Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 141 19.13%
A 159 21.57%
A- 99 13.43%
B+ 82 11.13%
B 58 7.87%
B- 27 3.66%
C+ 40 5.43%
C 38 5.16%
C- 24 3.26%
D+ 11 1.49%
D 13 1.76%
D- 10 1.36%
F 35 4.75%
Voters: 737. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 18 2013, 12:34 AM   #2671
Yorkshire Niner
Captain

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

flemm wrote: View Post
One other thing: was that actually an A.I. or mechanical crew member on the bridge, or did I misread that? Thought he was pretty cool.
I too was really pleased that Lando's assistant from Cloud City had got himself a cool new job!
Old May 18 2013, 12:35 AM   #2672
gornsky
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ovation wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
There's a lot of the voice over in the trailers that doesn't appear in the movie. Either they trimmed a scene or two, or the dialogue was written for the trailer.

Certainly Pike's dialogue in the trailers isn't lifted from his scenes - the gist is the same, but different wording and attitude.
Which was a whole lot better (that was one of my favourite scenes). I guess the rest will be extras on the deluxe 3-D/2-D Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy release in November.
Just gotta say it again. Greenwood was SMOKIN' in that scene.

Where the trailer version was oratory, this was a complete bollocking, an emasculation, a man taking on a child. I felt every ounce of Pike's experience, his frustration, his disappointment. And I have to hand it to Pine, after a few token justifications which, on first utterance he believed wholeheartedly, Kirk just looked shattered, chastened, beaten. He looked so completely deflated that it made sense that Pike immediately went to Marcus to reinstate Kirk to active duty, then came looking for him to reignite his confidence in himself.

Then in the scene, I just believed Pike was in terrible agony. That shallow puffing, that glassy-eyed stare of the nearly gone putting every last ounce of energy into just hanging on. And then he managed to look completely corpse-like and lifeless with a single tear running down his cheek.

Tour de force performance. In every thing BG does he is completely convincing. He can be a thoroughly terrifying villain or a magnificent hero. I am SO sad to have lost him in this universe.
gornsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 12:37 AM   #2673
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Great movie. Loved it.
Old May 18 2013, 12:37 AM   #2674
Yorkshire Niner
Captain

Phily B wrote: View Post
I wish Uhura was the character she was in the original movies as well, the strong and useful character who actually did things like humorously read Klingon and dance like a stripper.
"All the single ladies, all the single ladies..."

Old May 18 2013, 12:39 AM   #2675
Opus
Commodore

You mean Uhura, who:

- jumped from a shuttle damaged from being inside an active volcano into an alien ocean?

- was a member of an away-team party that flew down to Kronos in an unarmed civilian spacecraft that was being chased by Klingon warcraft?

- faced off against a band of Klingon warriors while the men in the away-team hid in the ship?

- fought with the other members of the away-team against Klingon warriors?

- beamed down to a moving garbage scow where she shot and incapacitated the main villain of the movie?
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 12:40 AM   #2676
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

gornsky wrote: View Post

Just gotta say it again. Greenwood was SMOKIN' in that scene.

Where the trailer version was oratory, this was a complete bollocking, an emasculation, a man taking on a child. I felt every ounce of Pike's experience, his frustration, his disappointment. And I have to hand it to Pine, after a few token justifications which, on first utterance he believed wholeheartedly, Kirk just looked shattered, chastened, beaten. He looked so completely deflated that it made sense that Pike immediately went to Marcus to reinstate Kirk to active duty, then came looking for him to reignite his confidence in himself.
Last night I was watching it thinking.. have we EVER seen Kirk taken down a peg like this? And I don't think we have. And it was absolutely perfect because Kirk does want Pike's approval. I like how it takes quite a bit of dressing down before it sinks in too, it's a great Kirk scene as well as being fantastic acting from Greenwood.
Then in the scene, I just believed Pike was in terrible agony. That shallow puffing, that glassy-eyed stare of the nearly gone putting every last ounce of energy into just hanging on. And then he managed to look completely corpse-like and lifeless with a single tear running down his cheek.

Tour de force performance. In every thing BG does he is completely convincing. He can be a thoroughly terrifying villain or a magnificent hero. I am SO sad to have lost him in this universe.
I think it was the most realistic death scene I've ever witnessed. Actually started worrying about death in the middle of it!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 12:41 AM   #2677
gornsky
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post
Great work on that avatar, Ryan8bit.
Do you actually understand what's going on there? At first it was just a white Montalban Khan (the antithesis of Salvor Hardin's avatar), but over the past couple weeks it's been undergoing a gradual metamorphosis...
Oh wow. Creepy but so cool. I look forward to future iterations.
gornsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 12:42 AM   #2678
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
It's interesting to see some actual resaerch confirms what I've been grumbling about in Trek. Here's what it says about STID:

"Star Trek Into Darkness has two women as well: Zoe Saldana’s Uhura, who is tough and smart, although most of her screen time is devoted to the particulars of her romantic relationship with Spock, and the new character of Dr. Carol Marcus (Alice Eve), a brilliant scientist who nonetheless gets an underwear scene that plays like the dictionary definition of “gratuitous.”"

Actually, he forgot the mom, two hookers, and some nurses, although all their dialogue added together was less than Keenser's, plus Aisha Hind's bald navigator.
I think you're making something out of nothing. While I agree that Marcus' underwear scene was gratuitous, I think the idea of changing the whole scenes just to include conversations with female characters is foolhardy. Uhura and Spock's relationship was a part of showing how Spock's emotions were getting the better of him and how she was worried that he may be suicidal after what happened in 09.

It's not this production crew's fault that the TOS crew had one woman with a large role in it, they obviously weren't willing to change everything just for the sake of a "perception" of equality. Now forgive me if I seem callous, but it's the same problem with people who want to put a gay character in and, almost literally, shove it in our faces. Showing equality doesn't mean pandering to that part of the population, it means showing that they too can be a part of something, and in that sense, Star Trek has succeeded.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 12:45 AM   #2679
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

I didn't love it, but it was better than I thought it would be. Much better than ST09. But it still felt lightweight. Kirk is much quippier than I care for, though they seem to be letting him earn some gravitas via experience, which is fine. I'm all for some humor but the crew exchanges frequently felt more in tone with Farscape than Star Trek, in fact, now that I think about it, the Abrams team writers' Kirk seems much more Jon Crichton than Captain Kirk, though there were several moments when Pine managed to evoke Kirk pretty effectively.

My basic conclusion - enjoyable movie, and there appears to be some real hope for this series as Star Trek. Like most new incarnations it may simply be taking its time finding it feet. Right now I feel like I did after suffering through most of the awful season 1 of TNG and finally getting 11001001 - I see an inkling of interesting Trek coming to life. Now, if the next movie can manage to be Measure of a Man, we'll be in business.

By which I mean, they need to lay off redoing TOS material and actually create something original. New versions of Trek are worthless until they find their own voice. There was plenty of set up for Klingons and Khan's return, but here's hoping they can strike out on their own for at least one picture.

Meanwhile, this very doubtful Trekkie regained a little hope today. I might even go see it again.
Old May 18 2013, 12:46 AM   #2680
Flake
Commodore

Well Uhura is a comm officer so there is not much she can do really. She only gets more dialogue in the reboot because of her relationship with Spock.

All the strong female characters are in the spinoffs (except TNG because Yar got killed off)

Rebooted Janeway.. what actress?
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 12:47 AM   #2681
Pauln6
Commodore

Opus wrote: View Post

- faced off against a band of Klingon warriors while the men in the away-team hid in the ship?

- beamed down to a moving garbage scow where she shot and incapacitated the main villain of the movie?
I was glad to see Uhura get some screen time BUT the fact it was just her and a bunch of men on the ship is symptomatic of the problem the franchise has with its gender roles.

Putting Uhura on the volcano mission and beaming her down to help Spock instead of a few security guards was silly. Putting her on those missions alongside qualified personnel would have been fine.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 12:49 AM   #2682
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

I whipped this up after the first "Disruption" video came out, with Harrison's analysis of Kirk and played on the rumors that Harrison was Khan, although I very much believed he was not. Turns out I was spot on without knowing it.

Old May 18 2013, 12:51 AM   #2683
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
It's interesting to see some actual resaerch confirms what I've been grumbling about in Trek. Here's what it says about STID:

"Star Trek Into Darkness has two women as well: Zoe Saldana’s Uhura, who is tough and smart, although most of her screen time is devoted to the particulars of her romantic relationship with Spock, and the new character of Dr. Carol Marcus (Alice Eve), a brilliant scientist who nonetheless gets an underwear scene that plays like the dictionary definition of “gratuitous.”"

Actually, he forgot the mom, two hookers, and some nurses, although all their dialogue added together was less than Keenser's, plus Aisha Hind's bald navigator.
I think you're making something out of nothing. While I agree that Marcus' underwear scene was gratuitous, I think the idea of changing the whole scenes just to include conversations with female characters is foolhardy. Uhura and Spock's relationship was a part of showing how Spock's emotions were getting the better of him and how she was worried that he may be suicidal after what happened in 09.

It's not this production crew's fault that the TOS crew had one woman with a large role in it, they obviously weren't willing to change everything just for the sake of a "perception" of equality. Now forgive me if I seem callous, but it's the same problem with people who want to put a gay character in and, almost literally, shove it in our faces. Showing equality doesn't mean pandering to that part of the population, it means showing that they too can be a part of something, and in that sense, Star Trek has succeeded.
I think Kirk's threesome could've been cut from the film. I think it's a caricature of Kirk to say he would do something like that. I agree with you that Carol's underwear scene is gratuitous. I think showing Zoe's ass was another faux pas. It's not perfect, but the character of Uhura is 10x better than any woman in Starfleet before her. It's just not to where it needs to be outside the Star Trek world.
Old May 18 2013, 12:53 AM   #2684
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Opus wrote: View Post

I was glad to see Uhura get some screen time BUT the fact it was just her and a bunch of men on the ship is symptomatic of the problem the franchise has with its gender roles.

Putting Uhura on the volcano mission and beaming her down to help Spock instead of a few security guards was silly. Putting her on those missions alongside qualified personnel would have been fine.
Yes it was completely silly to have her on the volcano mission and insane to beam her onto that transport rather than a security dude. But it was also good to see them giving the women something to do other than open hailing frequencies. It doesn't make a huge amount of sense but it's better than the alternative.

When are we going to have a woman villain?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 12:56 AM   #2685
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
I think Kirk's threesome could've been cut from the film. I think it's a caricature of Kirk to say he would do something like that. I agree with you that Carol's underwear scene is gratuitous. I think showing Zoe's ass was another faux pas. It's not perfect, but the character of Uhura is 10x better than any woman in Starfleet before her. It's just not to where it needs to be outside the Star Trek world.
Kirk's threesome was there to show how immature he was, same with him ogling at Uhura. As for Uhura herself, she's an independent woman who rose through the ranks using her expertise and genius, and you can't really fault her for caring about her boyfriend. For God's sake the man lost almost everything, literally.

Equality isn't numbers here. It's the actions.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote