Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.33%
A 161 21.61%
A- 100 13.42%
B+ 82 11.01%
B 58 7.79%
B- 27 3.62%
C+ 40 5.37%
C 38 5.10%
C- 25 3.36%
D+ 11 1.48%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 36 4.83%
Voters: 745. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 17 2013, 05:02 PM   #2551
Chu'lak
Lieutenant

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

cbspock wrote: View Post
Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
The "message" in this movie that startled and pleased me was this one: it's immoral to kill people with remote missiles without benefit of trial. Wow...imagine that.
I guess that depends. You can do anything you want to terrorists, they aren't protected and are deliberately excluded from the Geneva Conventions. The problem really is sending those drones into Klingon territory to do it. I don't think Harrison was a terrorist, Marcus just called him that to justify his unlawful order. He rushed things along before someone called him on his orders. Dead men tell no tales. You would think Starfleet would want to capture him alive if possible see who else he is working with, etc.

Pretty topical since Obama loves using drones to off people instead of capturing them for intel, also not getting permission from the country he is targeting people in as well.

-Chris

Spock Prime. It was superfluous and unnecessary but I loved it. And when Quinto asks Nimoy how they defeated him, Spock said “at great cost.” Yeah, that’s how they defeated him the second time.

But the scene cut away and I’m sure Spock Prime said, “However, in our first encounter, Khan was defeated by a lead pipe that Jim bashed over the base of his skull, knocking him into unconsciousness. Here, despite Khan’s awesome skull crushing finishing move, Spock pulls a metal handle off of the floating garbage scow and beats Khan in the face to get the upper hand. Trek destiny is fulfilled.
Chu'lak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 05:03 PM   #2552
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The "message" in this movie that startled and pleased me was this one: it's immoral to kill people with remote missiles without benefit of trial. Wow...imagine that.
I guess that depends. You can do anything you want to terrorists, they aren't protected and are deliberately excluded from the Geneva Conventions.
That's not the definition of doing what's right.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 05:07 PM   #2553
Dave Scarpa
Lieutenant Commander

Ensign Ro- wrote: View Post
I saw the American IMAX 3D premiere last night. I went in wanting to love this movie. I avoided all the spoilers. I left incredibly disappointed. I found the movie pandering, gimmicky, poor attention to detail, and just a lazy treatment. I can deal with my beloved franchise being re-booted or re-imagined. I just wish it was being done with original stories.

Even with the far-fetched and poorly thought out volcano scenes, I found what immediately followed to show promise. However, my hopes were quickly dashed. And then, there seemed a moment where Khan actually may have been re-invented as a sympathetic character who took offense to Section 31 using him and his crew for their own purposes. Again, those hopes were soon dashed as he quickly reverted back to a two dimensional villain.

All in all a fun sci-fi movie for new fans. But, I stand by my opinion of it being lazy writing, pandering, gimmicky, and just lacking the heart of the original material.

My grade = C to C-
I agree it would have worked better had they made Khan somewhat sympathetic and had Him and his crew exiled at the end of the film
Dave Scarpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 05:20 PM   #2554
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak

I'm very happy and fortunate in terms of being able to have seen this movie not under the spell of some deluded concept and expecting "my" Star Trek to unfold before me on the screen. Of course there is no such thing as "my" Star Trek.

And what a treat. The movie is definitely a step up from JJ's first attempt. A significant step up.

Entertaining from start to finish. Without a doubt some of the best shots of the Enterprise we will ever see. Solid acting, most notably from Pine who I was a bit lukewarm on, but not any more. Karl Urban stole the show once again as Bones. A believable villain, also played very well by Cumberbatch - the scene where he's negotiating terms with Spock is instantly a classic. The visuals and CGI work are without a doubt some of the best I've seen, definitely the best I've seen from a Trek movie. The present day parallels were noticeable and appreciated by me. The humor wasn't as in your face and blunt as the last movie, which I liked. Alice Eve is all kinds of hot and actually played her role well I thought, definitely more than a pretty face. I enjoyed this take on TWOK, well executed. It also got me excited for what could possibly be next - you have the 5 year mission, the potential war with the Klingons and Khan is still alive along with 72 other superhumans. Oh and did I say entertaining from start to finish?

I think they've hit it out of the park with this one. Can't wait to see it again, that was money well spent.
Old May 17 2013, 05:49 PM   #2555
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Dave Scarpa wrote: View Post
I saw the American IMAX 3D premiere last night. I went in wanting to love this movie. I avoided all the spoilers. I left incredibly disappointed. I found the movie pandering, gimmicky, poor attention to detail, and just a lazy treatment. I can deal with my beloved franchise being re-booted or re-imagined. I just wish it was being done with original stories.

Even with the far-fetched and poorly thought out volcano scenes, I found what immediately followed to show promise. However, my hopes were quickly dashed. And then, there seemed a moment where Khan actually may have been re-invented as a sympathetic character who took offense to Section 31 using him and his crew for their own purposes. Again, those hopes were soon dashed as he quickly reverted back to a two dimensional villain.

All in all a fun sci-fi movie for new fans. But, I stand by my opinion of it being lazy writing, pandering, gimmicky, and just lacking the heart of the original material.

My grade = C to C-
I agree it would have worked better had they made Khan somewhat sympathetic and had Him and his crew exiled at the end of the film

There was never anything sympathetic about Khan, especially this version of him.

-Chris
Old May 17 2013, 05:53 PM   #2556
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Chu'lak wrote: View Post
I guess that depends. You can do anything you want to terrorists, they aren't protected and are deliberately excluded from the Geneva Conventions. The problem really is sending those drones into Klingon territory to do it. I don't think Harrison was a terrorist, Marcus just called him that to justify his unlawful order. He rushed things along before someone called him on his orders. Dead men tell no tales. You would think Starfleet would want to capture him alive if possible see who else he is working with, etc.

Pretty topical since Obama loves using drones to off people instead of capturing them for intel, also not getting permission from the country he is targeting people in as well.

-Chris

Spock Prime. It was superfluous and unnecessary but I loved it. And when Quinto asks Nimoy how they defeated him, Spock said “at great cost.” Yeah, that’s how they defeated him the second time.

But the scene cut away and I’m sure Spock Prime said, “However, in our first encounter, Khan was defeated by a lead pipe that Jim bashed over the base of his skull, knocking him into unconsciousness. Here, despite Khan’s awesome skull crushing finishing move, Spock pulls a metal handle off of the floating garbage scow and beats Khan in the face to get the upper hand. Trek destiny is fulfilled.

LOL Yeah I noticed he took that handle or whatever it was off the platform and wacked Khan with it. Just like Kirk took that thing in Engineering and beat Khan with it in Space Seed..lol

-Chris
Old May 17 2013, 06:10 PM   #2557
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Didn't plan on seeing it but my mate paid for me as he didn't wanna go alone.

It's a pretty mediocre action film and the script is an atrocity but the actual production was very solid. Really liked the cast (With the obvious exception of Alice Eve!), special effects and the opening sequences. Nothing could raise the film above its script though.

I have no idea why Khan was even in this movie, or why the writers felt so lazy as to just rehash surface beats from Star Trek II. Instead of taking important stuff (Like the depth surrounding getting old!), they just took a bunch of famous lines and used them in increasingly cheesy ways. Quinto's "Khaaaaaan!" being the lowpoint of the film.

A solid C-. Fun, noisy, dumb entertainment.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 06:26 PM   #2558
Chu'lak
Lieutenant

DalekJim wrote: View Post

It's a pretty mediocre action film and the script is an atrocity but the actual production was very solid. Really liked the cast (With the obvious exception of Alice Eve!), special effects and the opening sequences. Nothing could raise the film above its script though.

I have no idea why Khan was even in this movie, or why the writers felt so lazy as to just rehash surface beats from Star Trek II. Instead of taking important stuff (Like the depth surrounding getting old!), they just took a bunch of famous lines and used them in increasingly cheesy ways. Quinto's "Khaaaaaan!" being the lowpoint of the film.

I don't belive that you didn't pay for it.
Chu'lak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 06:28 PM   #2559
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Dave Scarpa wrote: View Post

My grade = C to C-
Except that in the prior two occasions we met Khan he has consistently been a crazed megalomaniac bent on global domination who tortures and kills people when he doesn't get what he wants. The one and only time Khan comes across as "sympathetic" it's when he's playing his little violin to get Kirk to help him, primarily because Kirk has him by the balls but also because Marcus has Kirk equally by the balls.

Much like TOS, in fact; Khan's one redeeming characteristic is that he's a charming son of a bitch. That doesn't actually mitigate the fact that he's a murdering psychopath with delusions of grandeur.
Old May 17 2013, 06:28 PM   #2560
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

flemm wrote: View Post
Amasov wrote: View Post
I still think Karl Urban is being sickeningly underutilized.
Well, they can't do everything. I'd rather see Uhura and Carol Marcus have substantial roles.

Urban is really good as McCoy, though.
"enough with the metaphors. That's an order."
Old May 17 2013, 06:30 PM   #2561
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

DalekJim wrote: View Post

I am curious what your thoughts were about the vengeance theme?
Old May 17 2013, 06:37 PM   #2562
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

-Chris
And especially since this film depicted the Klingons as a bunch of backwards yet heavily-armed barbarians who live in a decimated barely-habitable shithole but nevertheless manage to be a constant pain-in-the-ass to the rest of the civilized universe.

Which sort of confirms what I've suspected for a long time now: If every different Trek race is just a standin for a particular human group, Klingons would be Muslims (and the Romulans would be Russians, Cardassians would be Nazis, Ferengi would be Jews, etc).
Old May 17 2013, 06:44 PM   #2563
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I support the President and voted for him, but the one thing I find very objectionable about him is that he has not differentiated himself from Bush much with regard to national security. So I very much appreciate the Star Trek writers taking a stand on the shit that's gone down in my country since 9/11/2001. I was really shocked at something so explicit - and it's not momentary or cursory; Kirk comes back to the theme in his address at Starfleet which ends the film.

Given that this is a central aspect of the movie I think we're on topic up to this point, but this is touchy and I'll say no more about it in this forum.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 06:45 PM   #2564
DaveyNY
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY

Been out of the movie for more than an hour now...

I'm torn...

I liked it, don't get me wrong...
It was a very entertaining two hours.

I'm kinda disappointed though, that they just decided to 're-imagine' TWoK.

I've had an inkling for awhile now that that was the direction they were heading with the story, I guess my expectations were that they would go further than that and include something more than another 'rogue' Star Fleet Admiral to round out their vision.

I'm trying very hard at this point to NOT let my long 'fan' association with Trek cloud my judgment...

It's just hard not to be a bit disheartened.

I've already seen what the original villains of Trek can do...
Please, lets go with something new and original with the next Trek movie.

<shrug>
I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
DaveyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 06:47 PM   #2565
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Saw it a second time last night, this time with my wife.

Great movie, though she enjoyed it I heard her giggling during the TWOK scream.