RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,694
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 805
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 139 19.39%
A 157 21.90%
A- 98 13.67%
B+ 77 10.74%
B 58 8.09%
B- 27 3.77%
C+ 38 5.30%
C 37 5.16%
C- 23 3.21%
D+ 11 1.53%
D 13 1.81%
D- 6 0.84%
F 33 4.60%
Voters: 717. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 18 2013, 03:12 AM   #2731
Count Zero
Guess who's back

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Well, since Enterprise is the only series still existing in this universe I would go with what was established on that show about Section 31 unless it was directly contradicted on screen. Section 31 actually predates the Federation.

ETA: Damn, you're all too fast for me.
Old May 18 2013, 03:12 AM   #2732
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Section 31 is around right now.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 03:13 AM   #2733
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Shh!!! You'll blow our cov…oops. I've said too much already.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 03:15 AM   #2734
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

LOL ^^^^
Old May 18 2013, 03:19 AM   #2735
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

did anyone find it a little ironic that when Kirk's five year mission ends it will be around the same time in the "Prime" reality, Kirk started his?
mattman8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 03:23 AM   #2736
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

mattman8907 wrote: View Post
did anyone find it a little ironic that when Kirk's five year mission ends it will be around the same time in the "Prime" reality, Kirk started his?
Ironic? No. It wouldn't be irony. It is a nice little tidbit of trivia, though.

-= All fantasy teaches me is that reality sucks. =-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 03:30 AM   #2737
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Ironic? No. It wouldn't be irony. It is a nice little tidbit of trivia, though.
yeah it just kinda came to me.
Old May 18 2013, 03:40 AM   #2738
Lord Garth
Commander

I saw Star Trek Into Darkness. I thought the 2009 film was better.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 03:44 AM   #2739
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

i was just online and apparently there is going to a 4-part prequel comic coming out detailing the life of one John Harrison, who we know to be one Khan Noonien Singh. so all those questions you fine folks have been asking will finally be answered. you can read more at:

http://www.thetrekcollective.com/201...ss-august.html
Old May 18 2013, 03:57 AM   #2740
Finn
Vice Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
There's a lot of the voice over in the trailers that doesn't appear in the movie. Either they trimmed a scene or two, or the dialogue was written for the trailer.

Certainly Pike's dialogue in the trailers isn't lifted from his scenes - the gist is the same, but different wording and attitude.
Just saw the movie. I had the impression that a scene or two was deleted from early in the movie.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 04:02 AM   #2741
Tai
Fleet Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
HaventGotALife wrote: View Post

granted the federation is still relatively new (they were what? a hundred years old by the end of Into Darkness?) but still section 31 should have been disbanded. it cause nothing but trouble.
Hopefully, this incident brings them out of the shadows and Starfleet disbands them when people find out they exist.
I expect a very public disbanding may a part of Section 31's plans. Marcus is far too easy with throwing around Section 31's name, even if he did think those he told were never coming back. How does he know they didn't send off an email about it prior to their planned deaths?

But if it disbands there will be speeches full of Roddenberry ideals about not losing what makes us human as we try and preserve humanity blah blah and everyone will pat themselves on the back and Section 31 will continue, more covert than ever.
^This is brilliant.

To layer the conspiracy even further one could picture a Section 31 that saw Marcus getting a little too power hungry and decided to cut Khan loose to expose him and have the problem take care of itself.

If a war with the Klingons ensued as a result of the chaos, then that's what they wanted all along anyway.
Old May 18 2013, 04:02 AM   #2742
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

Finn wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
There's a lot of the voice over in the trailers that doesn't appear in the movie. Either they trimmed a scene or two, or the dialogue was written for the trailer.

Certainly Pike's dialogue in the trailers isn't lifted from his scenes - the gist is the same, but different wording and attitude.
Just saw the movie. I had the impression that a scene or two was deleted from early in the movie.
im going to snatch the novel on tuesday. see what was missing from the movie.
Old May 18 2013, 04:11 AM   #2743
Tai
Fleet Captain

I'm wondering about the motives of Section 31 and how it relates to the third film. On reflection it seems that the Klingons would be the obvious choice of villians in the next film. They have every justification to declare war on the Federation given that Starfleet agents violated their space, landed on their homeworld, murdered dozens of their men and destroyed 3 ships.

Could you imagine if a Klingon raiding party just beamed down to Australia and killed a bunch of people in retaliation and just left?

Kirk's actions in this movie alone seems like provocation enough for the Klingons.
Old May 18 2013, 04:14 AM   #2744
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Tai wrote: View Post
I'm wondering about the motives of Section 31 and how it relates to the third film. On reflection it seems that the Klingons would be the obvious choice of villians in the next film. They have every justification to declare war on the Federation given that Starfleet agents violated their space, landed on their homeworld, murdered dozens of their men and destroyed 3 ships.

Could you imagine if a Klingon raiding party just beamed down to Australia and killed a bunch of people in retaliation and just left?
Starting a war because a bunch of people died as a result of a raiding party that was not sanctioned by their own government seems like overkill. But of course that's what we do.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 04:16 AM   #2745
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Tai wrote: View Post

Kirk's actions in this movie alone seems like provocation enough for the Klingons.
I think it depends on who the people are. A lot more was done in the lead-up to the Dominion War before formal declarations were announced. I think because it's the Klingons and they look for an excuse to go to war, that it is most likely this incident will lead to war. I think that's the set-up for the next film, especially with people connected to this film saying they want "someone to do the Klingons."