Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.20%
A 161 21.47%
A- 101 13.47%
B+ 83 11.07%
B 59 7.87%
B- 27 3.60%
C+ 40 5.33%
C 38 5.07%
C- 25 3.33%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.73%
D- 10 1.33%
F 38 5.07%
Voters: 750. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 16 2013, 09:36 PM   #2371
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post
Titus Andronicus wrote: View Post

Heh sounds about right! Although I wouldn't be surprised if some of the officers were temporarily re-assigned, just to make sure they're helping out and....staying out of trouble.
And Chekov was assigned to the Reliant.

By the way, did Khan see Chekov in this movie?
I don't think he did. By the time Khan came along, Chekov was already in engineering.
Hmm, which was the theory proposed for Space Seed that when Khan was roaming the ship he bumped into Chekov below decks.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 09:45 PM   #2372
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Franklin wrote: View Post
Titus Andronicus wrote: View Post

Heh sounds about right! Although I wouldn't be surprised if some of the officers were temporarily re-assigned, just to make sure they're helping out and....staying out of trouble.
And Chekov was assigned to the Reliant.

By the way, did Khan see Chekov in this movie?
I don't think he did. By the time Khan came along, Chekov was already in engineering.
So, if Cumberbatch comes back, the first person he sees should be Chekov. He'll say, "You look familiar. I never forget a face. Mr. Chekov, isn't it?"

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Is it just me or does Quinto seem to be getting a little doughy?
It's not just you.
Maybe with all that's been going on in his life, Spock is hitting the plomeek soup a little too hard.

That reminds me, I heard Pine say on Letterman that he put on twenty pounds to play Kirk after running into Abrams at a party a few months before shooting. Abrams told by him that he needed to bulk up and get ready.
He had lost it all by his appearance on Letterman. He's thin as a rail, and topped it off by wearing a promintently pinstriped suit.

Last edited by Franklin; May 16 2013 at 10:03 PM.
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 09:53 PM   #2373
gornsky
Lieutenant Junior Grade

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
I'm praising it - success is its own defense.

Of course, having seen it I'm in a position to have an informed opinion.
I know the whole story. Its all over this thread. I don't have to go see it to know I don't like the story.
I'm sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, your decision not to see the movie now it has reached your area renders your impressions about whether aspects of the movie work on not completely irrelevant.

You have suppositions, inferences, third-hand impressions. I'm not trying to be rude. I speak from experience. There were many many things I was concerned about before I saw the movie -- Spock and Uhura's characters, Kirk's character, the downgrading of McCoy, the elevation of action over character, Abrams "Starwarsification" of the franchise, the loss of that "Trek" feeling. Now, I'm eating hat.

You may or may not like it. There are some legitimate criticisms to be made. Some things work better than others. Some aspects are brilliant. Others... not so much. But you're not even giving yourself a chance. What if you eventually watch it from the library on your telly and find there are some aspects you enjoy. You'll have robbed yourself of the change to see it on the big screen with a crowd all cheering, laughing, groaning, sniffling. You're missing the whole experience.

But, of course it's up to you.
gornsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 09:54 PM   #2374
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

For some reason, if Khan returns and runs into Chekov, I could see the following exchange:

Chekov: "It's.....KHAN!"
Khan: "Just who the hell are you?"
Old May 16 2013, 10:01 PM   #2375
ConRefit79
Captain

gornsky wrote: View Post
I'm praising it - success is its own defense.

Of course, having seen it I'm in a position to have an informed opinion.
I know the whole story. Its all over this thread. I don't have to go see it to know I don't like the story.
I'm sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, your decision not to see the movie now it has reached your area renders your impressions about whether aspects of the movie work on not completely irrelevant.

You have suppositions, inferences, third-hand impressions. I'm not trying to be rude. I speak from experience. There were many many things I was concerned about before I saw the movie -- Spock and Uhura's characters, Kirk's character, the downgrading of McCoy, the elevation of action over character, Abrams "Starwarsification" of the franchise, the loss of that "Trek" feeling. Now, I'm eating hat.

You may or may not like it. There are some legitimate criticisms to be made. Some things work better than others. Some aspects are brilliant. Others... not so much. But you're not even giving yourself a chance. What if you eventually watch it from the library on your telly and find there are some aspects you enjoy. You'll have robbed yourself of the change to see it on the big screen with a crowd all cheering, laughing, groaning, sniffling. You're missing the whole experience.

But, of course it's up to you.
Read further back and see what triggered that entire exchange. I posted a quote I found humorous which makes fun of the film. And one of the supporters pounced.

As for seeing the film, I have enough info to know I will not like it. I'll rip it apart after I see the library's Blu-Ray copy in 6 months.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 10:04 PM   #2376
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Read further back and see what triggered that entire exchange. I posted a quote I found humorous which makes fun of the film. And one of the supporters pounced.

As for seeing the film, I have enough info to know I will not like it. I'll rip it apart after I see the library's Blu-Ray copy in 6 months.
See, I don't get this. You already "know" you're going to hate the movie, and yet in six months, when the movie comes out on disc, you're going to "rip it apart." It's like all you seek to do is tear down what someone else created, and you don't even know what they've created, because you already "know" that you won't like it. I mean, it's your money to waste, but it just doesn't make any sense. How can you hate something you've never seen, and look forward to hating it once you see it?
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 10:05 PM   #2377
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

And if you do like it, you'll never admit it in a million years. You've decided it's a bad movie no matter what and won't be wrong.
Old May 16 2013, 10:07 PM   #2378
ConRefit79
Captain

See, I don't get this. You already "know" you're going to hate the movie, and yet in six months, when the movie comes out on disc, you're going to "rip it apart." It's like all you seek to do is tear down what someone else created, and you don't even know what they've created, because you already "know" that you won't like it. I mean, it's your money to waste, but it just doesn't make any sense. How can you hate something you've never seen, and look forward to hating it once you see it?
Apparently I'm not qualified to comment on it if I don't see it. Even though from what I've read, I don't like the story. It's the story that counts. All the acting and FX in the world cannot save the story for me. And there will be no money involved, cause I'm borrowing it.
Old May 16 2013, 10:08 PM   #2379
gornsky
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Boy, I didn't think it possible for J.J. Abrams to simultaneously piss, shit and vomit on Roddenberry's tombstone or whatever it is he has. I'm not kidding.

Oh, wait... Yes, I am kidding!
Oh man, you had me going there for a sec! I was like.... whaaaaaa?
gornsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 10:08 PM   #2380
Opus
Commodore

I'll rip it apart after I see the library's Blu-Ray copy in 6 months.
I guess some people CAN wait to hate this movie.

I stand corrected.
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 10:08 PM   #2381
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

I read all the spoilers, thought it was going to be a diasaster and went in expecting the worst but loved it.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 10:09 PM   #2382
ConRefit79
Captain

And if you do like it, you'll never admit it in a million years. You've decided it's a bad movie no matter what and won't be wrong.
If I end up liking it, I'll be man enough to admit it.
Old May 16 2013, 10:10 PM   #2383
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Apparently I'm not qualified to comment on it if I don't see it.
That makes sense.

Even though from what I've read, I don't like the story. It's the story that counts. All the acting and FX in the world cannot save the story for me. And no money involved, cause I'm borrowing it.
Stories don't exist in a vacuum. A story treatment alone doesn't make allowances for execution, direction, production value, acting sequences, or anything else. It's like saying that you don't like sex, and will never like sex because the description doesn't seem appealing, even though you've never had it.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 10:11 PM   #2384
Chu'lak
Lieutenant

I sobbed folks. I sobbed embarrassingly hard.... I did that loud snorting intake of breath where snot gurgles back into your throat....I walked out of the theater shaking.

Been out for 1.5 hours.

WIll collect my thoughts and post more.
Chu'lak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 10:15 PM   #2385
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Apparently I'm not qualified to comment on it if I don't see it.
"Qualified" is a nebulous word.

What I posted is that unless you've seen the movie your opinion of it as a movie is uninformed. You cannot comment in a knowledgeable matter on an experience which you have not had, and therefore there's no reason to give your opinion the same weight one would the opinion of someone who has seen the film.

Even though from what I've read, I don't like the story. It's the story that counts.
No, it is not. Everything "counts," and you still don't demonstrate an awareness of the differences between story and plot.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote