The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 17 2013, 10:47 PM   #196
Flake
Commodore

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Phily B wrote: View Post
I think it's more likely they'd just not increase the budget, if it does well overseas and gets 200m+ along with 200m+ domestic it should be okay. I don't think Abrams is vital, I think Brad Bird would be a good choice as he did well with MI.
I would like Brad Bird as well. Apparently he was first choice on Star Wars but he passed and now JJ is doing it. Bird is committed to directing a movie that is released in Summer 2015 so there would be no chance of doing Star Wars without dropping the movie he is doing and he didn't want to.

It would be nice for a director to come in and say he actually was/is a big Trek fan because he would have one up on JJ straight away. Can you imagine the internet meltdown if JJ said he didn't like Star Wars?
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 10:52 PM   #197
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Brad Bird directing a Trek movie would be great. Unfortunately I think J.J.'s replacement is more likely to be a step down.
Old May 17 2013, 10:56 PM   #198
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

I nominate Michael Bay and Megan Fox as Number One.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 10:59 PM   #199
Kpnuts
Commodore

Flake wrote: View Post
I think it's more likely they'd just not increase the budget, if it does well overseas and gets 200m+ along with 200m+ domestic it should be okay. I don't think Abrams is vital, I think Brad Bird would be a good choice as he did well with MI.
I would like Brad Bird as well. Apparently he was first choice on Star Wars but he passed and now JJ is doing it. Bird is committed to directing a movie that is released in Summer 2015 so there would be no chance of doing Star Wars without dropping the movie he is doing and he didn't want to.

It would be nice for a director to come in and say he actually was/is a big Trek fan because he would have one up on JJ straight away. Can you imagine the internet meltdown if JJ said he didn't like Star Wars?
If Bird is down to direct a film released in 2015, how does that make him any more possible than JJ? Star Wars is also out 2015.
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 11:00 PM   #200
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Matthew Vaughn would do a good job, I think. I quite liked X-Men First Class.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 11:03 PM   #201
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Bird's next film is currently scheduled to be released in December 2014. Whether he'd be available for the next Trek depends on how fast they want to make it.
Old May 17 2013, 11:04 PM   #202
Flake
Commodore

Kpnuts wrote: View Post

If Bird is down to direct a film released in 2015, how does that make him any more possible than JJ? Star Wars is also out 2015.
I mean for Star Wars.

Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy approached Brad Bird first but he is currently making Tomorrowland for release in summer 2015 which is the same date they want for Star Wars, he said no.

JJ was asked when he was in the middle of post-production for Star Trek Into Darkness and was not committed to any film after STID is complete, therefore he is free to direct a movie coming out in Summer 2015, unlike Brad Bird.

Paramount want Trek in 2016 and I doubt they will wait for another 4 years next time, assuming the box office is enough.
Old May 17 2013, 11:06 PM   #203
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy approached Brad Bird first but he is currently making Tomorrowland for release in summer 2015 which is the same date they want for Star Wars, he said no.
As I said above, Tomorrowland is currently scheduled for December 2014, which would still preclude him from making Star Wars for summer 2015.
Old May 17 2013, 11:08 PM   #204
Flake
Commodore

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Bird's next film is currently scheduled to be released in December 2014. Whether he'd be available for the next Trek depends on how fast they want to make it.
Ah I thought that movie was summer 2015. Still, it conflicts with Star Wars and thats why he couldn't direct Star Wars.

Star Trek Into Darkness started filming in Jan 2012, so to make May 2016 it needs to start Jan 2015. I don't think that gives Brad Bird enough time. If Paramount release ST3 in Nov-Dec 2016 then that gives him time.
Old May 17 2013, 11:13 PM   #205
Dream
Admiral

My hope is that most people are waiting until the weekend to see STID. I like the movie and would like a sequel.

Those hoping this movie fails don't seem to understand that if it does, Trek really is completely dead.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 11:23 PM   #206
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

From BoxOffice.com:

Friday Update #2: Early estimates indicate that Star Trek Into Darkness is headed for around $85 million from Friday-Sunday. If that happens, the Paramount release will be at $98.5 million by the end of the weekend. Don't be surprised to see a surge in attendance that would push the film past $100 million. Into Darkness is performing very well on Facebook and Twitter, and it boasts an "A" from CinemaScore.
Old May 17 2013, 11:25 PM   #207
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

RIP Star Trek

Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 11:37 PM   #208
Flake
Commodore

From BoxOffice.com:

Friday Update #2: Early estimates indicate that Star Trek Into Darkness is headed for around $85 million from Friday-Sunday. If that happens, the Paramount release will be at $98.5 million by the end of the weekend. Don't be surprised to see a surge in attendance that would push the film past $100 million. Into Darkness is performing very well on Facebook and Twitter, and it boasts an "A" from CinemaScore.
Please Q let it be true !
Old May 17 2013, 11:42 PM   #209
Dream
Admiral

Anything over 100M over the four day opening would be very good.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 11:44 PM   #210
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

From BoxOffice.com:

Please Q let it be true !
I'm telling you now, if STID flops I'm holding you responsible for jinxing it.
I'll be coming for you

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote