A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 141 19.11%
A 160 21.68%
A- 99 13.41%
B+ 82 11.11%
B 58 7.86%
B- 27 3.66%
C+ 40 5.42%
C 38 5.15%
C- 24 3.25%
D+ 11 1.49%
D 13 1.76%
D- 10 1.36%
F 35 4.74%
Voters: 738. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 18 2013, 12:58 AM   #2686
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post

I think Kirk's threesome could've been cut from the film. I think it's a caricature of Kirk to say he would do something like that.
I have no problem with Kirk having sex with two beautiful women, especially at his age. Maybe TOS Kirk would have a little whisper in his head saying "be discreet" and maybe.. he wouldn't. And maybe in this century enjoying yourself in bed with some tail (SEE WHAT I DID THERE) is not "something like that" but just mutual recreation.

I agree with you that Carol's underwear scene is gratuitous. I think showing Zoe's ass was another faux pas. It's not perfect, but the character of Uhura is 10x better than any woman in Starfleet before her. It's just not to where it needs to be outside the Star Trek world.
When did they show Zoe's ass?

And yes, gratuitous underwear. I would have preferred to see her in bed with someone if they wanted to flash her underwear. But whatever. I think we're getting some foreshadowing for Kirk's future relationship with her.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 01:00 AM   #2687
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
insane to beam her onto that transport rather than a security dude
Agreed. Although Star Trek's been guilty of overusing its main cast, from the very beginning. It could have been a female security officer, too, who was beamed down instead instead of Uhura, by the way.

When are we going to have a woman villain?
Dunno about next time, but we've already had the Borg Queen.
Old May 18 2013, 01:01 AM   #2688
Pauln6
Commodore

Yes it was completely silly to have her on the volcano mission and insane to beam her onto that transport rather than a security dude. But it was also good to see them giving the women something to do other than open hailing frequencies. It doesn't make a huge amount of sense but it's better than the alternative.

In the comics both Zahra and Rand take on the roles of security, although I favour keeping Rand as Kirk's yeoman because it gives her more of a connection to him and to the action. At the moment, they've glossed over why she is a yeoman at all.

Admiral Marcus should have been Carol's mum. Anybody who has watched the Manchurian Candidate could see a parallel. To late now though - nothing but male admirals in this reality. Buttlerfly Effect dontcha know?

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 01:03 AM   #2689
royalfan5
Fleet Captain

I went prepared to fully love the movie, yet it struck me somewhat cold. I ended up giving it a B-. That being said, I will see it again to double check my original impressions. I think the thing that was the most off putting to me was all the call backs to TWOK. I felt like the writers were using a sledge hammer to get the point that this is Star Trek across when they just needed a regular hammer. Of course there was still a lot of stuff I enjoyed, and I probably would have really enjoyed a Robocop reference or two, especially if they could have gotten Kurtwood Smith involved in this iteration of Trek as well.
Old May 18 2013, 01:04 AM   #2690
teacake
Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
insane to beam her onto that transport rather than a security dude
Agreed. Although Star Trek's been guilty of overusing its main cast, from the very beginning. It could have been a female security officer, too, who was beamed down instead instead of Uhura, by the way.

Yep, good point.

Dunno about next time, but we've already had the Borg Queen.
Oh I forgot about her.. JOKE!!

I want someone the caliber of Louise Fletcher or Polly Walker on the big screen as THE villain in a Trek movie.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 01:06 AM   #2691
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

Kirk's speech near the end of the movie was just amazing. you can actually hear the experience and maturity in his voice coming out and i can't wait to see how seasoned he will be when film 3 comes out.
mattman8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 01:09 AM   #2692
Opus
Commodore

I wonder how far in the future the next film will be. I'm thinking maybe the fourth year into their five-year mission.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 01:12 AM   #2693
teacake
Admiral

I'm still scared that Star Wars will keep the third film from us.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 01:15 AM   #2694
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

I think Kirk's threesome could've been cut from the film. I think it's a caricature of Kirk to say he would do something like that.
I have no problem with Kirk having sex with two beautiful women, especially at his age. Maybe TOS Kirk would have a little whisper in his head saying "be discreet" and maybe.. he wouldn't. And maybe in this century enjoying yourself in bed with some tail (SEE WHAT I DID THERE) is not "something like that" but just mutual recreation.

I agree with you that Carol's underwear scene is gratuitous. I think showing Zoe's ass was another faux pas. It's not perfect, but the character of Uhura is 10x better than any woman in Starfleet before her. It's just not to where it needs to be outside the Star Trek world.

And yes, gratuitous underwear. I would have preferred to see her in bed with someone if they wanted to flash her underwear. But whatever. I think we're getting some foreshadowing for Kirk's future relationship with her.
As she's walking towards the Klingons, her ass is in the shot. It's about 5-10 seconds of just watching her walk with the Klingons in the background.
Old May 18 2013, 01:16 AM   #2695
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

Opus wrote: View Post
I wonder how far in the future the next film will be. I'm thinking maybe the fourth year into their five-year mission.
yeah they do need to make the characters a little bit older to match the actors that's playing them. heck John Cho is the oldest actor at 40, he's playing a 20 something year old Sulu.
Old May 18 2013, 01:17 AM   #2696
RAMA
Vice Admiral

mattman8907 wrote: View Post
Kirk's speech near the end of the movie was just amazing. you can actually hear the experience and maturity in his voice coming out and i can't wait to see how seasoned he will be when film 3 comes out.
Between the speech and the start of the 5 year mission, this was one of the best endings of any ST movie.
Old May 18 2013, 01:19 AM   #2697
teacake
Admiral

As she's walking towards the Klingons, her ass is in the shot. It's about 5-10 seconds of just watching her walk with the Klingons in the background.
I was too busy thinking about scared she obviously was, and how she was pulling herself together to also think "oh that is her ass". Because you know when people walk in front of you of course you see their ass. Maybe you just noticed this because you like her ass?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 18 2013, 01:22 AM   #2698
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

I was too busy thinking about scared she obviously was, and how she was pulling herself together to also think "oh that is her ass". Because you know when people walk in front of you of course you see their ass. Maybe you just noticed this because you like her ass?
[sarcasm]Yeah, it's my fault.[/sarcasm]
Old May 18 2013, 01:22 AM   #2699
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

I wonder if in the third film we will see Carol and Kirk hooking up and having David.
Old May 18 2013, 01:26 AM   #2700
teacake
Admiral

[sarcasm]Yeah, it's my fault.[/sarcasm]
Seriously, I have seen this movie three times AND I like a nice woman's body as much as the next person. I do not recall any gratuitous ass scenes and if you are saying that you could see her ass because she was walking away from the camera.. SO? You can see everyone's asses in that position. What was gratuitous about it?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne