TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 17 2013, 03:00 PM   #16
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Re: Warehouse 13 renewed for fifth/final seasonfinal

That sucks. I love Warehouse 13. I don't think it's gone stale at all. 6 episodes??? WTF?!?!

At least they get to wrap up, I guess.

Stupid television.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 03:11 PM   #17
Pingfah
Admiral

Didn't they also order a 6 episode season of Eureka, and then cancel it in favour of a single wrap up episode?
Old May 17 2013, 03:20 PM   #18
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Didn't they also order a 6 episode season of Eureka, and then cancel it in favour of a single wrap up episode?
They announced a final six-episode season. Then announced the show was cancelled and there would be no more episodes, and then responded to the fan outcry and allowed one more episode to be produced to wrap the show up.
Old May 17 2013, 03:20 PM   #19
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Syfy really doesn't like giving shows 5th seasons.

It's the sweet spot. If a show gets to five seasons they likely have 100 episodes which is the amount you need for syndication( MONEY!)
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 03:26 PM   #20
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
It's the sweet spot. If a show gets to five seasons they likely have 100 episodes which is the amount you need for syndication( MONEY!)
Five seasons on cable typically doesn't yield 100 episodes anymore. Most seasons have less than 20 episodes, sometimes only about half that, give or take a few. A six-episode final season would give Warehouse 13 a total of 65 episodes.
Old May 17 2013, 03:56 PM   #21
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

It seems like 5 seasons is the breaking point for SyFy. by the time a show gets to 5 Seasons, it's true their set budget should be less, because by the time of reaching 5 Seasons you've likely got most of the sets you need for day to day episodes. However, it's also the point at which the salaries start to become to expensive for ratings a SyFy show gets, so, it probably comes down to a choice between an all new cast (Or at least replacing the most expensive lead(s)) or cutting the cast down to practically nothing

And really, a SciFi or Fantasy show making it to 5 Seasons is pretty much a rarity on US Television anyways. And really not a large percentage of shows in any Genre make it to 5 Seasons

We had the Trek shows (TNG, DS9, VOY), the Posthumus Roddenberry Shows (Andromeda and EFC - Both of which sank rather low in S5 with Budget cutbacks...Andromeda being stuck in one place; EFC cutting the long running cast). The Stargate shows (SG1 and SGA), Babylon 5 and a few other SyFy shows. (Sanctuary, Eureka maybe others?) and I guess you could also include LOST and Fringe. Can't really think of any more off hand

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 11:47 PM   #22
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

I had a feeling this day was coming up soon. Syfy practically sabotaged the show's ratings when they allowed Season 3 to run into the fall premieres of Ashton Kutcher's debut on Two and a Half Men and Monday Night Football. The ratings took a big drop and never recovered and then Syfy let the show run even deeper into the fall television schedule the next year.

I was hoping they'd at least get a 13-episode final season but it seems they'll be getting what Eureka should have gotten last year.

I'll miss Warehouse 13. It was a ridiculous amount of fun.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 11:54 PM   #23
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
We had the Trek shows (TNG, DS9, VOY), the Posthumus Roddenberry Shows (Andromeda and EFC - Both of which sank rather low in S5 with Budget cutbacks...Andromeda being stuck in one place; EFC cutting the long running cast). The Stargate shows (SG1 and SGA), Babylon 5 and a few other SyFy shows. (Sanctuary, Eureka maybe others?) and I guess you could also include LOST and Fringe. Can't really think of any more off hand
Smallville (10 seasons) and Supernatural (9 seasons as of next season) are the US SFF shows that have had the longest runs since Stargate SG-1 ended.
Old May 18 2013, 12:01 AM   #24
JD
Admiral

The X-Files ran for 9 seasons.
I'm sad to hear this news, but the shows had a good run. I wish they could have gotten more than 6 episodes, but at least it's better than nothing and they'll know it's the end so they can be ready to tie things up nicely.
Old May 18 2013, 01:24 AM   #25
stj
Rear Admiral

Wedding bells for Pete and Myka!
Old May 18 2013, 02:12 AM   #26
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
Wedding bells for Pete and Myka!
I'm hoping for Myka and HG myself.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 02:25 AM   #27
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I still want to see Pete's mom and ex-wife in the same ep.
Old May 18 2013, 02:49 PM   #28
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I still want to see Pete's mom and ex-wife in the same ep.

JANE: You were never good enough for my son!
AMANDA: I could never understand why he felt the need to drink to excess... until I met you. I would too if you were MY mother!

Six eps are better than none... or one!

I wonder if in the finale TPTB will kill off all our people, destroy the warehouse again and leave us with the image of the Jane & the other Regents buildling Warehouse 14, this time in Siberia or the Amazon.

Old May 18 2013, 09:05 PM   #29
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

It'll be sad to see the Eurekaverse go. I wish we were getting more than six episodes - but hopefully it will give the writers time to wrap up any major storylines, especially if season four ends with a cliffhanger.

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 12:52 AM   #30
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

All I really want to see is a happy life for Artie. Maybe he can finally get together with Lindsay Wagner and ride happily off into the sunset in his little red car. Or maybe he can become a regent and hand the keys to the Warehouse over to Pete and Myka.
"This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both,and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased." -Dickens.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote