exact reflection of the dialogue in the final film, because there can be subsequent rewrites, ad-libs, editing, looped dialogue, and the like which can change things from the script the novelizer worked from. So the actual film always takes precedence.

Old May 19 2013, 02:34 AM   #222
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

I'm going to try to pay more attention to that line the next time I watch the film. Only having watched it once, I didn't get the impression that Kirk said that no one had died under his command.

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 02:40 AM   #223
Christopher
Writer

^Well, I'm not the only person who did catch that line:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=213421

Old May 19 2013, 04:04 AM   #224
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I heard it, as well. It was a quick assertion, though ("Not one!"), so it would have been very easy to miss.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 04:23 AM   #225
Christopher
Writer

^And since Pike and Kirk were talking over each other, it wasn't easy to follow both speeches at once. I caught the beginning and end of Kirk's line, but missed the middle and had to interpolate.