Your home and sea level rises

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, May 15, 2013.

1. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Yeah, but it's dirty. And they love it! ;)

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

That was my dad's view.

At 50m my house become ocean view. However I think it's wrong, it says Hartford will be part of the ocean at about 30m, but there are dams to save it.

3. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^Yes. According to map, there's a sharply diamond-shaped island off the coast of the Carolinas.

4. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

They do have/had some nice beaches. ;)

Joking aside though, if this projection is correct, even a modest increase in the sea level (1m is sufficient) could be catastrophic there. I didn't know that.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Places not to be if the waters start to rise...The Netherlands!

6. Mark de Vries

Mark de Vries Commodore Commodore

Guess where I am... :P

As the sea levels rises I do ave a good view of the water gradualy coming up my street, but at +5 meters I wouldn't be able to get out the door without scuba gear...

However, I am moving house in three weeks. Let's see how the new house fares... Ah, even worse. Beach in the back yard at +1, sleeping with the fishes at anything higher...

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

:) Well I guess they don't call it the Lowlands for nothing...

I was actually surpsed at how much of the UK stays dry, even at 60M

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Except Britain gains a few more islands at +60m.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

indeed. I'm not sure how much the website takes into accont the Thames flood defences either.

10. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Insert "dike" joke here . . .

11. farmkid

farmkid Commodore Commodore

Seeing how many people here would be flooded by rising sea levels made me wonder about the population distribution by elevation. I found this figure:
    [​IMG]
    Now I have to wonder why civilization is so clustered at low altitudes. There are certainly historical reasons for it. In the past, cities sprung up and grew the most where trade was concentrated, i.e. where ships could come to shore to offload goods. I suppose water may be more plentiful at lower elevations as well, enabling more food production. Now, though, with modern shipping people can live just about anywhere and get the things they need, so those issues shouldn't be significant factors anymore. Are people now living at those altitudes primarily because that's where the cities are?

12. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

The beaches are overcrowded, the sea is awful, and everything is way overpriced. But I'll admit this: you go out at night, and you'll have a blast. ;)

The Po Valley is basically a huge alluvial plain, and most of it is virtually at elevation zero. It's one of the most fertile place in the world, but the risk of flood is significant.

13. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Glad I live near the centroid of mass of North America...

14. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

^I for one, could never live far from the ocean, and I know a number of people who feel the same way. I think our species must somehow be instinctively drawn to water.

Plus, that's where the cities are. ;)

15. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm actually stunned my town will remain above water (barely) even at 60 meters! It would become a "port" town with deltas surrounding it to be sure, but the greater downtown region would be "dry". I thought for sure we'd be a small town "Atlantis".

Why 60 meters in particular? Is that number based upon the melting of all polar and glacial ice?

Sincerely,

Bill

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, according to that map, I would be completely unaffected by a rise in sea level. I wonder how accurate that is, though, because the Mississippi River is literally 8 blocks from my house.

17. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I just checked. A lot of my town would be underwater. So would quite a bit of 1-405. But my house would be just a few blocks from the lake.

18. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Interesting! IL wasn't an issue, but out here it would still take about 50m before my apartment is a goner. My previous apartment would be gone at about 4m though, which is kind of nuts.

19. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Intresting graph, thanks for posting it.

20. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I don't think they do at all. For example I'm pretty sure the Netherlands will be ok, regardless of sea level rise (unless it's really massive, like 10+ meters), because of their defenses.

In other places though, where there are sand beaches for example, that's not an option, unless they are willing to abandon the beaches; and in other places again, they don't have the means to build adequate defenses (you feel sorry for the thousand people who died in that factory collapse in Bangladesh? See how many people there would be affected by a sea level rise of 5 metres...).