To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 143 19.32%
A 160 21.62%
A- 99 13.38%
B+ 82 11.08%
B 58 7.84%
B- 27 3.65%
C+ 40 5.41%
C 38 5.14%
C- 24 3.24%
D+ 11 1.49%
D 13 1.76%
D- 10 1.35%
F 35 4.73%
Voters: 740. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 17 2013, 07:52 PM   #2596
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post

Trek's full of these stupid little inconsistencies, too. Maybe Spock has a special protected and secure line to Spock Prime. Who knows?
The Spock Phone!
Even though it seems like the new crew should maybe stand on their own in this movie, doesn't it almost make sense that they should be exploiting old Spock for everything he knows about everything? I mean, I'd be on that Spock Phone EVERY DAY.

Well, I've got my tickets and am going with the wife and friends tonight. I'm very excited, but am going to try hard not to be too nitpicky. It's weird, I'm not really that nitpicky about any other fiction I watch, but there's just something about Star Trek that brings out this really nerdy part of me. I'm not sure why that is exactly.
Great work on that avatar, Ryan8bit.

I think part of the fun of a Trek movie has become picking it apart. I don't know if that's sad or not, but it just is. Long-time fans become invested in it with the same irrational emotional attachments and feelings of ownership that long-time fans of sports franchises do.

It just occurred to me that if I do really like this movie, it will be the first time I've ever really liked consecutive "Star Trek" movies.
Old May 17 2013, 07:53 PM   #2597
DaveyNY
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
What finally convinced Paramount to throw so much money at a Star Trek movie anyway? They've always been so tight fisted before.
That's easy...

J. J. Abrams.
I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
DaveyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 07:55 PM   #2598
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
I do love that they kept they "surgery on a torpedo" idea from TUC at least twice.
Heh, I never actually made that connection. Good spot!
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 07:55 PM   #2599
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

daveyNY wrote: View Post
What finally convinced Paramount to throw so much money at a Star Trek movie anyway? They've always been so tight fisted before.
That's easy...

J. J. Abrams.
The need for a big Summer blockbuster.
Old May 17 2013, 07:57 PM   #2600
DaveyNY
Commodore

daveyNY wrote: View Post
That's easy...

J. J. Abrams.
Once JJ signed on... the budget was pretty much guaranteed to be in the 'Summer Block Buster' range.
I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
Old May 17 2013, 08:00 PM   #2601
ConRefit79
Captain

I get that. But they've never been convinced before that a Star Trek movie could deliver that. After ST:TVH, the most successful film to that point, they still did not allocate much money for the next film.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 08:01 PM   #2602
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Do you actually understand what's going on there? At first it was just a white Montalban Khan (the antithesis of Salvor Hardin's avatar), but over the past couple weeks it's been undergoing a gradual metamorphosis...

I hear what you're saying about the nitpicking, but like part of me thinks that sometimes that it goes overboard and actually affects how I feel about the movie. Take Nemesis for example. When I left the theater I felt moderately entertained (although somewhat uneasy), but then the fridge logic settled in and I decided that I really didn't like the movie at all anymore.

Anyways, I'm hoping to have fun tonight. I told my wife that whenever a Star Trek movie comes out I can't seem to focus on much else. Dang it, that's so true.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 08:03 PM   #2603
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I get that. But they've never been convinced before that a Star Trek movie could deliver that. After ST:TVH, the most successful film to that point, they still did not allocate much money for the next film.
I think they were simply happy with a moderate guaranteed return on investment. There was no risk involved.
Old May 17 2013, 08:05 PM   #2604
Shilliam Watner
Commander

I have a question. Did Cupcake survive in the firefight with the Klingons? I watched but everything happened so fast in the action, I never saw what happened to him.
Shilliam Watner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 08:10 PM   #2605
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Do you actually understand what's going on there? At first it was just a white Montalban Khan (the antithesis of Salvor Hardin's avatar), but over the past couple weeks it's been undergoing a gradual metamorphosis...

I hear what you're saying about the nitpicking, but like part of me thinks that sometimes that it goes overboard and actually affects how I feel about the movie. Take Nemesis for example. When I left the theater I felt moderately entertained (although somewhat uneasy), but then the fridge logic settled in and I decided that I really didn't like the movie at all anymore.

Anyways, I'm hoping to have fun tonight. I told my wife that whenever a Star Trek movie comes out I can't seem to focus on much else. Dang it, that's so true.
I've been looking at it (your avatar) over time. I think today is when it finally clicked after staring at it for a couple of minutes.

Oddly enough, my wife (never a Trek fan at all) had no problem with TFF. She thought it had some very good moments and "liked it fine." So here I am at dinner after the movie, the one who's been a fervent Trek fan since the late-1960s, and I'm the one explaining to her why it was such a bad movie and she shouldn't like it. Go figure.
Old May 17 2013, 08:19 PM   #2606
DaveyNY
Commodore

Makes me wonder if their first pick for the role (Benicio del Toro?), could have pulled it off as well as Cumberbatch did.

I try very hard not to let myself "talk" myself into NOT liking something.

I just go with my first impressions and hang onto them for dear life no matter what I hear or read...

Letting Logic dictate my entertainment choices, usually results in me missing a fun time.
Old May 17 2013, 08:48 PM   #2607
ConRefit79
Captain

Slashdot's review:
http://entertainment.slashdot.org/st...tm_medium=feed
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 08:49 PM   #2608
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
The "message" in this movie that startled and pleased me was this one: it's immoral to kill people with remote missiles without benefit of trial. Wow...imagine that.
How very much like TOS of it, to have such a metaphor.
Old May 17 2013, 08:50 PM   #2609
Chu'lak
Lieutenant

Shilliam Watner wrote: View Post
I have a question. Did Cupcake survive in the firefight with the Klingons? I watched but everything happened so fast in the action, I never saw what happened to him.
Yep, they both did. Cuz they took off their red shirts

Poor Chekov and his look of terror
Chu'lak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 08:53 PM   #2610
Tai
Fleet Captain

Sorry if this has been answered already.

Why does Chris Hemsworth recieve a credit in the end credits as George Kirk?