Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.28%
A 161 21.55%
A- 101 13.52%
B+ 83 11.11%
B 58 7.76%
B- 27 3.61%
C+ 40 5.35%
C 38 5.09%
C- 25 3.35%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 36 4.82%
Voters: 747. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 18 2013, 01:29 AM   #2701
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post

As she's walking towards the Klingons, her ass is in the shot. It's about 5-10 seconds of just watching her walk with the Klingons in the background.
I was too busy thinking about scared she obviously was, and how she was pulling herself together to also think "oh that is her ass". Because you know when people walk in front of you of course you see their ass. Maybe you just noticed this because you like her ass?
[sarcasm]Yeah, it's my fault.[/sarcasm]
I'm with teacake. While I had no problem noticing the Carol Marcus lingerie, the Uhura Klingon scene had a LOT more going on than just her ass. If that's what you saw ... well, then that's what you were focusing on.

I'm still scared that Star Wars will keep the third film from us.
I have to admit, as much as I am thrilled about Abrams and Star Wars, I, too, am a bit apprehensive. But as far as I know, as yet he's on for just SW VII, so perhaps he'll still have some love for the next Trek film.
Old May 18 2013, 01:37 AM   #2702
GMDreia
Commander

I just saw the film an hour ago, thanks to the ticket Throwback sent me!

Some brief thoughts:

1. I LOVED that Section 31 was part of this! I loved the conspiracy aspect, and that the big bad wasn't just another pissed off mustache-twirling alien.

2. I liked Khan, but I won't be admitting that on Tumblr. He was actually way more terrifying than Montalban but also comes off as a character redesign. CumberKhan was way more a connection to Space Seed than TWOK, as it should be. Honestly, I would have LOVED to see Naveen Andrews or another Indian actor play him - but I can also see why they didn't (because it would be in the realm of unfortunate implications), and given how genuinely blood-curdling and inhuman I found this Khan, I'm fine with Cumberbatch's version. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I bought him as a character in his own right. And I can see why they didn't use Joachim or someone else, it would have lacked the same impact.

3. I was okay with the Klingon redesign. Just okay with it. Enough was there that said "Klingon" to me that the redesign didn't bother me. It seemed midway between TNG and TOS. I bought the Klingons as Klingons and that's really all I ask. The costumes really did look inspired by TOS and I liked that.

4. Most of the people in the theater with me were people old enough to have seen the original series, let alone TWOK. The callouts to TWOK proved problematic because they caused everyone else in my row to snicker, mutter "yeah right", or giggle and THAT was distracting. Somehow, the tail end of the film came off a little... fanfictionish. But I was okay with it.

5. This is the first time I've really bought Chris Pine as Kirk.

6. The movie really runs fast. I couldn't believe I was in the theater as long as I was, it really feels short. I liked the brisk pace, though. Very tight writing.

I only have one question - one thing that confused me - what happened in the engine room that caused the ship to drop out of warp? Who sabotaged the ship and when? That part went by so fast.
Old May 18 2013, 01:40 AM   #2703
The Wormhole
Admiral

This was a whole hell of a lot better than Trek XI was, that's for damn sure. This actually feels like Star Trek, or more Trek like than XI was anyway. The characters are a lot better handled this time around, Kirk and Spock actually reminded me of Shatner and Nimoy a few times, most notably the conversation about being happy.

Scotty was better balanced this time around. While I understand when you cast an actor like Simon Pegg you want to take advantage of his comedic talent, it is nice this time they managed to have give the character a more serious aspect. They managed to perfectly blend the seriousness of the character Doohan played with the humour Pegg brought to it in a way which works and fits the character perfectly. Hell, I kind of wish we could have gotten more of him and Keenser at a nightclub on Earth, that was a cool scene.

I still don't get why Chekov was made chief engineer. Yes, they handwave this away by saying he'd been training under Scotty, but still, he's probably the youngest officer on the Enterprise, and everyone else in engineering has more experience as engineers and officers than he does. It just seemed odd. It's nice they cut back on the V/W reversal this time.

Sulu, Uhura, and McCoy were under-utilized. Oh sure, they each had key scenes and were awesome in what they had, but I don't know. I guess there isn't really enough for everyone.

Cumberbatch does an awesome job as Khan. Despite obvious differences, he perfectly captures Ricardo Montalban's essence and makes his portrayal of the role unique to hiimself. Though I have to complain about casting a white guy in the role. Star Trek is well known for diversity among ethnicities. Hell, it's one of the things its famous for. It's kind of a smack in the face to take a character who is supposed to be Indian, and was originally played by a Latino actor and cast a white guy in the role. I can let it slide since Cumberbatch is perfect in the role, but really. It's especially bad since Abrams Trek doesn't really have very man non-white prominent characters. Or rather, Trek XI didn't (just Uhura, Sulu, Captain Robau and Tyler Perry). STID at least did feature more non-white characters, minor though most of them were.

I've made this complaint before, but really, the USS Vengeance has no subtletly to it at all. It's big, black, scary looking, armed to the teeth. Aside from Admiral Marcus, its crew are big, muscular guys who are scary-looking thugs. It has a masculine voice as opposed to the feminine one that is the Starfleet norm. And to make matters completely ridiculous, when it first shows up, there's a sound effect which sounds like Darth Vader's breathing. It might as well be flying a banner labelling it "Bad Guy's Ship."

Just what was up with the uniforms worn by the Vengeance crew anyway? It's been suggested that Vengeance is supposed to be a stealth ship, so one might say it's to cover up they're Starfleet. But then Marcus still has Admiral's stripes on his uniform, so that defeats the purpose. I suppose it's possible they're supposed to be Section 31 uniforms, and if so they should have just kept the black leather from DS9.

Kirk's death scene was far too derivitive of Spock's death scene from TWOK. It's practically a reenactment, down to every last detail. The only thing missing is an elderly Chinese guy in engineering for Spock to bump into as he runs in. And when it's all done and Spock screaming "KHAN!!!" is just too much.

But yeah, I actually enjoyed this one. This is Star Trek, not that idiotic mess they slapped together in 2009.

Other complaints and nitpicks:
-I can't stand this obsession Abrams has with everyone constantly talking over each other. It was grating in Trek XI and beyond annoying here. I think this time it got to me more than the lens flares.
-Exactly why did it need to be Khan's blood used to resurrect Kirk? Couldn't any of the Augments provide a blood sample, like say, oh I don't know, they guy they took out of a pod so they could put Kirk in stasis?
-On a similar note, Khan is immune to the Vulcan neck pinch. Spock successfully used it against an Augment in Space Seed.
-For that matter, Khan is too invincible. In TWOK having the Reliant's bridge fall apart on him seemed to have him done in enough that he just threw in the towel. Yet he's on board a starship which crashes into a city and he literally walks away from it essentially unscathed.
-The Tribble breathing just looked weird.
Old May 18 2013, 01:40 AM   #2704
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Supposedly Marcus had the core sabotaged, that way the Klingons could find the Enterprise, destroy her, and start a war with the Federation.
Old May 18 2013, 01:41 AM   #2705
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Marcus sabotaged it so that it might be trapped on the edge of Klingon space. Once torpedoes were fired at Kronos the sitting duck Enterprise would be destroyed in retaliation and war would begin.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 01:43 AM   #2706
teacake
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
-On a similar note, Khan is immune to the Vulcan neck pinch. Spock successfully used it against an Augment in Space Seed.
He's not completely immune, he has to fight it and fight it hard. And he's more powerful than his minions, that's why he's the leader.

It wasn't breathing, it was going into labor. Alive again? TIME FOR MORE TRIBBLES!!

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 01:44 AM   #2707
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

you gotta wonder Alexander Marcus was like before the destruction of Vulcan. Was he a straight and narrow starfleet officer like Christopher Pike or was he always this corrupt?
mattman8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 01:45 AM   #2708
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
He's not completely immune, he has to fight it and fight it hard. And he's more powerful than his minions, that's why he's the leader.

It wasn't breathing, it was going into labor. Alive again? TIME FOR MORE TRIBBLES!!
maybe scotty will be like hey let's give them to the klingons.
Old May 18 2013, 01:48 AM   #2709
teacake
Admiral

Yeah, don't torpedo them just beam the tribble into an uninhabited area and leave..

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 01:49 AM   #2710
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, don't torpedo them just beam the tribble into an uninhabited area and leave..
lol. yep.
Old May 18 2013, 01:51 AM   #2711
teacake
Admiral

mattman8907 wrote: View Post
you gotta wonder Alexander Marcus was like before the destruction of Vulcan. Was he a straight and narrow starfleet officer like Christopher Pike or was he always this corrupt?
He's in Section 31.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 01:53 AM   #2712
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

lol. yep.
Tell me, do they still sing songs about the great tribble hunt?
Old May 18 2013, 01:55 AM   #2713
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

lol. yep.
Tell me, do they still sing songs about the great tribble hunt?
Stories told, two old friends, yeah. Of battle scars and lonely bars ... and nights the rain wouldn't end.
Old May 18 2013, 01:56 AM   #2714
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

He's in Section 31.
which is like what? Black Ops?
Old May 18 2013, 01:56 AM   #2715
teacake
Admiral

MY GOD THAT'S WHAT WE NEED IN THE NEXT FILM!!!!

Klingon Opera.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne