RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,707
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 870
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 139 19.39%
A 157 21.90%
A- 98 13.67%
B+ 77 10.74%
B 58 8.09%
B- 27 3.77%
C+ 38 5.30%
C 37 5.16%
C- 23 3.21%
D+ 11 1.53%
D 13 1.81%
D- 6 0.84%
F 33 4.60%
Voters: 717. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 16 2013, 10:55 PM   #2401
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

CoveTom wrote: View Post
^ While valid examples, were any of those three examples ones that could have been used en masse to prevent people from dying? It seems to me they were rather specialized cases.
In The Neutral Zone, three people with three different ailments who all died three hundred years prior were all brought back to life with seemingly no issues.
Old May 16 2013, 10:56 PM   #2402
BillJ
Admiral

Richard III wrote: View Post
A repost to pick the collective forum brain...

Richard III wrote: View Post
Question - when they arrive at Kronos we can see what appears to be an exploded moon in close proximity. Is this a result of:

a) Nero's attack against the Klingons in ST09;

b) Overmining, caused by fear in the wake of Vulcan's destruction, causing Praxis' environment disaster to come 30 years early;

c) Canon cock ups by the writers causing Praxis' environment disaster to come 30 years early.
All three could be contributing factors.
Old May 16 2013, 10:58 PM   #2403
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

just saw the movie. it was awesome. don't care about the fact that Khan was white. Benedict Cumberbatch did an awesome job. will see this movie a couple more times.
mattman8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 10:58 PM   #2404
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

It's one of those things that this "reboot" has done well, there is a lot of interesting stuff like that in it which gets us thinking about possibilities.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 10:59 PM   #2405
ConRefit79
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
^ While valid examples, were any of those three examples ones that could have been used en masse to prevent people from dying? It seems to me they were rather specialized cases.
In The Neutral Zone, three people with three different ailments who all died three hundred years prior were all brought back to life with seemingly no issues.
But they were frozen at death. And all three had curable issues in the 24 century.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 11:01 PM   #2406
Lord Garth, FOI
Lieutenant Commander

Very true
Magic blood didn't bug me at all I actually thought it gave MCcoy a nice moment to shine
Lord Garth, FOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 11:01 PM   #2407
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

hamudm wrote: View Post
I said I'd leave, but I couldn't resist.
Say no more.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 11:01 PM   #2408
hamudm
Rear Admiral

View hamudm's Twitter Profile

I'll just pick one:

hamudm wrote: View Post
4. Oh yeah, we managed to cure death... I'm surprised they weren't throwing Khan a frikin parade at the end!
See The Changeling (TOS), The Neutral Zone (TNG) and Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.
I can speak to the TNG-Neutral Zone example. I assume those people were cured of diseases for which cures were now found. So you take them out of cryosleep and it's a simple fix.

Search for Spock: Genesis was not a plot device, it was a plot point central to both this and TWOK. Secondly, it's not a magical death cure, but requires complete obliteration of life on a planet to create new life.

Changeling: haven't seen it in a LOOONG time so I can't speak to it.

Regardless, none of these instances are magically convenient plot device cures. The way Khan's blood is positioned (with no resolution might I add), it's just a magic cure.
Old May 16 2013, 11:03 PM   #2409
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Getting ready to go see it now. Noticed Rotten Tomatoes is up to 88% with almost 170 reviews. Quite a triumph on the heels of ST09. I plan on going into the movie to enjoy it, If something hits me over the head as illogical I'll mention it but I'm not going to dissect every scene of it as i watch it. If it flows, has pace, and is internally consistent I'll probably like it a lot.

RAMA
Old May 16 2013, 11:04 PM   #2410
BillJ
Admiral

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
But they were frozen at death. And all three had curable issues in the 24 century.
But they were DEAD. If they can cure death in TNG without everyone's panties getting in a bunch then they should be able to cure death in a Trek movie without everyone's panties getting in a bunch.
Old May 16 2013, 11:08 PM   #2411
ConRefit79
Captain

But they were DEAD. If they can cure death in TNG without everyone's panties getting in a bunch then they should be able to cure death in a Trek movie without everyone's panties getting in a bunch.
They most likely could have been resuscitated in their time. But what would be the point then if technology of their time could not repair the damage.
Old May 16 2013, 11:13 PM   #2412
BillJ
Admiral

They most likely could have been resuscitated in their time. But what would be the point then if technology of their time could not repair the damage.
They were dead...

The Neutral Zone wrote:
CRUSHER: Right now, they are all sleeping. Each of them needed minor medical attention. Minor now, but then their conditions were obviously terminal. One had a heart problem, another had an advanced case of emphysema with extensive liver damage. You know the most surprising thing of all, is that each of them had been frozen after they died.
I hate when people try to tap dance to explain why something's okay in something they like but it's a crime against humanity if it's in something they don't like (or refuse to see).
Old May 16 2013, 11:17 PM   #2413
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

I hate when people try to tap dance to explain why something's okay in something they like but it's a crime against humanity if it's in something they don't like (or refuse to see).
Which is, of course, the point of bringing up how many plot holes, how much bad story logic and ridiculous "science" have always been a part of Star Trek.

People make the mistake of thinking that "just because they did it wrong before is no excuse" is a valid rebuttal. However, the saying that "no text can stand up to a hostile reading" is absolutely so - if one is willing to forgive or excuse a particular flaw in something that one likes then one has no business treating that same kind of thing as some sort of unforgivable reason to condemn something that one dislikes.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 11:20 PM   #2414
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

Love the film seen it twice once on IMAX 3D that was outstanding and once in 2D still very good but not loud enough didn't get the impact of the sound. I noticed that in IMAX 3D when we see the attack on London the Explosion sounded Incredible. Love the new warp effect and I love the start of the film as well great to see the natives drawing enterprise in the ground then it appears flying in space amazing piece of writing !!! Going to see it again tommorow !!
Old May 16 2013, 11:20 PM   #2415
ConRefit79
Captain

Whatever dude. I said nothing about Khans blood. The whole point of Cryonics is to slow decay of the body after death in hopes you can cure the disease or repair the damage in the future.