TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 15 2013, 11:53 AM   #16
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2013 - Malmö

We shall soon see if there will be any bloc voting, remember in part the new voting system mix of telepohone and panel was brought in part because of perceived bloc voting.

Though one has to wonder how some countries would do if they went back to having to sing in your native language or one of your countries offical languages.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 12:33 PM   #17
.:: TSN ::.
Lieutenant Commander

Block voting pretty much only affects lower positions in score board. Winning perfomances usually get high points from across Europe. So most popular song usually wins by its own merit.

And scores in lower positions dont really matter (except to country in question) since nowadays everyone, except winner & paying countries, need to go through semifinals.
.:: TSN ::. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 12:11 AM   #18
Eyes
Commodore

View Eyes's Twitter Profile

Awful results in tonight's semi. A few of my favourites, the strong ones, got through but I really liked all the non-qualifiers - and my 4 least favourites got through.

Bulgaria and San Marino especially, really sad for them; they never qualify and they had really good songs. Bulgaria was really unique too.

There is a lot of good in the final but the semi-voters have really made some mistakes this year and let some crap through too. Still, there's mostly something for everyone, but a lot of the glorious ethnic stuff didn't make it in.
Old May 17 2013, 08:13 PM   #19
Seven of Five
Commodore

Missed this other semi thanks to work, but I'm probably glad I did by the sounds of it. I caught the clips of the qualifying songs and was happy to see more strangeness with the Greek entry ("ALCOHOL IS FREE!"), and also whichever entry the guy doing soprano was. Norway sounded good, or at least what I heard.

I really like the sound of the French entry. I'm not sure it will do well, but I hope it gets some points. I think it's the better song of the Big 5.

Looking forward to tomorrow anyway. Have friends coming for food and drink so we'll enjoy ourselves whatever happens.
Old May 17 2013, 08:41 PM   #20
MacLeod
Admiral

Eyes wrote: View Post
Awful results in tonight's semi. A few of my favourites, the strong ones, got through but I really liked all the non-qualifiers - and my 4 least favourites got through.

Bulgaria and San Marino especially, really sad for them; they never qualify and they had really good songs. Bulgaria was really unique too.

There is a lot of good in the final but the semi-voters have really made some mistakes this year and let some crap through too. Still, there's mostly something for everyone, but a lot of the glorious ethnic stuff didn't make it in.
Where would Eurovision be without the odd bad song?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old May 17 2013, 08:54 PM   #21
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

The good news is that there isn't anything offensively awful. To my ears that is. And there isn't much kitsch. Greece is the only thing approaching novelty and it's rather fun, being called 'Alcohol Is Free'. Make financial jokes at your leisure.
Bad news surely?
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 09:11 PM   #22
MacLeod
Admiral

The real question, the only question is will any song score nul points?
Old May 17 2013, 09:58 PM   #23
Eyes
Commodore

I doubt that. Because of so many countries the odds of no-one chucking your entry at least a point are slim. Hasn't been one in the final since UK 2003.

JoeZhang wrote: View Post

The good news is that there isn't anything offensively awful. To my ears that is. And there isn't much kitsch. Greece is the only thing approaching novelty and it's rather fun, being called 'Alcohol Is Free'. Make financial jokes at your leisure.
Bad news surely?
Well by that I mean something I couldn't stand to spend 3 minutes listening to (which is rare as I'm fairly open-minded about these things but there were a couple last year). The entries I'm slightly sad about getting through are bland ballady numbers which blocked some really interesting ethnic stuff that would have livened up the final a lot. Some of the ballads are great this year, some are not.

Totally novelty entries are fine if there's a small number so we don't get overloaded - the contest is slowly but surely winning back its credibility work with me here.

This year has provided about 12 songs I'll probably continue to listen to after the contest in a 'really genuinely like these songs' way and I like it like that, I'd far prefer that to a night of shit songs (ha ha 'that's what it is anyway'... my music taste is not like that ) . Besides, half those songs have kooky staging so you'll remember them - it should be a fun night.

Also Turkey (who weren't taking part this year anyway but..) have decided to not broadcast the final because Finland is including a lesbian kiss in their performance. Um.. yeah.
Old May 18 2013, 09:51 AM   #24
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

We completely differ then - I'm (and my friends who have euro-vision parties) not interested in twelve credible acts - I'm interested in a man dressed as a hoover break-dancing or similar.
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 10:55 AM   #25
JRS
Fleet Captain

I have enjoyed this years ESC. I found the second semi to be more enjoyable, even though most of my favorites were on the first
My favorites this year: Denmark, Germany and Ukraine.
I also like: Norway, Spain, Georgia, Lithuania and even Romania somewhat.
Russia and Estonia are not bad either, kudos to latter of getting to the final with their own language.

I think Sweden has done well hosting the contest so far and I have enjoyed it much The overall song quality has been fine, though not so many I would call my favorites..less than previous years I would say.

Looks like Denmark is big contender for winning, I do not mind but its bit dull that its decided beforehand. I hope there will be some excitement with the results at least, before the winner is announced this evening.
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon

Last edited by JRS; May 18 2013 at 11:09 AM.
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 11:11 AM   #26
Pingfah
Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
We completely differ then - I'm (and my friends who have euro-vision parties) not interested in twelve credible acts - I'm interested in a man dressed as a hoover break-dancing or similar.
Yeah, the problem now is that it wants to be a credible music competition rather than a freak show. And that is a problem, because whilst many of the songs being entered are no longer idiotically poor, they are not credible or interesting either. They are the blandest, most watered down, middle of the road crap you could imagine.
Old May 18 2013, 11:45 AM   #27
Australis
Writer

Down Here we get it on Fri-Sat-Sun nights, so I'm watching semifinal 2 right now. ESC is huge here, you may have seen the clip in semi 1. So many things I could say about it, there's less bizarro than there used to be, which is sad, but gee there's some good stuff. Really liked Ukraine, powerful voice, thought the astronaut one odd, Greece funny, and right now Norway is on and I like it, pretty different, she's certainly charismatic. More later.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 11:46 AM   #28
Eyes
Commodore

Yeah, they are going for the trick of appealing to as many people as possible. It's those damn Voice contestants. I'm hoping and expecting that many of those will cancel each other out (even if I do like some of the MoR stuff a lot) and votes will go to the more unique songs but when the likes of Azerbaijan and Russia are in it to win it by any means necessary they aren't going to risk alienating anyone.

I'd love the contest to become a credible inter-country competition but I don't want it to bore its audience at the same time.
Old May 18 2013, 12:21 PM   #29
Australis
Writer

Romania is on. What the hell?!

Being rocky by nature I preferred Switzerland and Albania.

In brief:
Latvia: bringing back Jedward

Macedonia: a little weird

Azerbaijan well done but no winner

Bulgaria: pretty ethnic (this is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned).

Greece: awesome, and a song that would go well Down Here

Israel: good singer but not a winning song

Armenia: John Goodman on keyboards!

Norway: awesome, just great

Albania: that's my speed, rocking it up!

Bring on the final!
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 12:29 PM   #30
Eyes
Commodore

Romania's my least favourite in the final, it's just bizarre. Bulgaria was sooo good, such a shame it didn't make it to the final - the same act made it in for them in 2007 so I had been hoping.

Norway is really modern and credible electropop, I hope it can do well although I'm worried people won't take to it as much as the radio-friendly stuff.