Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old May 17 2013, 12:40 AM   #181
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Re: Finale discussion thread (spoilerifictitle insided) *SPOILERS WITH

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
StCoop wrote: View Post
Blimey, the paranoia round here!
In light of Whistleblower and his/her ilk, can you blame us?
Some random person on a blog is comparable to an official BBC source?

Old May 17 2013, 01:00 AM   #182
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
StCoop wrote: View Post
Blimey, the paranoia round here!

No...

The suggestion of "paranoia" was levied because of questioning if it was Official BBC, because the poster didn't think to check the bottom of the Web Page

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 03:23 AM   #183
The Wormhole
Admiral

This is the first time I heard of the site. I didn't know jackshit about it, and decided to ask about its authenticity due to the fact that a lot of phonies have been on the rise lately, like Whistleblower and the copycats he/she inspired.

Okay, so there's copyright info on the site proving it's a BBC site. Be honest, do you read the copyright info of every site you visit? I don't, in fact the idea of checking for copyright info didn't even occur to me.

Yes, maybe we are being a bit too paranoid here lately. With legitimate reason.
Old May 17 2013, 04:48 AM   #184
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post

No...

The suggestion of "paranoia" was levied because of questioning if it was Official BBC, because the poster didn't think to check the bottom of the Web Page
Yeah, I don't always scroll down, so sue me!

But, no, nothing wrong at all enquiring about the authenticity.

ETA: What Wormhole said!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 05:08 PM   #185
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

I am just throwing this out there for all of you to shoot down, but what if the name of the doctor was revealed, and it was Walter Simeon? We know the human Simeon died, but that the GI that had been a reflection of him then took his form and persisted. We also know that somewhere (was it the Cartmel plan?) the Doctor is said to have originated as a 19th century human scientist that developed time travel and made his way to Gallifrey to become The Other. Could Simeon/GI be that guy? Or do you think it just a coincidence that Richard Grant played the Shalka Doctor?

I sorta think Hurt is a reconstruction of the part intended for Eccleston, and the real revelation is about the relation between the GI and the Doctor.
aridas sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 05:12 PM   #186
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

We also know that somewhere (was it the Cartmel plan?) the Doctor is said to have originated as a 19th century human scientist that developed time travel and made his way to Gallifrey to become The Other
It's a shit idea which is the best reason for it not to be true.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 05:41 PM   #187
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

Even if it is shit, isn't the notion that he is part human a recurrent idea? Help me here... I was a Tom Baker fan and only picked all this up again recently. I have some catching up to do.
aridas sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 06:47 PM   #188
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

aridas sofia wrote: View Post
Even if it is shit, isn't the notion that he is part human a recurrent idea? Help me here... I was a Tom Baker fan and only picked all this up again recently. I have some catching up to do.
The idea* appears in the TV movie and is never mentioned again as far as I'm aware - it's certainly not a recurrent idea.

* and to be fair as originally written, he might have been a future human.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 09:58 PM   #189
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

We also know that somewhere (was it the Cartmel plan?) the Doctor is said to have originated as a 19th century human scientist that developed time travel and made his way to Gallifrey to become The Other.
Nope, this is from the original novel, Human Nature that later became a Tennant story. Unlike that's Journal of Impossible Things, this is the plot of the stories that the teacher John Smith writes in the novel instead.

What's most interesting is that in his notes (that used to be online before the BBC took down their eBooks), Paul Cornell says that these sections were written by a friend of his... Steven Moffat.

Whether this will actually affect anything in the present day of the show, I doubt it, but it WAS Moffat's idea.
Old May 20 2013, 02:37 AM   #190
The Wormhole
Admiral

I sorta think Hurt is a reconstruction of the part intended for Eccleston
Indeed, a popular theory since the rumours of John Hurt's role first leaked is that he'd be filling the role Eccleston would have served in the 50th, but I don't know. Given how things played out, I'm of the opinion that Hurt would have been this mysterious forgotten Doctor anyway, and that Moffat's plan would have simply featured Smith teaming up with Hurt plus Eccleston and Tennant. But that's just speculation on my part.

isn't the notion that he is part human a recurrent idea?
The Eighth Doctor infamously refers to himself as half human in the TV movie, though that has been largely ignored in the new series. The only times it does get acknowledged is when they want to make a joke ("Are you human?" "Is that optional?" "It is for me.")
Old May 20 2013, 05:01 AM   #191
bryce
Rear Admiral

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce

I keep hearing about a scene that was in the UK airing, but not the US airing (and what about on the DVD version?)

Anybody know anything about that?

Also, as I pointed out in another thread, is Hurt is a missing regeneration, then Doctor #11 is actually the the next-to-the-last life the Doctor has - and the Doctor only has one regeneration left!

And also, if the Valyard is between his 12th and final regeneration...

(And 11 said that Hurt's character was "me" but "not the Doctor" - contradicting what the text on the screen said...which means the Eccleston is *still* the "9th Doctor", Tennant still the 10th, and Smith still the 11th Doctors...)
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 05:12 AM   #192
bryce
Rear Admiral

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce

The Eighth Doctor infamously refers to himself as half human in the TV movie, though that has been largely ignored in the new series. The only times it does get acknowledged is when they want to make a joke ("Are you human?" "Is that optional?" "It is for me.")

Since the Timelords have the technology to make a Timelord into a human...couldn't they make a human into a Timelord? (In fact, on fan notion was that Ace eventually went to the Timelord academy, and because a Timelord - though that fanwanky idea was contradicted by dialog in an episode of The Sarah Jane Adventures...)

It's possible that the Doctor's biological mother *was* human...at one time. Or, the Doctor could have a a human mother, and yet still be 100% biologically Timelord.

I know that the show will probably just ignore that line in the TV movie, and never explain it (then again, some day a new producer could come along who wants to explore it)...but the line *was* said, and in my own personal canon, that's how I explain it.

Plus it's Doctor who, being "part human" and "half human" can mean lots of different things. (Maybe somehow during the regeneration that Doctor was contaminated with Grace's DNA, and she's his "mother", lol. Or maybe he was half-human for *one* regeneration - he also said in the movie that he could change species via regeneration!!)
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 09:39 AM   #193
Classic Fan
Rear Admiral

View Classic Fan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Classic Fan

Welcome back Moffat.

Seriously thrilling stuff.

This will be known as the day Doctor Who went all Forest Gump.

The opening few minutes will stay with me forever, just so well done and edited, and coloured etc all perfectly. Just loved it.

Love how the body doubles ran past Clara, looking so identical and even having the same feel.

And we all knew the doctor could hear River all along didnt we.

Honestly, great finale.

Interesting to see where the docors forgotten self story goes for the 50th.
"Course your not,your not scared of anything. Box falls out the sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard. Look at you, just sittin' there,you know what i think? Must be helluva scary crack in your wall" - The Doctor
Classic Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 02:19 PM   #194
The Wormhole
Admiral

bryce wrote: View Post

Since the Timelords have the technology to make a Timelord into a human...couldn't they make a human into a Timelord? (In fact, on fan notion was that Ace eventually went to the Timelord academy, and because a Timelord - though that fanwanky idea was contradicted by dialog in an episode of The Sarah Jane Adventures...)

It's possible that the Doctor's biological mother *was* human...at one time. Or, the Doctor could have a a human mother, and yet still be 100% biologically Timelord.

I know that the show will probably just ignore that line in the TV movie, and never explain it (then again, some day a new producer could come along who wants to explore it)...but the line *was* said, and in my own personal canon, that's how I explain it.

Plus it's Doctor who, being "part human" and "half human" can mean lots of different things. (Maybe somehow during the regeneration that Doctor was contaminated with Grace's DNA, and she's his "mother", lol. Or maybe he was half-human for *one* regeneration - he also said in the movie that he could change species via regeneration!!)
Well, we could sit around thinking up various explanations all day. In the end, the show has chosen to ignore it, and that's all that matters.

Although an early draft of the script for The End of Time did have this rather amusing joke kind of explaining it:

Cactus Lady: "So, Mr. Saxon isn't human?"
Doctor: "No."
Cactus Lady: "And you're not human either?"
Doctor: "No. Well, I was, briefly. New Year's Eve 1999. But I got over it, like the flu."
Old May 20 2013, 06:14 PM   #195
Captain_Amasov
Captain

bryce wrote: View Post

Well, we could sit around thinking up various explanations all day. In the end, the show has chosen to ignore it, and that's all that matters.

Although an early draft of the script for The End of Time did have this rather amusing joke kind of explaining it:

Cactus Lady: "So, Mr. Saxon isn't human?"
Doctor: "No."
Cactus Lady: "And you're not human either?"
Doctor: "No. Well, I was, briefly. New Year's Eve 1999. But I got over it, like the flu."
I always thought of it as a "malfunction" of the regeneration process, due to the anaesthetic he was given. Time Lords have been said to be able to change species, so him being half human was an involuntary occurrence in this instance.
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote