Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 17 2013, 04:01 AM   #121
Dream
Admiral

Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Good news everyone!

Rth who is a dependable boxoffice insider just posted this for STID's Thursday's estimates. Looks like it is going to be a hit.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:18 PM
Without delving too much into it thu looking atm like 17-20m depending on evenings, that would include midnight etc. should be ableo to update later maybe couple time will see.
Old May 17 2013, 04:05 AM   #122
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

17-20m is putting us back on track for an over 100m+ opening especially since 17th is still the date that was on most trailers etc. Hooray.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 09:08 AM   #123
Phily B
Fleet Captain

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/star...ight-and-imax/

14m (including 3.2m on Wed/Thurs midnight) which is disappointing; we'll have to see how the weekend goes and hope that the 14m is because of the bump, it wouldn't be the first film to suffer from a quick release date change. I do hope it gets to the projected 100m+.

The international grosses continue to surprise: My sources say the film’s opening day in Russia looks like $1.4 million, or nearly 4x the starting gross of 2009′s Star Trek. The sequel opened in 7 international markets this past weekend, earning $40M thru Wednesday. The combined figures from these territories are almost 70% greater than 2000′s Star Trek from the same UK, Australia, Germany, Mexico, New Zealand, Austria and German-speaking Switzerland.
I think if it continues to see impressive (if not staggering) gains OS and manages to do well in Asia, Paramount will be happy. 200-250m OS could be doable.
Old May 17 2013, 09:30 AM   #124
Flake
Commodore

14m opening including Weds seems really low but it could be due to the late date change but ominously it ties up with the BTC HSX projection from yesterday.

Really great news from Russia though!

It seems that the overseas may end up taking up the slack from a poor North American showing. The only downside to that would be future movies will need to concentrate on action rather than scifi because that is how Paramount pushed it in the marketing.

Unless of course Paramount do what I want () and release the Star Trek movies at a quieter time of year instead of crowded summer or try Christmas.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 09:50 AM   #125
Dream
Admiral

Rth
Think the latest estimates reported by BOG & Nikki closer to where its going to be , off my earlier one had thought Imax screening had to be factored in, but the baseline was still higher, at the time all over place atm.
So 14M or 15M opening day? We will have to wait until Friday for the official Thursday numbers.

Also if it gets something like 30M on Friday we will know most people didn't know they moved the release day to Thursday.
Old May 17 2013, 02:21 PM   #126
section9
Commander

I will say this, and this is only anecdotal, the love for this movie is all over Social Media, especially tumblr. So I think it will get nothing but positive WOM.

Anything north of 100M and Paramount will be quietly happy, although not jubilant.

I think a lot of us here underestimate the Benedict Fangirl Base.
Old May 17 2013, 03:08 PM   #127
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

14 million through Thursday is not low.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 03:28 PM   #128
Flake
Commodore

section9 wrote: View Post
I will say this, and this is only anecdotal, the love for this movie is all over Social Media, especially tumblr. So I think it will get nothing but positive WOM.

Anything north of 100M and Paramount will be quietly happy, although not jubilant.

I think a lot of us here underestimate the Benedict Fangirl Base.
IMO Several tens of thousands of obsessive fangirls can make a huge amount of noise on something like twitter or tumblr but is totally not representative of the general audience as a whole, not when you expect 30 million admissions.

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
It is though. A number of sites quoted Paramount saying they hoped/expected 20m for Thursday. Its low. It includes Wednesday sneaks as well. $85 4-day is not good when people thought Trek would get $100+ 3-day up until only a month or so ago and now its 15m less for 4 days. With the competition exploding just 1 week after opening, Trek could find itself swept away by the shockwave..
Old May 17 2013, 04:18 PM   #129
Phily B
Fleet Captain

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
I think it makes me believe the 85m 4 day number which is poor.
Old May 17 2013, 04:21 PM   #130
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Flake wrote: View Post
$85 4-day is not good when people thought Trek would get $100+ 3-day up until only a month or so ago and now its 15m less for 4 days. With the competition exploding just 1 week after opening, Trek could find itself swept away by the shockwave..
Yeah, yeah, yeah. They're not looking at an 85 million dollar four-day take right now.

This is what Deadline has to say about it:

Still more good news at the start of the Summer 2013 box office as May continues to sizzle. My sources say Star Trek Into Darkness from Paramount Pictures, Skydance Productions, and director J.J. Abrams‘ Bad Robot began its domestic run in 3,762 theaters with at least $14 million including $3.5M in Thursday midnights and Wednesday 336 IMAX late shows. The iconic space tentpole in 3D received a coveted “A” CinemaScore to help word of mouth and 87% positive Rotten Tomatoes score setting it up for a strong weekend. Over 400 screenings offered by MovieTickets.com are sold out for this upcoming weekend. The budget was a costly $190M, but the studio is still predicting a 3-day weekend domestic estimate of $80M and 4-day estimate of $100M. Right now Star Trek Into Darkness is running around 80% of Fandango’s ticket sales...
Old May 17 2013, 04:30 PM   #131
Flake
Commodore

I want to be wrong, I want it to defy the odds and do well. I would love to be totally and unequivocally and comprehensively proved wrong about all this and Trek does really well Fingers crossed
Old May 17 2013, 04:31 PM   #132
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Theater was roughly half-full for the 2D showing we went to last night.
Old May 17 2013, 04:31 PM   #133
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

God dammit Flake, sit back and chill already. You're making me nervous.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 04:32 PM   #134
Phily B
Fleet Captain

It only took 11m on the Thursday if they're including the early screenings then? Even worse, we have to hope it's because of the release date move and it has to do stellar business today.
Old May 17 2013, 04:33 PM   #135
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Flake wrote: View Post
I want to be wrong, I want it to defy the odds and do well.
Performing up to industry expectations isn't "defying the odds." Relax.