RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,675
Members: 24,202
Currently online: 559
Newest member: wendelcarree

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 17 2013, 06:00 PM   #151
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

It comes as little suprise that Star Trek: Into Darkness beamed into number 1 at the UK Box Office.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 07:35 PM   #152
LOKAI of CHERON
Fleet Captain

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

I don't want to be overly pessimistic, but I do believe Fast 6 could potentially whack the Enterprise out of warp speed next week. It's already opened here in the UK, so it'll be fascinating to see how it impacts on STID over this weekend.
Old May 17 2013, 07:38 PM   #153
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
I don't want to be overly pessimistic, but I do believe Fast 6 could potentially whack the Enterprise out of warp speed next week. It's already opened here in the UK, so it'll be fascinating to see how it impacts on STID over this weekend.
Someone should do some CGI of a Ford Mustang running the Enterprise down and knocking it out of warp.
Old May 17 2013, 07:49 PM   #154
Joby
Fleet Captain

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening

Flake wrote: View Post
Really die hard Star Wars fans are no more numerous than Trekkies IMHO, what gives Star Wars the edge is more of the masses enjoyed them back in the day and lots of kids enjoyed the prequels so they will watch again whereas many people may not give Star Trek a chance because of the stereotype and because they may mistakenly believe they need to have seen the show and older movies to be able to understand what happens.

I think the core audience of Star Trek into darkness will be 35+ yr old parents taking their children teens & 20-something's will pass and go to fast &furious and the hangover.
Fast and Furious is a franchise that has been around for years, and Hangover for about 4 years, so there will be plenty of people over 30 or 35 watching those movies too. I doubt most teenagers even remember when the first F&F movie came out. The people that were 18 or 19 when the first came out are like 30 today anyways. Teenagers today care about Twilight, Beiber and saving the Boston Bomber b/c he's cute.

And to another poster above, what kind of weirdo 25 year old adult listens to One Direction anyways? That seems like 14 year old kids stuff.
Joby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 07:49 PM   #155
LOKAI of CHERON
Fleet Captain

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Someone should do some CGI of a Ford Mustang running the Enterprise down and knocking it out of warp.
LOL, now that's a movie I'd pay good money to see!!!
Old May 17 2013, 07:56 PM   #156
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Just saw the numbers on Mojo, $11.5 million is soft! Maybe the date changes were poorly advertised.

I must say my social media is buzzing, good word of mouth is going to give it legs most likely.

RAMA
Old May 17 2013, 08:11 PM   #157
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

From The Hollywood Reporter:

J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness opened to a softer-than-expected $13.5 million at the North American box office on Thursday, putting pressure on the sequel to quickly engage warp speed.

Paramount believes the 3D pic will gross between $90 million and $100 million through Sunday but, based on Thursday results, rival studios were quick to speculate that the sequel may play more in line with Abrams' 2009 reboot, which opened to $79.2 million.

However, Paramount believes Into Darkness will quickly pick up the pace and is anticipating a $20 million-plus Friday.
Old May 17 2013, 08:12 PM   #158
Flake
Commodore

It was a really late change and I hear many adverts still say 17th so we can all hope that the majority of the masses go today, tomorrow and Sunday like normal and that the Thursday number is an anomaly resulting from the late change.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 08:19 PM   #159
MacLeod
Admiral

Maybe but The Fast and Furious (2009) only took US$20.5m at the UK box office, compared to Star Trek's (2009) US$35.4 at the UK Box Office.

A bit more detail on those UK figures

Star Trek (2009)

Opening Weekend US$9.1m
1st full Week US$5.3m

Fast and Furious (2009)

Opening Weekend US$7.2m
1st full Week US$2.9m

And for Star Trek: Into Darkness

Opening weekend US$12.9m

Only time will tell, though of course what might make F&F6 more marketable in the UK is that is it's partly set in the UK
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 08:23 PM   #160
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Flake wrote: View Post
It was a really late change and I hear many adverts still say 17th so we can all hope that the majority of the masses go today, tomorrow and Sunday like normal and that the Thursday number is an anomaly resulting from the late change.
That and frankly, who likes to go to a movie then have to get up and go to work or school the next day? I don't think the early openings are anything more than attempts to get buzz out there before the real weekend opening.

It's also probably a winner for the cineplex, because STID is going to do better on a Thursday than something in the same theater that's in its fifth or sixth week. So, even if the take is "soft" it's better than otherwise.
Old May 17 2013, 08:25 PM   #161
RAMA
Vice Admiral

On the other hand, it's already made $10.5 million more thru thursday compared to ST09.

Also $60 million way more than the comparable period for the last movie.
Old May 17 2013, 08:28 PM   #162
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

BillJ wrote: View Post
LOL, now that's a movie I'd pay good money to see!!!
Is there a Mustang in FF6? I'll have to see it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 08:29 PM   #163
Roald
Commander

RAMA wrote: View Post
Just saw the numbers on Mojo, $11.5 million is soft! Maybe the date changes were poorly advertised.

I must say my social media is buzzing, good word of mouth is going to give it legs most likely.

RAMA
I think most people will wait for the weekend to catch STID. Don't worry, the film will be a success..!
Roald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 08:30 PM   #164
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post

Is there a Mustang in FF6? I'll have to see it.
I don't know. I just picked a random fast car.
Old May 17 2013, 08:32 PM   #165
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Franklin wrote: View Post
That and frankly, who likes to go to a movie then have to get up and go to work or school the next day? I don't think the early openings are anything more than attempts to get buzz out there before the real weekend opening.
Some Thursday May openings have delivered very strong numbers. Indy 4 opened on a Thursday in May 2008 and did $25 million for the day. The Matrix Reloaded did $37 million on its Thursday opening in May 2003 and Star Wars, Episode III did $50 million on its opening Thursday in May 2005.