Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 11 2013, 04:41 PM   #16
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile
Re: Just watched Season 1 for the first time.

TNG is what made me a Star Trek fan If you want to watch every episode of TNG/DS9/Voyager in chronological order, then here is a list that I found, via google
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 06:24 PM   #17
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

neilisyours wrote: View Post
It's exciting; I'm two episodes into S2, and eager for more. Funny to see Whoopi Goldberg and Colm Meaney just pop up out of nowhere. That's how ignorant I am to Star Trek: I was not expecting them at all.

I'm loving it!
Colm Meaney was actually in the first episode of TNG as an unnamed officer on the battle bridge in a red uniform. He got a last name in season 2 but doesn't get a first name until season 4 and then becomes a regular on DS9.
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 09:17 PM   #18
Mojochi
Commodore

Thanks so much, guys, for all of the input. I'm going to keep plugging away, in order.

I may just "nerd out" halfway: and start to alternate TNG and DS9 when I get to season 6 in attempt to watch them in air date order, like the fans would have seen them live. My wife is in the TV biz, and having watched her work on five seasons of shows, I've learned a little about how things work season-to-season, and enough to know that there's more going on behind the scenes when a character suddenly dies, etc. So I think I'll appreciate watching them in the order they were released to the world.

I didn't mind the production values in S1 at all, even though things were clearly hokey at times. I work in the theater, and I feel like I've found an immediate feeling of warmth or familiarity with the characters, and the simple sets, etc. I love Patrick Stewart, being a Shakespeare fan, and so it's just candy to watch him in this show. I grew up on Reading Rainbow, and Lavar Burton just kind of tickles me. Growing up I had a cassette that had Brent Spiner reading a story on it, and I must have listened to it a hundred times. So these actors each have a sort of familiarity to me.

It's exciting; I'm two episodes into S2, and eager for more. Funny to see Whoopi Goldberg and Colm Meaney just pop up out of nowhere. That's how ignorant I am to Star Trek: I was not expecting them at all.

I'm loving it!
One of the instances when being a newb is actually a wonderful thing. Now that you mention it, having some familiarity with theater does indeed help with appreciating season 1 & 2. They settle in & really begin turning out wonderful tv in season 3, once all the kinks are worked out & then ride that wave a good long while

You've got all kinds of good stuff coming your way
Mojochi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 04:05 AM   #19
neilisyours
Cadet

You guys have gotten me pretty excited to see what will happen to really make the show "wonderful" in season 3. I wonder what DID happen? Did the popularity give them a bigger budget? Did the writing just get better? Was it a matter of the show just "finding itself?"

Four episodes in to season 2, trying to force myself to take my time. To me, the strongest or best-working element in the show so far (besides Patrick Stewart making any text he's given into awesomeness) is, hands-down, Data. I think Spiner is "nailing it" with the character, and his Pinocchio quest to be "a real boy" is incredibly compelling (and charming) stuff.

Onwards...
neilisyours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 04:09 AM   #20
R. Star
Rear Admiral

It's mainly a case of the show finding itself and the writing getting better. The first season and a half, the show really is just imitating TOS on a lot of levels. You can call it coincidence or not, but season 3's about the time Roddenberry stopped running the show on a day to day basis too.
Old May 12 2013, 04:32 AM   #21
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

The main difference is that Michael Piller took over as show runner in season 3 with a greater focus on characters and started the open submission policy allowing anyone to submit a scrip. Before that the writing room was a revolving door because people couldn't work within the limitations set by Gene Roddenberry.

The shows writing became much better overall with a lot of great episodes and the season ended with the shows first and best cliffhanger episode "The Best of Both World". Visually the show also looked better because they finally get rid of the spandex uniforms and replaced them with wool uniforms with a collar.

Last edited by GameOn; May 12 2013 at 04:43 AM.
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 04:47 AM   #22
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I would have said, skip seasons 1 and 2 except for Q Who and go right to season 3.

But you've already seen season 1, so just watch them in order.

Just remember one thing: DS9 is the series you watch next. You watch Voyager and/or Enterprise AFTER you've seen all of DS9.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 04:54 AM   #23
Third Nacelle
Captain

^There are more non-skippable episodes in seasons 1 and 2 than just that!

I'd rate Datalore, 11001001, Symbiosis, The Neutral Zone, The Child, Unnatural Selection, The Measure of a Man, Time Squared, Pen Pals, The Emissary all at 7.0 or higher.

And if I had to recommend just one, Measure of a Man would come before Q Who.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 12:02 AM   #24
Obiwansolo18
Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you loved season one every season after is gonna blow your mind cause series gets so much better. I would have to agree that next series to watch ds9 next its sexond only to tng
Obiwansolo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 03:32 AM   #25
Tiberius
Commodore

I'm 35 years-old, a lifelong fan of sci-fi and fantasy, a technophile and an avid futurist, yet I never watched TNG until now. I just finished the first season, and I LOVED it.

Of course, throughout my life I was exposed to the characters, and generally thought I knew "what it was about." I think I avoided watching it because my older sister loved it, and it was always "her thing" to me.

Now I'm breaking out season two, and I'm marveling at the fact that I have the ENTIRE rest of the series ahead of me, not to mention voyager, deep space 9, and whatever the one is that has scott bakula.

I think about how badly I would love to watch some of my favorite things "for the first time" again, and I'm trying to savor the experience of watching this show, and do it right!

Question: (I was very tempted to write "Query:" -- I guess I just did.) Do you guys recommend I watch anything out of order, or that I consume any supplemental material as I go through the series? Or should I continue like this, just watching each episode until I've finished them all, then go back and read all about them, etc.?

I guess what I'm asking is: If you could do it all over again, how would you do it?
I recently finished a marathon of EVERY episode of Trek in viewing order. See the link in my signature for the order I suggest.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 02:18 AM   #26
Mojochi
Commodore

Did the writing just get better? Was it a matter of the show just "finding itself?"
Both of these. So much was still up in the air in S1 & S2. Not to say those seasons are a waste, but the consistency really found a rhythm by S3. The characters fell into place, & the stories were able to blossom. The whole comfort level seemed to gel with the cast, writers, & producers
Mojochi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 07:36 PM   #27
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I think about how badly I would love to watch some of my favorite things "for the first time" again, and I'm trying to savor the experience of watching this show, and do it right!
I envy you!

Still, I just rewatched Season 1 on Blu-Ray and it's easily been over a decade since I had seen most of these episodes so it was almost as good as watching them for the first time. In fact I finally watched the one episode of TNG I had never seen just a few weeks ago. Overall I enjoyed the first season a lot more than I thought I would. I will totally watch it again some day soon.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 06:48 AM   #28
pirates_dc
Ensign

I hate to go against the grain, but I think that if you really wanted to skip episodes you would be fine. It is a great series and every episode is awesome, but truthfully the only ones you need to watch in order are the 2 parters. Of course you may miss the introduction of a few charecters, but they usually do a good job explaining who reoccuring charecters are. Anyways, welcome to the trek universe, it is a truly inpirational franchise that will make you envy those who will one day be able to truly travel the cosmos
pirates_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 01:12 PM   #29
I am not Spock
Commodore

Enjoy TNG. I wish I could see it for the first time again. I'm getting into it again on Blu ray, after not seeing TNG for quite a long time, and really enjoying the stories.

The show really improves as it goes on. If you like season one, you should love it when it kicks into its stride in about season three.