Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 16 2013, 02:44 PM   #16
Beagleman
Captain

Re: Kitchen Nightmares nightmare in Phoenix!!!

That episode was epic in a crazy kind of way. I have to check out the UK version, never saw an episode of it and Ramsey is one of the only two celebrity-chefs that I can stand (the other being Jamie Oliver)...
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 02:59 PM   #17
J.T.B.
Commodore

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
If you go back and read the negative Yelp reviews from before the Kitchen Nightmares episode, it's all there — the food, the rudeness on the part of Samy and Amy. What's more amazing is that they didn't even try to be on their best behavior for the cameras.
TheGodBen wrote: View Post
I know that reality TV is usually edited in such a way to create drama, but if they're even half as bad as the show made them out to be then they don't deserve to be in business.
There's an article from a Phoenix dining blog back in December when the episode was shot that makes it sound like the production team was not prepared for the dysfunction going on there. The police were called at some point.

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
Oh, and J.T.B., I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought their relationship screamed "sugar-daddy and spoiled girlfriend".
I would be more surprised if someone didn't see it that way.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 03:07 PM   #18
Chu'lak
Lieutenant

This ep was a trip. She's obviously one of those spoiled pretty girls who through her whole life has been told she's wonderful and the only time people dont like what she does its because they are jealous and they hate her.

I watched it twice!
Chu'lak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 06:03 PM   #19
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

I guess she is kinda pretty in a Mr. Ed sort of way.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 10:19 PM   #20
Chu'lak
Lieutenant

Not sure if real or fake, but she's taken to the twitters

https://twitter.com/AmysBakingCo
Chu'lak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 10:23 PM   #21
Data Holmes
Admiral

Chu'lak wrote: View Post
Not sure if real or fake, but she's taken to the twitters

https://twitter.com/AmysBakingCo
Careful, it could b. hacker and the FBI Cyber Crimes Unit could be monitoring it.
Old May 16 2013, 10:46 PM   #22
sojourner
Admiral

I call fake on that. The spelling seems to be intentionally bad. And the "Obviously a Parody" comment below the title of the twitter page.
Old May 17 2013, 03:20 PM   #23
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

(Reposting my comments on this from TNZ)

I've never seen the show, but after the reaction to it here and on the rest of the internets, I had to check it out on YouTube and read the Yelp and Facebook drama.

God, what a train wreck. It's amazing that this insane couple is still in business at all between verbally and physically assaulting customers, making terrible tasting or uncooked to the point of being dangerous food, stealing their servers tips, their inability to take any criticism or disagreement, and their extremely high turnover rate due to mistreating their employees.

The negative reviews, which are only going to get worse now that the show's aired, will hopefully put the final nail in the coffin. Normally I wouldn't root for a small business to fail, especially not a restaurant since they fail so often as it is, but this couple has no business being anyone's bosses or dealing with customers.

The wife seems to have some talent at baking cakes and pastries and putting them in a pleasing display, so maybe she should try working for someone else's bakery and learning to take criticism a bit, but she just seems too far gone and arrogant to adapt. And the husband (Mr. "You're not gangster, I am gangster!") should just stay away from dealing with the public altogether before he beats someone up or worse.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 03:38 PM   #24
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
The wife seems to have some talent at baking cakes and pastries
Actually, it was later revealed online that she doesn't bake those cakes herself and that she told Gordon Ramsay she did because as a non-American he wouldn't understand the fine American tradition of reselling things.
Old May 17 2013, 03:56 PM   #25
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
The wife seems to have some talent at baking cakes and pastries
Actually, it was later revealed online that she doesn't bake those cakes herself and that she told Gordon Ramsay she did because as a non-American he wouldn't understand the fine American tradition of reselling things.
Damn, not even the one redeeming quality she had was real.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 06:12 PM   #26
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Much was said earlier in this thread about how American TV overemphasizes the spectacle of grumpy, angry, horrible Gordon Ramsay compared to the BBC, which is very true. But according to Katy Cipriano's reddit, after her interview he tipped her $20 and offered to pay for her cab ride home, as small gestures to make sure she would be alright. That's a pretty class act.

I also recall another American reality competition show where one of the contestants tried to man up and challenge Ramsay to a fight in front of the other competitors. He seemed to have confused American perception of Ramsay with the real deal. The first clue? The competitors were just absolutely confuzzled about the guy and tried to intervene on Ramsay's behalf out of respect. Yet another big clue that the American persona doesn't quite match the reality that he's, y'know, a human being.

Last edited by Cyke101; May 18 2013 at 07:07 PM.
Cyke101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 08:56 PM   #27
T J
Commodore

Now they have gone to a public relations firm and are holding a job fair to hire 30 people... god help anyone if they choose to work there...
Old May 19 2013, 04:07 AM   #28
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Hopefully some of those 30 people will be replacing Amy in the kitchen.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 04:33 AM   #29
sojourner
Admiral

Cyke101 wrote: View Post
Much was said earlier in this thread about how American TV overemphasizes the spectacle of grumpy, angry, horrible Gordon Ramsay compared to the BBC, which is very true. But according to Katy Cipriano's reddit, after her interview he tipped her $20 and offered to pay for her cab ride home, as small gestures to make sure she would be alright. That's a pretty class act.

To be fair, he's usually pretty decent with the staff. It tends to be the managers and head cooks that he blows up on.
Old May 20 2013, 11:25 PM   #30
Beagleman
Captain

I think he really cares about the quality of the food, the customers and the staff and yeah, he turns it all up a bit for the cameras but I like to believe he's a class act and a decent guy, at least that's the impression I always got from him in interviews and behind the scene stuff.
Beagleman is offline   Reply With Quote