Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.38%
A 161 21.67%
A- 100 13.46%
B+ 82 11.04%
B 58 7.81%
B- 27 3.63%
C+ 40 5.38%
C 38 5.11%
C- 24 3.23%
D+ 11 1.48%
D 13 1.75%
D- 10 1.35%
F 35 4.71%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 16 2013, 02:29 PM   #2251
Chu'lak
Lieutenant

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Squiggy wrote: View Post
I, for one, am going to love seeing Bernd's head exploding over the next month.
THE NEW SHIPS ARE NO BIGGER THAN THE OLD ONES. THAT SHOT WHERE THE VENGEANCE'S ENGINEERING HULL WAS THE SIZE OF ALCATRAZ ISLAND WAS A MISTAKE. ALL THE SETS ARE MISTAKES. ALL THE CG ARE VFX ERRORS. THAT CARGO HOLD SCOTTY RAN ACROSS WAS REALLY THE SIZE OF A BROOM CLOSET.
This is why i love the internets
Chu'lak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 02:30 PM   #2252
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

CommishSleer wrote: View Post

I love this movie. I gave it an A+ but I'm amazed you can say TWOK was not well acted and limited.
Well, it is limited in ways that I pointed out. They didn't have a lot of money or time, and the script itself was to some extent dictated by Montalban's availability (hence the fact that he and Shatner never have a scene together on the stage).

I didn't say it wasn't "well acted." I said that most of these guys are better actors than those guys, and several of them have more opportunity to demonstrate it in this one.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 02:37 PM   #2253
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

mos6507 wrote: View Post
The critics are not universally praising this thing.

Wired magazine just chimed in.
Who gives a shit? I've seen it, the reviews are meaningless now.
Old May 16 2013, 02:38 PM   #2254
gornsky
Lieutenant Junior Grade

SSOASS wrote: View Post
throwback wrote: View Post
I have this question to ask. In our contemporary world, when the nation's capital is put on alert, there is an increased emphasis on the air traffic routes being monitored and suspicious aircraft are immediately tagged and interceptors are sent. In the film, I would presuppose that San Francisco and Paris and other major cities with Federation buildings are placed on alert and there is an increase in vigilance. So, is it explained in the movie how Khan was able to pilot a gunship that close to the conference room in an effort at assassinating several members of Starfleet?
That is a good question and really the one big plot hole in the movie for me. Who knows, maybe they were busy issuing 3oz and under tubes of toothpaste for everyone?
Based on the dialogue in the movie, Khan's ship wasn't a gunship, it was a little jump ship with no warp capability. Spock was surprised that a terrorist would commandeer such a ship. So it doesn't sound like the kind of craft that would raise an alert.

Remember, there are little jump ships flying all over the place in the 24th century, issuing an alert in San Franciso for this ship after the archive bombing in London would be the same as issuing an alert for cars in Canberra after the Boston Marathon bombing. I've seen people complain that Khan was just able to shoot up the meeting without there being any response, but Pike immediately calls for air defense and there are about 5 ships there within about a minute.

But it was all over so quickly.
gornsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 02:39 PM   #2255
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Squiggy wrote: View Post
I, for one, am going to love seeing Bernd's head exploding over the next month.
THE NEW SHIPS ARE NO BIGGER THAN THE OLD ONES. THAT SHOT WHERE THE VENGEANCE'S ENGINEERING HULL WAS THE SIZE OF ALCATRAZ ISLAND WAS A MISTAKE. ALL THE SETS ARE MISTAKES. ALL THE CG ARE VFX ERRORS. THAT CARGO HOLD SCOTTY RAN ACROSS WAS REALLY THE SIZE OF A BROOM CLOSET.
I imagined him saying all that while going like this

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 02:43 PM   #2256
SSOASS
Ensign

THAT CARGO HOLD SCOTTY RAN ACROSS WAS REALLY THE SIZE OF A BROOM CLOSET.
Yeah

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Simon...-Up-37571.html
Well, you mentioned the bay of the Vengeance, where you’ve got the challenge of running across this place that really does feel like it’s the inside of an airplane hangar. When you go in there, what’s your reaction when you see the space you’re gonna have to jog across so many times?

Pegg
Yeah, it was immense. It’s always very important to J.J. that we are surrounded by physicality, that we’re never really relying on too much green screen. Certainly from my experience in the film, there was very little green screen work done. We always had some kind of physical prop around us and we were always in touch with some solid object, you know, and that set that was down at hangar in West LA, which is essentially a gigantic warehouse that people use if a sound studio is not big enough. That was all there and when it was lit up, when the kind of emergency lights were flashing. It was insane. It was 100 meters long, it was like half a mile. It was ridiculous. I ran it three times, sprinted it as fast as I possibly could, and it was extraordinarily fun.
Q
Fun and not completely exhausting?

Pegg
Oh, I threw up after the third one because I’d only just had my dinner. We were doing a night shoot and I kind of...

J.J. has this thing where he makes you want to do your very best all of the time. He never demands it of you. He never kind of like plays any game in asking for it. He never even physically asks you to do it, but you always want to do your best for J.J., because it’s J,J,. So, I ran faster than I’ve run since I was a kid and broke the land speed record. All of the crew applauded and I felt really good about myself, because, you know, I’m the oldest of the crew members and then J.J. said, “That was great, Simon. Would you do it again,” and I was like, “Yeah, yeah, just give me one minute.” Then I kind of got my breath back and I did it again and then I did it again and then I had excuse myself and go throw up.
SSOASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 02:47 PM   #2257
gornsky
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Richard III wrote: View Post
In the new universe Spock appears barely to tolerate Captain Douche, and on the event of his life being saved in a volcano by his ‘friend’ cannot wait to get back to Starfleet and let them know that the poor Niburuians are too busy worshipping the great nacelled Kirk in the sky to bother with this evolving crap.

No apologies, no mitigation, just under the bus you go you Kibyashi-maru cheating, apple-eating, drink driver from Iowa.

So to go from this to Why Is Water Streaming Down My Face, does, in the words of Original McCoy, not compute.
You really did quite spectacularly miss most of the movie.
gornsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 02:49 PM   #2258
SSOASS
Ensign

gornsky wrote: View Post
SSOASS wrote: View Post
throwback wrote: View Post
I have this question to ask. In our contemporary world, when the nation's capital is put on alert, there is an increased emphasis on the air traffic routes being monitored and suspicious aircraft are immediately tagged and interceptors are sent. In the film, I would presuppose that San Francisco and Paris and other major cities with Federation buildings are placed on alert and there is an increase in vigilance. So, is it explained in the movie how Khan was able to pilot a gunship that close to the conference room in an effort at assassinating several members of Starfleet?
That is a good question and really the one big plot hole in the movie for me. Who knows, maybe they were busy issuing 3oz and under tubes of toothpaste for everyone?
Based on the dialogue in the movie, Khan's ship wasn't a gunship, it was a little jump ship with no warp capability. Spock was surprised that a terrorist would commandeer such a ship. So it doesn't sound like the kind of craft that would raise an alert.

Remember, there are little jump ships flying all over the place in the 24th century, issuing an alert in San Franciso for this ship after the archive bombing in London would be the same as issuing an alert for cars in Canberra after the Boston Marathon bombing. I've seen people complain that Khan was just able to shoot up the meeting without there being any response, but Pike immediately calls for air defense and there are about 5 ships there within about a minute.

But it was all over so quickly.
I might be overly nit picky on this, I guess my comparison is 9/11 and how all normal traffic (in our case foot, car, helicopters, commercial planes) was diverted away from sensitive targets. I would have thought they would have done the same thing.

But it is not a real big deal, the key point was Pike was killed (I admit to hoping he was badly wounded and would end up beeping once or twice), Kirk got the ship back, gave him an emotional reason to go after Kahn, plus the scene itself was cool.
SSOASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 02:55 PM   #2259
Opus
Commodore

Caught it last night.

Effing Amazing! Great action movie with a lot of heart.

When I wasa a teen, Trek movies were mostly about a middle-aged man going through a mid-life crisis. This is not that story. It's a great story of how Kirk TRULY becomes the captain of the Enterprise, and what he learns about himself along the way.

I was grinning from beginning to end. The actors nail the parts. It felt like old Trek, but the action made it feel like it was on steroids.

IMO - If ST09 is 'Batman Begins', then STID is 'The Dark Knight'.

Well done!
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 02:58 PM   #2260
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Opus wrote: View Post
When I wasa a teen, Trek movies were mostly about a middle-aged man going through a mid-life crisis.
And just what's your problem with that, young man?

Old May 16 2013, 03:08 PM   #2261
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

You know, there's this great moment - when Khan explains in detail to Spock-in-command where the Enterprise's life support systems are located, how he'll disable them and then walk over the "cold, dead corpses" of the crew to rescue his people - that's a wonderful homage to Khan's disabling of the ship in "Space Seed."

Academic, Captain. Refuse, and every person on the Bridge will suffocate.
Guess Khanberbatch had quite a bit of time to study the Enterprise tech manuals while he was at Section 31, hmmm?
Old May 16 2013, 03:18 PM   #2262
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

The Vengeance was likely under construction at the same time as the Enterprise, they're both the forerunners of the newer, shinier advanced fleet Starfleet is producing. So Khan was probably monitoring the entire construction process of the Enterprise. Worryingly he probably knew more about it than Kirk, maybe even Pike.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 03:22 PM   #2263
Agent Richard07
Admiral

- Gotta re-watch "Space Seed" before I see the movie again.

- The Vengeance construction site looked like a Borg cube.

- Hope you enjoyed Alice Eve in 3D, J. Allen.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 03:25 PM   #2264
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Oh, and Salvor, love that avatar.

When I saw it the other day, I thought that we'd get Cumberbatch in a red uniform.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 03:27 PM   #2265
flemm
Fleet Captain

My initial reaction to this movie was pretty similar to my immediate reaction to Trek '09: I love the cast and the overall look and feel of these films. But I think the story is weak and convoluted in a bad way.

Following the first movie of this rebooted Trek, I was hoping that the writers would basically abandon the "prime universe" crossover connection and just tell a new story with this incarnation of the crew. Following this movie, I'm still hoping they eventually will.

The connection with events in the "prime universe" is supposed to add a layer of resonance to the film's emotional climax, but it didn't work for me. The knowledge that Kirk was going to be immediately resurrected didn't help. I wasn't spoiled, but I might as well have been. The connection with TWoK was too heavy-handed imo. I would have preferred a more subtle nod.

It's a gorgeous, brightly-colored film, I love this incarnation of the characters and the action sequences. Will keep hoping the next script is better, though. The movie is incredibly... fanwanky, I guess? ...in ways that I find completely unnecessary.

I'm a longtime Star Trek fan, but that doesn't mean I want to see Star Trek movies that make me feel like I'm browsing through a souped-up version of my DVD collection. A lot of the movie is awesome, don't get me wrong, but it's a weird mix of shiny, spectacular awesomeness and rehashed or just plain recopied/re-used ideas.

Last edited by flemm; May 16 2013 at 03:48 PM.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote