New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 16 2013, 11:35 PM   #121
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum
Re: Spock's line *Major Major Spoilers*

plynch wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
I once commented that I couldn't see Pine pulling off the yell and well, Quinto pulled it off pretty well to me. What turned me off more than anything was Kirk's resurrection because superhuman DNA can cure death by radiation poisoning. It just took any substance out of the scene and cheapened it. Once again the reset button was pushed.
Cheapened it a ton! Leave him dead for at least the end of a flick. Then, I guess you have to do some kaatra bs in movie 3. I really thought he would die for a while. Whatever. Just a brief detour. I also thought Chekov might bite the big one b/c of red shirt. Speaking of which, Scotty doesn't have an associate chief to take over?
I assume that the next in line was Keenser and he left with Scotty.

For me, I liked the use of the line. I think it actually works better with Spock. They built up the idea that Spock was suppressing his emotions more than usual due to losing his mother and planet. He lost Pike and felt his emotions as he died. Then he loses his friend, a man willing to risk his career to save him. A man who he knows is supposed to be his friend and that the two are supposed to share a destiny and achieve greatness together. In that moment, he lost it all and all that control breaks down.

That is Spock getting pissed and I thought was extremely well done.
Old May 16 2013, 11:51 PM   #122
Matt S
Lieutenant

moment for me was a non issue; its weird, never even thought of Old Kirk's line from TWOK
Old May 17 2013, 01:18 AM   #123
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Re: Spocks line *Major Major Spoilers*

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
I've dropped about six friends off my FB news feed for a couple of weeks just because I'm tired of their whinging about this movie. When they're over it on to the next thing I'll bring them back.

I mean, in a couple of years they'll have Cameron's second Avatar film to diss and dismiss as it goes on to become the most successful movie in history.
I might consider doing that myself, if things get to that point with the people I know.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 01:59 AM   #124
DavidLeeRoth
Lieutenant

M wrote: View Post
Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
Spock yells Khan?
Exactly. In the most unintentionally laughable way imaginable! I loathed that moment. First they re-enact more or less the whole last section from TWOK (only a trillion times cheaper, since there's no doubt in the viewer's mind that Kirk will be saved by Khan's blood anyway), and then they top it off with Spock yelling Khaaaaaaaaan!!!

Boy, what were they thinking? That's even more ridiculous than Picard driving a dune buggy.
Spock yelling "Khan!" was cheesy. The third act of the film was a bit anti-climatic overall, IMHO.
DavidLeeRoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 02:17 AM   #125
beamMe
Fleet Captain

DavidLeeRoth wrote: View Post
The third act of the film was a bit anti-climatic overall, IMHO.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 02:36 AM   #126
DavidLeeRoth
Lieutenant

beamMe wrote: View Post
It rehashed the third act of TWOK, they put Khan on ice, end of movie. It wasn't very interesting, IMO, but flat. I would have liked some kind of twist. Perhaps Kirk agrees to let Khan get stranded on a planet, as he did in "Space Seed" or something.
Old May 17 2013, 02:43 AM   #127
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I guess I missed the part in ST2 where Kirk beamed over to the Reliant and fought Khan in a hand to hand battle to stop the Genesis device.
Old May 17 2013, 02:48 AM   #128
beamMe
Fleet Captain

It rehashed the third act of TWOK, they put Khan on ice, end of movie. It wasn't very interesting, IMO, but flat. I would have liked some kind of twist. Perhaps Kirk agrees to let Khan get stranded on a planet, as he did in "Space Seed" or something.
You think that would've been a twist?

The film uses one specific element from TWoK, that's hardly a whole act.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 02:49 AM   #129
Dream
Admiral

I thought Spock's scream was pretty bad. One of the few flaws of the movie.
Old May 17 2013, 02:49 AM   #130
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

All I'm gonna say, and I was waiting for it, is I'm glad Kirk didn't say "Live long...and prosper" as he was dying. That really would have gone too far.
Old May 17 2013, 02:52 AM   #131
DavidLeeRoth
Lieutenant

R. Star wrote: View Post
I guess I missed the part in ST2 where Kirk beamed over to the Reliant and fought Khan in a hand to hand battle to stop the Genesis device.
But you did see the part where Spock seals himself in a radioactive section of engineering to save the ship and dies followed by his BFF weeping on another side of a door while saying goodbye?

I liked the movie, it was enjoyable, it's still about a million times better than those awful Star Wars prequels, but it wasn't a great movie and the rehashing of TWOK was a weakness, IMO.
Old May 17 2013, 02:56 AM   #132
DavidLeeRoth
Lieutenant

It did more than use one specific element. It rehashed one of the most iconic scenes in any Trek movie/show (badly) for the big climatic scene, only it had none of the poignancy of TWOK. It was weak, lazy and unnecessary, IMO.
Old May 17 2013, 03:02 AM   #133
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

It did more than use one specific element. It rehashed one of the most iconic scenes in any Trek movie/show (badly) for the big climatic scene, only it had none of the poignancy of TWOK. It was weak, lazy and unnecessary, IMO.
It was also the payoff of Spock's storyline in the film. The whole film he is having issues with his own emotions and how he feels about death. If you remove the scene, it has to be replaced with something similar or else Spock doesn't really get a storyline with a conclusion.
Old May 17 2013, 03:02 AM   #134
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Pfft. Silly. It's not a twist unless something goes exactly how you want it to go.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 03:05 AM   #135
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

I hope the twist to Man of Steel is that he becomes Superman.