Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 17 2013, 12:57 AM   #16
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: Klingons in STID--why do they look like a burned Kryten?

This dude here doesn't look much like Worf either. Doesn't even have hair and don't get me started on them ridges. Klingon my ass

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 12:57 AM   #17
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
They look like Klingons by way of Uruk-Hai.
Not seeing it:
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 12:58 AM   #18
DavidLeeRoth
Lieutenant

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I wouldn't use Worf as an example. His makeup changed many times over the course of TNG, DS9 and the movies.

TNG S1:

TNG S3:

TNG S6:

DS9 S4:

DS9 S6:

This doesn't even count the movies. So Worf's appearance is different, as is his appearance compared to the Klingons from the Trek movies.

In any case, none of them look like Kryten, so you are mistaken. The Klingons in STXII have clearly defined ridges. It was very easy to see in the movie.
The ridges changed over time, but that could be how Klingons naturally age, idk. But Worf still looked like a Klingon, from season to season. All of the Klingons from the 80s/90s have a distinct look. I can't think of a single Klingon from TNG/DS9/Voy that looks like a burned marshmallow the way the one from ID looks. Yes, Chang was bald, but he still looked like a Klingon. Not to be a contrarian, but the Klingon from ID just doesn't look like a Klingon to me.
DavidLeeRoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 12:58 AM   #19
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

IIRC, Christopher Plummer himself asked for his Klingon makeup to be 'reduced' a bit. You might almost think that Chang was a QuchHa'.

That being said, I think Chang AND the Klingon from STID look just as Klingon as any other one we've seen.
Old May 17 2013, 01:03 AM   #20
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

DavidLeeRoth wrote: View Post
The ridges changed over time, but that could be how Klingons naturally age, idk. But Worf still looked like a Klingon, from season to season. All of the Klingons from the 80s/90s have a distinct look. I can't think of a single Klingon from TNG/DS9/Voy that looks like a burned marshmallow the way the one from ID looks. Yes, Chang was bald, but he still looked like a Klingon. Not to be a contrarian, but the Klingon from ID just doesn't look like a Klingon to me.
Well, that's your opinion, and that's fine, but to me, they're all Klingons, and they all look like Klingons, and more importantly, they are all Klingons. Also, the picture from your first post, that's not the Klingon Uhura speaks to when she confronts them. When you see him, the forehead ridges are very obvious.

Which I do have to ask, if you can make allowances for age when gauging appearance, why can't you allow for environment, time, modification, or anything else for these particular Klingons? I mean, if a Klingon's ridges can change as they age, maybe when they're younger the ridges are more fine? Maybe less structured? Certainly that's plausible in this scenario as well.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
IIRC, Christopher Plummer himself asked for his Klingon makeup to be 'reduced' a bit. You might almost think that Chang was a QuchHa'.

That being said, I think Chang AND the Klingon from STID look just as Klingon as any other one we've seen.
Yep.
Old May 17 2013, 01:05 AM   #21
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

I like this post from another thread on this subject

Donald Draper wrote: View Post

Lets see different skin colors, clothing, hairstyles. Some with piercings and only a few with facial hair. I am not convinced they all are the same species or live on the same planet.

Old May 17 2013, 01:06 AM   #22
DavidLeeRoth
Lieutenant

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
This dude here doesn't look much like Worf either. Doesn't even have hair and don't get me started on them ridges. Klingon my ass

He could have been recovering from the augment virus--and he still looks like a Klingon.
Old May 17 2013, 01:08 AM   #23
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

So, basically we're back at "I like this so I'll make shit up to justify it. But I don't like that so I won't bother to make shit up for it".

Old May 17 2013, 01:10 AM   #24
J. Allen
Best Pony™

He could have been recovering from the augment virus--and he still looks like a Klingon.
I don't know, he kind of looks like Kryten to me. Look at his head, it even has the familiar squareness and smoother forehead Kryten has.
Old May 17 2013, 01:11 AM   #25
DavidLeeRoth
Lieutenant

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Well, that's your opinion, and that's fine, but to me, they're all Klingons, and they all look like Klingons, and more importantly, they are all Klingons. Also, the picture from your first post, that's not the Klingon Uhura speaks to when she confronts them. When you see him, the forehead ridges are very obvious.

Which I do have to ask, if you can make allowances for age when gauging appearance, why can't you allow for environment, time, modification, or anything else for these particular Klingons? I mean, if a Klingon's ridges can change as they age, maybe when they're younger the ridges are more fine? Maybe less structured? Certainly that's plausible in this scenario as well.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

Yep.
Fair enough. It's not that big a deal and not something that will keep me up at night.
Old May 17 2013, 01:13 AM   #26
DavidLeeRoth
Lieutenant

So, basically we're back at "I like this so I'll make shit up to justify it. But I don't like that so I won't bother to make shit up for it".
No, but Chang is a far more plausible looking Klingon, IMO.
Old May 17 2013, 01:17 AM   #27
DavidLeeRoth
Lieutenant

Lets see different skin colors, clothing, hairstyles. Some with piercings and only a few with facial hair. I am not convinced they all are the same species or live on the same planet.
Skin color and wrinkles are one thing, the shape and size of a cranium is something else.
Old May 17 2013, 01:18 AM   #28
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

Skin color and wrinkles are one thing, the shape and size of a cranium is something else.
So, all humans have the same shape and size of cranium?

Old May 17 2013, 01:20 AM   #29
DavidLeeRoth
Lieutenant

In the same ballpark, yes.

I wish that there were some better stills of Klingons from ID online to look at.
Old May 17 2013, 02:33 AM   #30
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The Klingons from Into Darkness look like Klingons to me.