Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 14 2013, 04:28 AM   #61
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Re: How Much Does JJ Abrams Know About Star Trek

buckeyenation wrote: View Post
There's a line from The Music Man about " knowing the territory ". Robert Wise didn't know it;Nicholas Meyer did. Does Abrams? I think he has a limited understanding of Trek, akin to someone who has just learned a new language, but hasn't spoken it their whole life
IIRC, Nick Meyer knew next to nothing about Star Trek and was not a fan of the show before getting the job to direct TWOK.
Old May 14 2013, 05:31 AM   #62
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
buckeyenation wrote: View Post
There's a line from The Music Man about " knowing the territory ". Robert Wise didn't know it;Nicholas Meyer did. Does Abrams? I think he has a limited understanding of Trek, akin to someone who has just learned a new language, but hasn't spoken it their whole life
IIRC, Nick Meyer knew next to nothing about Star Trek and was not a fan of the show before getting the job to direct TWOK.
In the instance of TWOK, the 'territory' is not TREK specifically, but rather Meyer's ability to embellish and invigorate existing characters created by others (a la Holmes in 7%) and to successfully reestablish the Hornblower-in-Space notion that had occasionally floundered and more recently been lost at sea.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 05:36 AM   #63
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
mos6507 wrote: View Post

They may not have known a lot up front, but they did the proper research. Go read the old interviews and they'll talk about how they went back and watched the show--a lot. They just didn't egotistically move forward with their vision without knowing what came before. Sure, they changed things, but they were mindful of what they were changing.
And Orci & Kurtzman watched the shows and one of them is a fan of Trek Lit. I don't think geek cred is a barometer of whether someone is capable of making a good movie.

John Logan was a big fan...

I blame Berman.
There's enough blame to go around to encompass Baird, Berman and Logan. I think Berman was wrong in his creative calls maybe three-quarters of the time for 15 years or more, but on NEM, the lion's share belongs to Logan's actor-pandering shitwork and Baird still not acknowledging he has never had any business being on a set directing live-action.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 08:08 AM   #64
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
The impression I get is that he watched TOS as a kid when he was too young to understand many of its nuances but he's watched the TOS movies more recently and enjoyed them because of the increased action quotient (and in fairness I think this is important in a movie as opposed to a series). The absence of Chapel and Rand but inclusion of Chekov lends some support to this.

His comprehension of how Starfleet should be organised or what its ideals were meant to represent seem to be very ropey. He seems to have only the most basic grasp of what level of tech existed in TOS or the butterfly effect of changing those parameters. He doesn't seem to understand the way Trek was based on naval tradition or why that mattered.

He seems happy to keep the women in their place though.
Star Trek as a franchise has had numerous series and movies to establish what Trek is. JJ has only had 2 movies to do that.
I think that his stamp is very clear and distinctive and I would not say that the results are bad - they have proved very popular - but I just wish he had injected the same amount of energy without watering down the naval tradition so much and without upgrading the tech (as opposed to the look of the tech) to such a degree. I also wish that he could have taken the bull by the horns and built on the improvements in equality that came out of DS9 and Voyager but he slotted right back into the sexism of the sixties - not in the way the established women are portrayed - they're very good - but in the way that Starfleet is incredibly male-dominated and incredibly human dominated for that matter.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 07:23 PM   #65
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

It's not sexist.
Old May 15 2013, 04:46 PM   #66
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
It's not sexist.
TOS? Yeah no way!

I mean what with Uhura and all.

Oh and the rule about women not being captains, the numerous female guests that existed solely to wear hot clothes and be swept of their feet by Kirk, and Harry Mudd's wife being a stereotypical nag and so on.
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 04:46 PM   #67
G2309
Captain

View G2309's Twitter Profile

I tink he knows the TOS characters well and understands a lot of wat made te origial series appealing. He's certainly brought a lot of te fun back to Star Trek whilst still giving te caacters some good drama.

http://wondersandparodies.blogspot.c...y-scripts.html
G2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 06:23 PM   #68
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Cinema Geekly wrote: View Post
It's not sexist.
TOS? Yeah no way!

Oh and the rule about women not being captains, the numerous female guests that existed solely to wear hot clothes and be swept of their feet by Kirk, and Harry Mudd's wife being a stereotypical nag and so on.
I meant the movie.

EDIT: It's not OVERTLY sexist.

Last edited by Kruezerman; May 15 2013 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Clarification.
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 06:38 PM   #69
Cinema Geekly
Lieutenant Commander

View Cinema Geekly's Twitter Profile

Cinema Geekly wrote: View Post
It's not sexist.
TOS? Yeah no way!

I meant the movie.

EDIT: It's not OVERTLY sexist.
Oh my bad. Apologies.

*facepalm*
Cinema Geekly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 01:03 AM   #70
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

nightwind1 wrote: View Post
He knows enough to please this fan who's been enjoying Trek since 1966.
Why? I am middle aged and have only been here since TAS and the syndicated era. We are outside of the target demographic and no longer stand in line and brave the crowds for the all important first weekend box office figures.
Old May 16 2013, 12:42 PM   #71
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Star Wolf wrote: View Post
nightwind1 wrote: View Post
He knows enough to please this fan who's been enjoying Trek since 1966.
Why? I am middle aged and have only been here since TAS and the syndicated era. We are outside of the target demographic and no longer stand in line and brave the crowds for the all important first weekend box office figures.
Well, I've been a fan since 1973 and I've already got my ticket for tonight. So obviously it appeals to some of us.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 04:56 PM   #72
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I've been a fan since 1966 - I was in junior high school, then - and paid extra to see this one last night.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 05:00 PM   #73
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Was it worth it? (I mean, with the date and all ).

I've got about 8 hours or so to go before I see it. Thankfully it's in a decent theatre--until it opened, I usually watched stuff at home because my gear is better than what was available in the neighbourhood (especially for sound).
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote