Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 141 19.13%
A 159 21.57%
A- 99 13.43%
B+ 82 11.13%
B 58 7.87%
B- 27 3.66%
C+ 40 5.43%
C 38 5.16%
C- 24 3.26%
D+ 11 1.49%
D 13 1.76%
D- 10 1.36%
F 35 4.75%
Voters: 737. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 16 2013, 07:05 PM   #2311
ConRefit79
Captain

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

flemm wrote: View Post
I guess I'm not sure what the ADD thing is really referring to (it's one of those derogatory comments that gets thrown around all the time, by the way, in this context).
Well, the Lens flare comment and Star Trek Into Decadence was the main thing that got me.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 07:05 PM   #2312
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I'm praising it - success is its own defense.

Of course, having seen it I'm in a position to have an informed opinion.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 07:06 PM   #2313
Amasov
Rear Admiral

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
^ *nerdgasm*

If any Trek story was to be rebooted, I'd want this one to be.
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 07:06 PM   #2314
ConRefit79
Captain

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post

I know the whole story. Its all over this thread. I don't have to go see it to know I don't like the story.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 07:10 PM   #2315
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post

I know the whole story. Its all over this thread. I don't have to go see it to know I don't like the story.
With respect, and despite of what you've read - I find it almost inconceivable you'd make a call on a movie you haven't actually seen.
Old May 16 2013, 07:10 PM   #2316
flemm
Fleet Captain

Well, the Lens flare comment and Star Trek Into Decadence was the main thing that go me.
The Lens flares were toned down quite a bit, nowhere near as glaring.

Regarding the "Decadence" part... I guess I could see that, but not really moreso than entertainment of this sort generally is.

In point of fact, the "Into Darkness" part of the title doesn't really correspond to much of anything in the movie. I guess that is just the fashionable "sequel vibe" or whatever, since the Dark Knight. But there's little to no actual Darkness.

Which is fine, in passing. I like the bright, colorful palette of the film overall.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 07:10 PM   #2317
Dave Scarpa
Lieutenant Commander

hamudm wrote: View Post
Matchstick wrote: View Post

But... we don't get it. Instead, we get a I-can't-believe-they're-going-there tensionless riff on the other iconic part of "Wrath"'s climax. (To paraphrase Sisko in "Paradise Lost," "You're stealing the WRONG PARTS, Admiral!")
It's interesting you mention Paradise Lost. The story to STID had the foundations of a great Paradise Lost-esque story r.e. conspiracy within the Federation. To me, it felt more like a story like this and that the Khan angle was just shoehorned in there for the sake of having a visible villain. I swear, take Khan out of the story, make a few minor changes and we would have had a much better movie along the lines of Paradise Lost and ST: TUC.

Did anyone else get a
Absolutely agree there was no reason to make Harrison Khan. Make him one of Section 31's operatives pissed at being hosed by Marcus for some reason, but then they'd have to write a real ending to the movie. Same reason they did not have to use an Alt-timeline in the first film. Use Spock as a framing Device, telling the story of their first meeting, Had they done that this Khan story would have never happened
Dave Scarpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 07:13 PM   #2318
Dave Scarpa
Lieutenant Commander

Anika Hanson wrote: View Post
I enjoyed it. I'm not going to nitpick it because I accept JJ Abram's version of Star Trek because:

The franchise needs a reboot if it is to continue

These films are not aimed at old Trek fans. They want a new audience because they want to make money. So the brain dead action movie approach is right

The success of these films is vital to any future TV series/films of 'prime trek'

Once I was able to understand this, I was able to accept Nu Star Trek and enjoy it for what it is. It's not the Star Trek I grew up with and love. In my mind it's a different Star Trek. 'My' star trek is still out there and will live on in part becuase of this Nu Trek. It's still alive in the prime books and I live in hope that we will see another TV series or movie.
Yeah but if the success of these films, leads to Trek on TV like this series of films, I'll stick with what I already have its enough
Old May 16 2013, 07:14 PM   #2319
hamudm
Rear Admiral

View hamudm's Twitter Profile

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
mos6507 wrote: View Post
hamudm wrote: View Post

This is one of those sarcastic posts right?
I'd hope that his was the more serious post (TUC was a disappointment, IMO) and that the "is EVERYONE ON DRUGS?!" post was the merely sarcastic one, given with tongue firmly in cheek.
OK, now I think that I'M the one trapped in an alternate universe! What kind of topsy turvy world has STID>ST:TUC????

I'm just going to leave now.

EDIT: People are creaming their pants over this movie for the same reasons that people heaved dung at Nemesis... this whole thing really has me baffled. I'm questioning my own sanity right now... am I even awake?
Old May 16 2013, 07:18 PM   #2320
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I don't have to go see it to know I don't like the story.
A movie is not a story, and a story is not a plot. This narrowness and misunderstanding is, in fact, where a lot of fan critics fail.

You may not need to see a film in order to decide to dislike it, but you do have to see it for your criticism of it to have any validity worthy of addressing as such.

Respecting the right of people to hold any opinion they please is not the same as the content of the opinion itself being worthy of respect.

Dave Scarpa wrote: View Post

Absolutely agree there was no reason to make Harrison Khan. Make him one of Section 31's operatives pissed at being hosed by Marcus for some reason...
Pass.
Old May 16 2013, 07:19 PM   #2321
marksound
Fleet Captain

STAR TREK IS: Space opera, action and adventure, playing fast and loose with real science to make it fit whatever serves the plot. Character chemistry, interaction, making the story play well onscreen. Characters are the focus. It's fun, memorable (or not), and fun. Talky, unless budget allows a good shoot em up. Total make believe, escapism.

STAR TREK IS NOT: The history of the future, a plan for the course of humanity through the next few hundred years, a serious study of what can be accomplished if we are only intelligent enough to pursue it. Not a theology, not a religion.

People get way too serious about this stuff. Star Trek was very nearly dead more than once in the last 45 years. We've had more chances than a lot of fans get with their favorites.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 07:19 PM   #2322
KirkusOveractus
Captain

Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus

I read what was here also and still saw the movie. I loved it. In fact, it was better than most were describing it.

Unfortunately, any comment or criticism you would try to say about this movie and not being one who's seen it gives you no credibility whatsoever.
KirkusOveractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 07:22 PM   #2323
KirkusOveractus
Captain

Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
STAR TREK IS: Space opera, action and adventure, playing fast and loose with real science to make it fit whatever serves the plot. Character chemistry, interaction, making the story play well onscreen. Characters are the focus. It's fun, memorable (or not), and fun. Talky, unless budget allows a good shoot em up.

STAR TREK IS NOT: The history of the future, a plan for the course of humanity through the next few hundred years, a serious study of what can be accomplished if we are only intelligent enough to pursue it.

People get way too serious about this stuff. Star Trek was very nearly dead more than once in the last 45 years. We've had more chances than a lot of fans get with their favorites.

Amen, brotha!
KirkusOveractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 07:22 PM   #2324
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
STAR TREK IS: Space opera, action and adventure, playing fast and loose with real science to make it fit whatever serves the plot. Character chemistry, interaction, making the story play well onscreen. Characters are the focus. It's fun, memorable (or not), and fun. Talky, unless budget allows a good shoot em up.

STAR TREK IS NOT: The history of the future, a plan for the course of humanity through the next few hundred years, a serious study of what can be accomplished if we are only intelligent enough to pursue it.

Absolutely Right(TM) - with particular emphasis on the summary of what it's not.
Old May 16 2013, 07:25 PM   #2325
Dave Scarpa
Lieutenant Commander

I also love the screenwriters version of Starfleet in this film, in Space Seed although Khan has stolen his ship, killed and threatened his people he respects him as a human being from a different time and offers him the chance of a new life for his people (He could'nt have forseen the result) but this starfleet just mothballs Khan and his people in a warehouse somewhere.