Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 13 2013, 07:21 AM   #16
KarmicCurse
Lieutenant

Re: are the original series blu rays any good?

Each season is $45 at Best Buy this week.

I just bought season 1 and I've seen 3 episodes so far. They do look quite good, but the soft lighting and deliberate (I think) blurring of some shots detract from the clarity. That's not so much a transfer issue as it is the artistic choices made at the time, which retains a certain contemporary glamour.

From what I had read I expected to be blown away. I am impressed but not quite blown away because there is a LOT of grain (or is it the term snow?) throughout.

I understand that old film just won't look as good, but I also have the older James Bond movies on bluray and those look spectacular! I can put my face right up to the screen and those movies look like an oil painting. No hint of grain or pixels. Maybe the original film stock was better for movies?

With TOS I'm impressed with the colors and the clarity most of the time. The dialogue is a bit muted but I don't have a proper sound system, just the flatscreen so I can't judge properly. There is no sense of pixelization, but the "snow" throughout is a minor bother.

I do recommend them though, especially if you have never bought the DVDs.

Now if only I can find the angle control on my bluray player...
KarmicCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 10:17 AM   #17
Robert Comsol
Commodore

The initial thread question seems like a trick question to me. Having watched the TOS Blu-rays I'd say that about 75-80% is TNG-R quality while you have about 25-20% live action footage one would have expected to have more resolution and detail from the original negatives (such footage is rather movie BR quality). But I don't use a flat screen but a front projector, thus those quality differences are easier to notice on a big screen.

The gain in resolution and picture detail is impressive, but I really don't like the encoding of some of the Blu-rays. When I select the original effects in the menu prior to starting the episode I expect to have the original effects from the start on and not with a few seconds delay. "The Ultimate Computer" begins with the new effects and then switches to the original ones, in "Wink of an Eye" I had the whole opening scene with the new effects before it switched to the original ones.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 12:32 PM   #18
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

KarmicCurse wrote: View Post
I am impressed but not quite blown away because there is a LOT of grain (or is it the term snow?) throughout.

I understand that old film just won't look as good, but I also have the older James Bond movies on bluray and those look spectacular! I can put my face right up to the screen and those movies look like an oil painting. No hint of grain or pixels. Maybe the original film stock was better for movies?
You realize that grain is suppose to be there? On films with no grain, it means its been scrubbed out digitally and with it details.
Old May 13 2013, 12:47 PM   #19
LOKAI of CHERON
Fleet Captain

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

T'Girl wrote: View Post
If you're asking if the blu ray's are significantly better than the pre-blu ray DVD's, I'd say no. There is a incremental improvement in the quality yes, but it isn't the different between night and day.

It's a matter of nuance.

I really can't agree with this statement at all. Beyond "the numbers", I guess it's all completely subjective in "the viewers eye" as it were. But, IMHO, there is indeed a significant increase in comparative quality. To call it an "incremental improvement" is way, way off the mark.

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Yes, the TOS blu rays are beautiful--you see just well that series was produced. I had TOS tapes, laserdiscs, and DVDs, and none come close to the revealing quality of the series on blu ray.
This.

LOL, TREK_GOD_1 - I'm glad I'm not the only one who's purchased TOS progressively, and repeatedly, on those formats!
Old May 14 2013, 07:23 AM   #20
KarmicCurse
Lieutenant

It seems there is a difference in quality between episodes, although they are all quite impressive. I noticed some grain on the first few I watched randomly. But I just finished watching “Where No Man Has Gone Before” and it was stunningly clean and sharp!

In contrast I also just finished watching the first two Godfather movies and they are just about the worst quality blu-rays I have ever seen. From what I've read that was intentional. Supposedly. So you just never know what you're getting. Still I would rather have them as they were meant to be seen and not put through some questionable software alterations.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the TOS blu-rays if the original poster is still debating, as long as the price is reasonable.
KarmicCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 08:04 AM   #21
Harvey
Admiral

Sorry, but The Godfather Blu-Rays are superlative. (Well, except for including Part III, but, c'est la vie).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 05:21 PM   #22
CrazyMatt
Commander

No question, Blu-Rays are caviar, DVDs are peanut butter. Seeing Star Trek in Blu-Ray is the next best thing to being right on the set while they filmed....

And the Blu-Ray discs are much cheaper than a time machine.
Old May 14 2013, 06:32 PM   #23
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Actually, I think the original SFX look a lot better on the DVDs than on Blu-Ray.
Old May 16 2013, 05:23 PM   #24
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

It seems there is a difference in quality between episodes, although they are all quite impressive. I noticed some grain on the first few I watched randomly. But I just finished watching “Where No Man Has Gone Before” and it was stunningly clean and sharp!

In contrast I also just finished watching the first two Godfather movies and they are just about the worst quality blu-rays I have ever seen. From what I've read that was intentional. Supposedly. So you just never know what you're getting. Still I would rather have them as they were meant to be seen and not put through some questionable software alterations.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the TOS blu-rays if the original poster is still debating, as long as the price is reasonable.
You read wrong about The Godfather. The first two films were painstakingly restored by a team including one of the absolute best in the business, Robert A. Harris (who also worked on the stunning Lawrence of Arabia restoration that was released last fall). The Godfather films on Blu-ray are about as close to the original films as are likely to get. The goal was to match an original dye print (held by the Academy of Motion Pictures that awards Oscars) and by all accounts, it was a rousing success. If one has only ever seen them in previous home video releases (laserdisc, VHS, earlier DVD releases, cable or broadcast TV), then the blu-rays might not appear as one remembers--but that is not to say they are not as faithful to the original as they could be. You may not like the way the restoration looks (that is entirely your prerogative) but they are not a radical departure from the original intended look. Quite the opposite, in fact.

If you want to see a film whose Blu-ray release dramatically alters the original, get a hold of the first Blu-ray of The French Connection (the most recent release, after much outcry over the first one, is about as close to the original theatrical prints as it gets, as well).

As to TOS on Blu-ray, the non-effects stuff looks dramatically better than any previous release (sometimes TOO revealing, as they were never intended to be viewed by the audience at such a high resolution). The original effects were not designed to hold up to theatrical standards of the day, let alone now, so it is understandable they look worse than on lower resolution sources.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 10:47 PM   #25
Mr_Homn
Captain

I just bought season 1 and I've seen 3 episodes so far. They do look quite good, but the soft lighting and deliberate (I think) blurring of some shots detract from the clarity. That's not so much a transfer issue as it is the artistic choices made at the time, which retains a certain contemporary glamour.

From what I had read I expected to be blown away. I am impressed but not quite blown away because there is a LOT of grain (or is it the term snow?) throughout.

With TOS I'm impressed with the colors and the clarity most of the time. The dialogue is a bit muted but I don't have a proper sound system, just the flatscreen so I can't judge properly. There is no sense of pixelization, but the "snow" throughout is a minor bother.

I do recommend them though, especially if you have never bought the DVDs.

Now if only I can find the angle control on my bluray player...
Grain is good. DNR is bad.
Old May 17 2013, 07:46 PM   #26
LOKAI of CHERON
Fleet Captain

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
Grain is good. DNR is bad.
Well, not in every case. A judicious application of DNR can vastly improve PQ - it all depends on how it's done. Check out James Cameron's Aliens on BD for an example of perfect DNR application.

Last edited by LOKAI of CHERON; May 17 2013 at 09:25 PM.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 11:42 PM   #27
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Seeing TOS on bluray is like seeing it for the first time. It's amazing how clear it is. Plus, some of the original FX actually hold up pretty well in HD.
Old May 21 2013, 01:56 PM   #28
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
LOL, TREK_GOD_1 - I'm glad I'm not the only one who's purchased TOS progressively, and repeatedly, on those formats!
Yeah, I guess once you're in...you're in forever.
Old May 21 2013, 10:58 PM   #29
Lance
Fleet Captain

The grain is important. Nothing shot on film should ever look like an oil painting. The worst BD transfers are the ones where the grain has been scrubbed away to the point where people look like wax figures. Of course, having said that, balance is the key. I think TOS-R probably had the balance right.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 06:57 PM   #30
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Are you talking about the closeups of beautiful women being shot through a soft-focus filter? This was pretty standard in the 60s, and, yes, it was intentional.

There's supposed to be grain, because that's what film looks like.

I understand that old film just won't look as good, but I also have the older James Bond movies on bluray and those look spectacular!
Actually, that's simply not correct. Old film looks just as good as new film as long as it's been well preserved. In fact, all film, both old and new, has even greater resolution than a modern HD TV show, greater resolution than your TV is capable of showing. A movie made fifty years ago can look like it was filmed just yesterday. But grain is a part of the film. It's not the result of bad or old film, it's always been there in the film.

I can put my face right up to the screen and those movies look like an oil painting. No hint of grain or pixels. Maybe the original film stock was better for movies?
No, it's been manipulated with a computer to remove grain, meaning it is no longer a true representation of the actual film.