Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.23%
A 161 21.50%
A- 101 13.48%
B+ 83 11.08%
B 59 7.88%
B- 27 3.60%
C+ 40 5.34%
C 38 5.07%
C- 25 3.34%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.74%
D- 10 1.34%
F 37 4.94%
Voters: 749. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 16 2013, 08:58 PM   #2356
Irishman
Fleet Captain

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

hamudm wrote: View Post
M'Sharak wrote: View Post
mos6507 wrote: View Post
I'd hope that his was the more serious post (TUC was a disappointment, IMO) and that the "is EVERYONE ON DRUGS?!" post was the merely sarcastic one, given with tongue firmly in cheek.
OK, now I think that I'M the one trapped in an alternate universe! What kind of topsy turvy world has STID>ST:TUC????

I'm just going to leave now.

EDIT: People are creaming their pants over this movie for the same reasons that people heaved dung at Nemesis... this whole thing really has me baffled. I'm questioning my own sanity right now... am I even awake?
Star Trek: Nemesis was a shit film.
Star Trek Into Darkness was not a shit film.

Any questions?
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 08:59 PM   #2357
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Curiosity: they never did explain why the Enterprise needed to hide in the ocean on Niburu. It would've been nice to have a reason for hiding a starship there. I know the real world reason was to give it a grand reveal to open the film, but an in-universe reason would've been nice.
Eh, it was basically there to set up a cool scene which I have no problem with. Though if it was a shitty scene then I'd probably have actually cared about this point if the scene was shit. I think that's a general rule for Trek movies from me.

Nit 3: That is one ugly impulse deck they put on the Enterprise at the end of the film.
Didn't see this, will have to look out for it next time.

Observation 1: While I know the intent was for Cumberbatch to be Khan, I think they left themselves some wiggle room. If they have a Khan story they could bring in a new actor to play him and pass off Harrison as another augment who took the title.
I can't see them doing this, it would be needlessly complicated and they've shied away from complicating and confusing the audience so far.

Observation 2: The flipped TWOK death scene and Khan's magic blood didn't play nearly as badly as I anticipated. I actually thought they worked quite well.
I think that goes for both movies really, reading the spoilers for this one I feared it was going to turn out to be complete pap but it works. Same with 09, on paper it just seems like it could be a complete mess. I guess thats what happens when you have a talented director and good budget...

Star Trek: Nemesis was a shit film.
Star Trek Into Darkness was not a shit film.
I think it shows the failings of Nemesis considering the energy that 09 and ID had, while having a lot of similar elements. I mean compare the scene with Data floating calmly to the other ship compared to the intense and well done scene in this movie. Compare Hardy to Cumberbatch, though I feel you can put a lot of blame onto the studios for Nemesis for just assuming Trek will get you some nice profit and just handing it to some no mark with no experience.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 09:03 PM   #2358
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Phily B wrote: View Post

Observation 1: While I know the intent was for Cumberbatch to be Khan, I think they left themselves some wiggle room. If they have a Khan story they could bring in a new actor to play him and pass off Harrison as another augment who took the title.
I can't see them doing this, it would be needlessly complicated and they've shied away from complicating and confusing the audience so far.
I agree. But if they decide to do another Khan movie and run into issues with either scheduling or money or Cumberbatch simply not wanting to do another one, I think they've given themselves an out.
Old May 16 2013, 09:04 PM   #2359
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Just noting I have -not- read all 100 pages of this thread, so I may touch upon things already mentioned. And just in case anyone's here who hasn't seen it(though you're doing it to yourself) this post contains SPOILERS. So, all that said... here's my thoughts:

I loved the opening bit. Sure, there have been any number of similar episodes to the concept of saving a primitive race, but this was just a few minute teaser and not a whole episode and it explores the characters reactions to the Prime Direction dilemma nicely.

Which is to say... screw it. As Tom Paris sussinctly put it... "They're all going to die, anything's got to be better than that." So it comes as no surprise that the young and brash NuKirk goes along with interfering to keep the planet from going boom. Heck, even Spock logics himself into it, which I liked. Though it was rather artificial drama, of wondering "oh no Spock's gonna die!" Though even Scotty points out the bloody obvious... why the hell do you have the ship on the bottom of the ocean?! The answer being because the ship rising out of it makes for a cool shot.

So... we see something new. Consequences for breaking the Prime Directive. Even Spock narcs Kirk out. Though seriously... getting demoted back to the Academy? Is there not ANYTHING between Cadet and Captain? Though Pike really starts to worm his way into the absent father figure for Kirk, by saving his career and making him First Officer. Though that doesn't last since Harrison kills him too. Really to make the last movie less stupid they should've made Kirk Pike's first officer then, then have him inherit the captain's role in this movie. Still at least they try to retcon that a bit.

So Kirk's give his command back by yet another corrupt Starfleet Admiral... the horse is dead guys! Nice action sequences on the Klingon planet and I like that Scotty got a bigger role in this one than last time. Though Kirk's comment telling Chekov to put on the red shirt and the nameless extras doomed to death to take them all was funny. Spock and Uhura's argument was good stuff too.

So Harrison shows how badass he is then just surrenders, but quickly starts to manipulate Kirk simply by telling the truth. I do have to say though the Khan reveal was a surprise to me. I guess Abrams did a good job with keeping everyone guessing on this one. Never quite got why the other Eugenics are in the torpedoes but whatever. Even after the reveal you're kept guessing if he's really gonna betray the good guys or is something of an anti-hero.

By the way... just have to say it... I hate the concept of the USS Vengeance. Why don't we just call it the USS Evil Overlord with pictures of dead kittens painted on the hull? Still Harrison's a jerk, though his daughter's cute even if she's prone to just randomly take her clothes off for no reason. Kinda surprised there was nothing more between her and Kirk, though I guess she's kinda joined the main cast now. Gotta have a love interest for Kirk to get into trouble with next movie, right?

Spock Prime's appearance was a nice easter egg without distracting from the main story. So yeah you're pretty much rooting for Khan to just kill Marcus. Though I liked how Kirk made the first move against Khan. I wish they'd made it more ambiguous if Khan was going to betray them or not before that.

Now the ending.... Kirk sacrificing himself to save the ship. That was good stuff and the reversal of every thing was just plain eerie and powerful. I made the comment that I just can't see Pine pulling off a Khan scream once the rumor he was the villain started floating around.... well dang if Qunito can. That one gave me chills.

Beyond that... well the ending's cliche as all hell and really just wraps up WAY too quick. First, I was disappointed as all heck that "oh superhuman techobabble dna cures radiation!" that just felt like a cop out to me and really cheapened the sacrifice. Killing Kirk off, well that would've made a statement and taken a risk. Not like you can't recon that next movie with alternate timelines and realities being what they are in Trek. The Spock/Khan fight made sense. Vulcan strength vs super human. Though if they can beam down people one at a time, I dunno why they just weren't sending every redshirt they could one at a time. Still Uhura shooting Khan is a nice touch.

Overall... as I said, the ending really disappointed me. An epic sacrifice just cheapened by the reset button. Still, there was more good than bad in this one, so despite not liking the 2009 movie much, I'll give this one a B+. I really need to watch it again, because I'm sure I didn't catch all the easter eggs.
Old May 16 2013, 09:04 PM   #2360
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 09:06 PM   #2361
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I agree. But if they decide to do another Khan movie and run into issues with either scheduling or money or Cumberbatch simply not wanting to do another one, I think they've given themselves an out.
Or, they could resort to just shooting all of his scenes separately at a time of his convenience and then having him and Pine just talk to one another on the Enterprise viewer.

Maybe he could capture Chekov or something.
Old May 16 2013, 09:20 PM   #2362
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post

But hey, I was very impressed by Chris Pine. He upped his game, and I really empathized with Kirk thoughout the movie.
Old May 16 2013, 09:21 PM   #2363
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, but I think the guy who did this image - not me, BTW, I should have made that clear - did pick one of Pine's weaker scenes here.
Old May 16 2013, 09:23 PM   #2364
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

I admit, I laughed. But Pine did impress me more as the movie went on.

All of the characters had their little moment of awesome, and it was nice to see them all get some good screen time.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 09:24 PM   #2365
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

There's a scene toward the end of the movie where Pine's in the command chair, and he looks up at Spock, and I swear for just a moment, Pine is channeling Shatner's Kirk. It was a great moment, and I'll have to check it out when the DVD is released, which isn't soon enough.

"People are always looking for the single magic bullet that will totally change everything. There is no single magic bullet." - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 09:26 PM   #2366
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Is it just me or does Quinto seem to be getting a little doughy?
Old May 16 2013, 09:26 PM   #2367
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Did they ever finish writing the script for Into Darkness?

(after a delay)
Old May 16 2013, 09:26 PM   #2368
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Titus Andronicus wrote: View Post

Good question. Maybe we'll find out in the comics or in a novel someday.
Refresher courses on the Prime Directive and writing reports...
Heh sounds about right! Although I wouldn't be surprised if some of the officers were temporarily re-assigned, just to make sure they're helping out and....staying out of trouble.
And Chekov was assigned to the Reliant.

By the way, did Khan see Chekov in this movie?
Old May 16 2013, 09:30 PM   #2369
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Franklin wrote: View Post

Refresher courses on the Prime Directive and writing reports...
Heh sounds about right! Although I wouldn't be surprised if some of the officers were temporarily re-assigned, just to make sure they're helping out and....staying out of trouble.
And Chekov was assigned to the Reliant.

By the way, did Khan see Chekov in this movie?
I don't think he did. By the time Khan came along, Chekov was already in engineering.

"People are always looking for the single magic bullet that will totally change everything. There is no single magic bullet." - Temple Grandin
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brony Kingdom
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 09:35 PM   #2370
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Is it just me or does Quinto seem to be getting a little doughy?
It's not just you.