Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 17 2013, 06:28 AM   #76
Wowbagger
Fleet Captain

Re: References to other Trek MASSIVE SPOILERS!!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one yet. Maybe someone has and I missed it.

When Kirk wakes up in the hospital on Earth (the scene where McCoy tells him "You were only a little bit dead"), look at the big bio-readout display panel on the wall behind McCoy. In the upper-right hand corner, you'll see some numbers and the name of the physician the hospital has assigned to oversee Kirk's progress: "Dr. Boyce".

Dr. Phillip Boyce was chief medical officer on the Primeverse Enterprise under Captain Pike. (And was always my favorite character from "The Cage".)

I was disappointed by this movie overall, but the endless parade of subtle callouts like this one were much appreciated all the same.
Old May 17 2013, 06:55 AM   #77
pirates_dc
Ensign

While this may be included under the obvious nod to TWOK, I almost died when the nuSPOCK asked the old spock if he ever encountered a kahn in his travels. I dont know why, but that part just made my hair stand up even tho i knew what old spock was going to say. And he said " something something something.. he will not hesitate to kill you and everyone on that ship" or something to that affect.. either way.. that little part was one of my favorites
pirates_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 07:10 AM   #78
Destructor
Commodore

pirates_dc wrote: View Post
While this may be included under the obvious nod to TWOK, I almost died when the nuSPOCK asked the old spock if he ever encountered a kahn in his travels. I dont know why, but that part just made my hair stand up even tho i knew what old spock was going to say. And he said " something something something.. he will not hesitate to kill you and everyone on that ship" or something to that affect.. either way.. that little part was one of my favorites
I thought that bit was really odd. Surely Spock is constantly coming up against tough situations while serving on the Enterprise- does he really call up his alternate universe self every time to get advice? Talk about prejudicing the jury. Young Spock shouldn't have asked and Old Spock shouldn't have answered.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 07:22 AM   #79
pirates_dc
Ensign

Destructor wrote: View Post
pirates_dc wrote: View Post
I thought that bit was really odd. Surely Spock is constantly coming up against tough situations while serving on the Enterprise- does he really call up his alternate universe self every time to get advice? Talk about prejudicing the jury. Young Spock shouldn't have asked and Old Spock shouldn't have answered.
You have a good point, but I went into the movie with an open mind, and with the intent to enjoy it. So what ever JJ threw at me I took it as new Trek Fact. Of course, once the euphoria passes I will critique the movie for its flaws and start asking "why" but for now I am going to just go ahead and plan my next trip for a second veiwing of the movie.
pirates_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 07:39 AM   #80
mrpopsicleman
Cadet

When Kirk is in bed with the two presumably Caitian women, they're listening to music on a record player, a reference to Kirk's fondness for antiques.

Also, Scotty sabotaging the Vengeance could be a reference to when Scotty sabotaged the Excelsior.

Last edited by mrpopsicleman; May 17 2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Added another reference.
mrpopsicleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 10:45 AM   #81
imranbecks
Lieutenant Commander

Just finished watching it again and noticed a reference to the Enterprise-E...

On Qo'noS, during the scene when Uhura is speaking with the Klingon, the big circular orange backdrop looks suspiciously like the main deflector dish of the Enterprise-E.
imranbecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 10:54 AM   #82
throwback
Captain

As the shuttles are tumbling from their perches, I could see the number of one of the shuttles. It was 7, which was the number used for the Galileo in the original series and in the next generation.

Among the models in the display, there was the Wright Flyer.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 01:42 PM   #83
trekker670
Captain

imranbecks wrote: View Post

On Qo'noS, during the scene when Uhura is speaking with the Klingon, the big circular orange backdrop looks suspiciously like the main deflector dish of the Enterprise-E.

It actually reminded me of the big reveal of Shinzon in Nemesis.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 02:59 PM   #84
imranbecks
Lieutenant Commander

trekker670 wrote: View Post
imranbecks wrote: View Post

It actually reminded me of the big reveal of Shinzon in Nemesis.
Not so much. Similar though. But it was the deflector dish that caught my eye..haha.. Watch that scene closely and you can basically see the set which looks like the main deflector dish of the Ent-E. Its as though its the same set Paramount used for the deflector dish scene in First Contact...
imranbecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 03:17 PM   #85
cbspock
Rear Admiral

In the ship they took to Kronos, the yellowish circle on the consoles looked like the old astrogation disc on the center helm of the original enterprise.
Old May 17 2013, 03:24 PM   #86
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

They did this in the last movie too, but the TOS computer sounds! I had a big grin on my face as the father sent his message to Admiral Marcus and the computer made all the 60's-style bleeps and bloops. All that was missing was the typewriter noise!
Old May 17 2013, 03:39 PM   #87
cbspock
Rear Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
They did this in the last movie too, but the TOS computer sounds! I had a big grin on my face as the father sent his message to Admiral Marcus and the computer made all the 60's-style bleeps and bloops. All that was missing was the typewriter noise!

They had tons of the classic sound effects... turbolift, the sickbay computer sounds, the brig ambient noise was from the series, computers, the communicator call sound and chirp, the tricorder. McCoy's medical equipment had some original sound effects with it. The Tribble ,

Speaking of the tricorder, it was a mini version of the original.

I think I already mentioned Obsession and Kirk's reaction to Pike's death was similar to how Kirk felt about the death of Capt. Garrovick on the Farragut which led to his obsession to get the creature when the Enterprise encountered it.

The warp effect was a combination of TMP / TNG. Also when the Enterprise dropped out of warp, and then later was taken out of warp when it was attacked reminded me a little of the wormhole from TMP.

When you first see Scotty on the Vengeance, it was sort of like the scene when Scotty is on the Excelsior in Trek 3.

I also like how in most of the fight scenes they are staged like the old fights on the show.

-Chris
Old May 19 2013, 04:58 AM   #88
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Scotty calling Kirk "Jim" throughout the film was a nice call back to the Kirk/Scott relationship in the Prime Universe.

The Ketha Province is where Martok is from in the Prime Universe. (The Ketha Lowlands). Presumably it is uninhabitable because of the premature Praxis explosion.

Quite a bit of Ent, TOS and DS9 references. Anything overt from TNG or VOY outside of the Phoenix?
Old May 19 2013, 07:14 AM   #89
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

San Francisco nightclub scene with Scotty and his sidekick. There was a woman who looked like Caithlin Dar from The Final Frontier. Her hairdo looked familiar.
Old May 19 2013, 07:16 AM   #90
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
San Francisco nightclub scene with Scotty and his sidekick. There was a woman who looked like Caitlyn Dar from The Final Frontier. Her hairdo looked familiar.
YES I noticed that hair!

And it's Caithlin Dar

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote