A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 141 19.11%
A 160 21.68%
A- 99 13.41%
B+ 82 11.11%
B 58 7.86%
B- 27 3.66%
C+ 40 5.42%
C 38 5.15%
C- 24 3.25%
D+ 11 1.49%
D 13 1.76%
D- 10 1.36%
F 35 4.74%
Voters: 738. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 16 2013, 08:10 PM   #2341
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

A critically acclaimed movie that is probably going to be a Top 10 movie of the year in terms of ticket sales with an exceptional cast and top of the line production values. There's no way Gene Roddenberry wouldn't be gladly rolling in a pile of cash right now.

Star Trek can't be about anyone's personal vision except the person who is sitting in the director's chair. If you want to protest the film, dont watch it at the theater 14 times to nitpick it.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 08:13 PM   #2342
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Titus Andronicus wrote: View Post
I think the ending is supposed to be a year from Pike's death, if memory serves.
That's what I thought he was saying, too.

Dammit, I wish I could pop in a DVD and confirm it!
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 08:19 PM   #2343
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

That is what Kirk says. The ceremony at the end is to commemorate "those who lost their lives a year ago."
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 08:20 PM   #2344
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

trevanian wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Richard III wrote: View Post

But luckily I have you to explain it all to me, gornsky.

Pray tell, oh Prince of Doucheness, what nuggets of wisdom you have to bequeath the rest of us mere mortals.
Infraction for flaming. Comments to PM. Let's leave the personal remarks at the door, please.
Does this mean GORNSKY shouldn't have to elaborate on his evaluation of the other guy's moviegoing skills?

Y'know, to prove it is somehow in accordance with all those, 'it's about the movie not the poster' posting guidelines.
Emphasis mine.

You know better, trevanian. Pull a stunt like this again and it'll be a warning.
Old May 16 2013, 08:22 PM   #2345
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
That is what Kirk says. The ceremony at the end is to commemorate "those who lost their lives a year ago."
Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification.
Old May 16 2013, 08:25 PM   #2346
trevanian
Rear Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Lord Garth, FOI wrote: View Post
Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
You're grossly exaggerting her damage. One portion of the aft starboard quarter of the saucer was opened up, one breach to the starboard side of engineering, the outer casing of the starboard nacelle, parts of the casing of the port, damage to the impulse deck and a misalignment of the warp core.

The hull breaches were only so deep, and the critical components of her were intact throughout. The black hole in the last film caused shipwide stress fractures and the loss of all 6 dilithium chambers, not to mention nearly burning the nacelles out.

As we see at the end of the movie, they've only had to work maybe a month, two at most, to repair her and even fully replace the impulse drive. Obviously they not only work fast, but can patch up that kind of damage with little effort.

Losing an entire nacelle, half the saucer, maybe the deflector assembly or a massive burnout of the entire warp drive might prompt another think about reactivating her, but apparently her repair was a breeze for them.

And the line about "nearly a year ago" is Kirk referencing him taking command of her for the first time, the epilouge in the hospital is two weeks later, the start of the 5 year mission only a month or two.
No the structural damage to her bones is actually in reality faaar worse. The amount of torque on her in upper atmosphere with no power is bad brother
And how am I exaggerating the entire front third of the primary hull on fire and twisting as she fell into The atmosphere.fire damage is a bitch
So you are saying they fixed all that in more in a couple months? Ha ha ha
The ship, while falling through the atmosphere, managed to right herself with her thrusters. That is an ENORMOUS amount of lift and strain on the hull, and yet it survived. So I doubt the damage was as bad as it seemed.
'Survived' and remaining spaceworthy are probably worlds apart. USS LIBERTY, a LIBERTY class boat used for intelligence gathering in the 60s, took a torpedo hit after being strafed and napalmed by the Israelis and somehow stayed afloat, but it was sold for scrap.

The very strain on the hull you mention would presumably impose greater structural damage than had come from the attack. Unless the hull is made from adobe (see old SNL car commercial to get the full joke there) or is a material that you can just heat to reshape, it certainly sounds like very serious problems.

Then again, they can always use the 'this is x-years from now, it'll be different then' defense. It sure got trotted out enough for the built-on-Earth-so-you-can-calibrate-warpengines-in-a-gravity-well horseshit.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 08:34 PM   #2347
J. Allen
Best Pony™

trevanian wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Lord Garth, FOI wrote: View Post

No the structural damage to her bones is actually in reality faaar worse. The amount of torque on her in upper atmosphere with no power is bad brother
And how am I exaggerating the entire front third of the primary hull on fire and twisting as she fell into The atmosphere.fire damage is a bitch
So you are saying they fixed all that in more in a couple months? Ha ha ha
The ship, while falling through the atmosphere, managed to right herself with her thrusters. That is an ENORMOUS amount of lift and strain on the hull, and yet it survived. So I doubt the damage was as bad as it seemed.
'Survived' and remaining spaceworthy are probably worlds apart. USS LIBERTY, a LIBERTY class boat used for intelligence gathering in the 60s, took a torpedo hit after being strafed and napalmed by the Israelis and somehow stayed afloat, but it was sold for scrap.

The very strain on the hull you mention would presumably impose greater structural damage than had come from the attack. Unless the hull is made from adobe (see old SNL car commercial to get the full joke there) or is a material that you can just heat to reshape, it certainly sounds like very serious problems.

Then again, they can always use the 'this is x-years from now, it'll be different then' defense. It sure got trotted out enough for the built-on-Earth-so-you-can-calibrate-warpengines-in-a-gravity-well horseshit.
In a world where they can deconstruct people on the quantum level and reassemble them, intact and functioning normally, a great distance away, I'm not really going to question their ability to build and repair their faster-than-light starships.
Old May 16 2013, 08:41 PM   #2348
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Boy, I didn't think it possible for J.J. Abrams to simultaneously piss, shit and vomit on Roddenberry's tombstone or whatever it is he has. I'm not kidding.

Oh, wait... Yes, I am kidding!

The movie was nothing short of spectacular from beginning to end and I can't wait to see it again tonight with the wife!

I do have a few nits, a curiosity and a couple of observations.

Curiosity: they never did explain why the Enterprise needed to hide in the ocean on Niburu. It would've been nice to have a reason for hiding a starship there. I know the real world reason was to give it a grand reveal to open the film, but an in-universe reason would've been nice.

Nit 1: They should've left it vague on how long Khan had actually been awake. Seems like he accomplished an awful lot in a short period of time. Especially the Vengeance, considering it took at least three years to build the Enterprise.

Nit 2: Khan seems to like to crush skulls as his finishing move. He kept trying to crush Spock's when it seems he should've simply ripped his heart out.

Nit 3: That is one ugly impulse deck they put on the Enterprise at the end of the film.

Observation 1: While I know the intent was for Cumberbatch to be Khan, I think they left themselves some wiggle room. If they have a Khan story they could bring in a new actor to play him and pass off Harrison as another augment who took the title.

Observation 2: The flipped TWOK death scene and Khan's magic blood didn't play nearly as badly as I anticipated. I actually thought they worked quite well.
Old May 16 2013, 08:43 PM   #2349
Franklin
Rear Admiral

I wonder what they all did during the year the Enterprise was being rebuilt? (I know it won't say in the movie, but I do wonder.)
Old May 16 2013, 08:45 PM   #2350
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

Franklin wrote: View Post
I wonder what they all did during the year the Enterprise was being rebuilt? (I know it won't say in the movie, but I do wonder.)
Good question. Maybe we'll find out in the comics or in a novel someday.
Old May 16 2013, 08:47 PM   #2351
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Refresher courses on the Prime Directive and writing reports...
Old May 16 2013, 08:48 PM   #2352
Leonardo T. Dragon
Commander

View Leonardo T. Dragon's Twitter Profile

Saw it last night as part of a double feature with Wrath of Khan.

Great film overall! The cast dynamic was excellent and Cumberbatch managed to steal the show in several places which is high praise when you consider how strong this new cast is.

The plot moved at a lightning pace but yet there was still time for some character development. There was also some nice continuity in terms of several references to the first film of this new timeline. This film relies more on knowledge of the Trek franchise than its predecessor but not to the point where it will alienate more casual audiences. I will say this-- it was very interesting seeing this film right after WoK. VERY interesting.

My biggest complaint is that I'll not get a TV series with this set of actors. The wait for the next film is going to be very very long.

Overall, I gave it an "A" and enjoyed it far more than Iron Man 3 which was a huge disappointment in my eyes.
Old May 16 2013, 08:48 PM   #2353
J. Allen
Best Pony™

BillJ wrote: View Post

I did love the dressing down Pike gave Kirk in the first part of the movie. It was very well done.
Old May 16 2013, 08:52 PM   #2354
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Curiosity: they never did explain why the Enterprise needed to hide in the ocean on Niburu. It would've been nice to have a reason for hiding a starship there. I know the real world reason was to give it a grand reveal to open the film, but an in-universe reason would've been nice.
Hey, here's one for you: how did they launch the shuttle underwater? Unless I'm mistaken we've yet to see an old-fashioned Star Trek force field of the kind that lets ships pass but keeps air inside a shuttle bay. So they just opened the clamshell doors and...what? Where are the water pumps?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 08:53 PM   #2355
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

Heh sounds about right! Although I wouldn't be surprised if some of the officers were temporarily re-assigned, just to make sure they're helping out and....staying out of trouble.