Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 17 2013, 06:50 AM   #16
Destructor
Commodore

Re: Dragons: Riders of Berk discussion thread

Christopher wrote: View Post
Yeah, I've become considerably more fond of the show than I was when I made my initial post. I've seen the movie since then, which helped get me invested in the world. But some of the episodes have been really well-written and really well-animated. I'm hoping that in this case, unlike the usual pattern, the sequel movie will be consistent with the TV continuity, alluding to some of its characters and elements or at least not contradicting them.
I'm really glad to read this post Christopher as I've come to really respect your viewing choices and have been following your blog posts on older shows and so am happy to hear you are enjoying the show (and have seen the movie!) It feels like Dreamworks is making a concerted effort to have the series link up with the first film so hopefully they will continue that tradition with the second film (at the very least have Stoic riding Thornado!)

The line that really stayed with me from the film was when Hiccup says: "Everything we know about you is wrong." It's a very, well, 'Trekkian' moment, and you can almost feel the weight of an entire culture being to tilt just with that one realization, and in many ways the show is about well, yes, radical change CAN occur, but what are the consequences of that?

I was reminded of this as I just watched the episode where all the Dragons become ill, and Stoic looks at Thornado, sighs, and says quietly: "I spent my entire life trying to kill you." It was a beautiful moment, as good as anything in the film.

My only question about the show is: Where are the rest of the Dragons? It seems like the only dragons on Berk are the ones tamed by the kids, plus now Thornado. At the end of the film and in the first episode of the show there were heaps of them. Even when they went back to Dragon Island there were no other dragons. Have they just... spread out?
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 02:57 PM   #17
Christopher
Writer

Destructor wrote: View Post
The line that really stayed with me from the film was when Hiccup says: "Everything we know about you is wrong." It's a very, well, 'Trekkian' moment, and you can almost feel the weight of an entire culture being to tilt just with that one realization, and in many ways the show is about well, yes, radical change CAN occur, but what are the consequences of that?
That's what I loved about the movie -- the message that intelligence and compassion are better at solving problems than brute force. And the series does continue that theme pretty well.

My only question about the show is: Where are the rest of the Dragons? It seems like the only dragons on Berk are the ones tamed by the kids, plus now Thornado. At the end of the film and in the first episode of the show there were heaps of them. Even when they went back to Dragon Island there were no other dragons. Have they just... spread out?
I've noticed other dragons showing up here and there in the series, but the show doesn't have as high an animation budget as the movies and thus can't show random dragons wandering around all the time.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 06:07 AM   #18
Destructor
Commodore

I just watched eps 13 and 14 and they were both really, really enjoyable.

13 was the one where thunder keeps striking the village and so they think Thor is angry with them. Great commentary on religion and interpretation. I loved Stoic's line: "I don't pretend to know the will of Thor." but especially loved the final analysis: "Now if we can only figure out why Thor is angry at metal..."

14 was the one with Toothless' nemesis (the burrowing dragon). Really loved the moment where Hiccup stepped into the ravine to let Toothless save him- so he could save Toothless. Really clever moment that was both touching and followed by an awesome dragon fight.

I'm really surprised this show doesn't have a larger fanbase online- I guess it has more of a 'kid's show only' aura about it than Clone Wars does, but I think it is almost as good, and sometimes better.

I haven't seen past 14, but I'm really hoping that they touch on a bit of the Viking's history as dragon-slayers, maybe have them wrestle with some of the consequences of that? I know the show never gets too heavy, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it went in that direction for an episode.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 12:06 PM   #19
Mr Light
Admiral

It's a cute show but it doesn't have as much of an action premise as I hoped it would given the movie.

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 04:02 AM   #20
JD
Admiral

I've only seen three or four episodes, but I really enjoyed them.
Old June 22 2013, 09:21 PM   #21
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

First new pics for How To Train Your Dragon. They are both older, Astrid is still taller then Hiccup and Hiccup is, if I dare say it, hunkier.

Older Hiccup on Toothless

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 12:39 AM   #22
Mr Light
Admiral

Is that for the tv show or the next movie?

Old June 23 2013, 12:56 AM   #23
Christopher
Writer

Well, only the movies use the How to Train... title. And the TV character designs don't have that much detail, especially on the hair. And it's been reported before that the movie sequel will age the characters a few years.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 01:04 AM   #24
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

I missed putting the 2 in the How To Train Your Dragon. Supposedly for next season, Hiccup and the gang are suppose to be older. To bridge the gap between season two and the movie coming out.

Old June 23 2013, 04:54 AM   #25
bryce
Commodore

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce

My oldest daughter is 18 and wants to be an professional animator and she LOVES the movies and TV show - and she's even read the original book series that the films are (kinda loosely, according to her) based on. She's excited about the new move and the 11th book, as well as the new season of the TV show, and is *literally* counting down to days to all three.

And my "step-son" (her half-brother) is 7 and he *LOVES* the movie and the TV show, and is absolutely obsessed with both "Toothless" the dragon, and dragons in general. He's always telling me about it on the phone. I think he's even more obsessed with it than he is with "Iron Man" and "The Avengers" - and it's taken the place of "Cars" for him!

So I kinda can't avoid "How to Train Your Dragon" in any form...LOL.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2013, 05:00 AM   #26
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I'm trying to get my kids into it but they're neither pays too much attention to the movie. I do have all the episodes of the show on my Tivo, though...
Old June 24 2013, 07:36 PM   #27
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

Here is the unofficial synopsis for How To Train Your Dragon 2:

Hiccup and Toothless lead hundreds of hero dragons in defense of Dragon Mountain, battling against Drago Bloodfist’s huge army of Dragon Hunters and their ruthless war machines. The mighty Bewilderbeast, Master of Dragon Mountain, rises to join Hiccup against Drago’s forces, but Drago has a secret weapon – his own enslaved Bewilderbeast arrives to turn the tide. Hiccup and Drago lead their massive armies in an epic showdown.

and here is another pic of Astrid on Stormfly

Old June 24 2013, 11:28 PM   #28
Mr Light
Admiral

Glad to hear it's such an action heavy premise! The tv series has way too little of that.

Old June 26 2013, 12:28 AM   #29
JD
Admiral

Sounds like it could be pretty fun.
Old September 19 2013, 04:59 AM   #30
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

Reminder: new episode, season two premier Thursday night at 7:30pm on Cartoon Network. Don't forget title change Dragons: Defenders of Berk. I had to reset my DVR because of the change.