Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 14 2013, 10:13 AM   #16
Csalem
Commodore

Re: Novel feature by Empire Film Magazine

Just noticed that the writer of the article posted a comment under it to say he has been reading Trek books for twenty years so at least it was written by someone with some knowledge of the books. Maybe he has not read Voyager yet which is why he did not include it?
Personally speaking, I have been reading Trek books now for 13 years but have not read Stargazer and only one Gorkon novel, so if I was putting together a feature I would probably not include them.
Old May 14 2013, 10:31 AM   #17
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post

If the person writing the article was thinking in terms of novels for adult fans, "Mission to Horatius" wouldn't have come into his
Even if it was released as a part of a children's line, the book has since been reissued as part of the adult line, and thus, it is the first tie-in.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 01:58 PM   #18
Christopher
Writer

Sxottlan wrote: View Post
Kind of odd that they didn't include the Voyager Re-Relaunch.
The focus of the article was on the series that were original to the books, rather than the continuations of the shows. The writer made an exception for the DS9 post-finale books because of their importance and quality.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 08:06 PM   #19
Ben
Lieutenant

They also totally screwed up the explanation for how to get out of the dungeon without using the wizard key!
Old May 15 2013, 12:08 PM   #20
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post

If the person writing the article was thinking in terms of novels for adult fans, "Mission to Horatius" wouldn't have come into his
Even if it was released as a part of a children's line, the book has since been reissued as part of the adult line, and thus, it is the first tie-in.
No one is disputing its status as "the first tie-in". As I said, I've owned a copy of "Mission to Horatius" since the 60s, long before I really knew what Star Trek was!

I was attempting to suggest how and why it is often overlooked. Adults reading the article are unlikely to want to be recommended a YA novel. Magazine article authors consider their audience; a similar article in a magazine for kids would be the place to make a fuss over past kidlit tie-ins.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 11:34 PM   #21
JD
Admiral

^Unless they're Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, Twilight, The Hobbit, Percy Jackson, ect.
Old May 16 2013, 12:37 PM   #22
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

I was attempting to suggest how and why it is often overlooked. Adults reading the article are unlikely to want to be recommended a YA novel. Magazine article authors consider their audience; a similar article in a magazine for kids would be the place to make a fuss over past kidlit tie-ins.
But, if you look at the articles wording, the only books that the author set off to the side are the novelizations. The author did not make any statement that he was only looking at the adult line. Thus they were in error.
Old May 16 2013, 02:38 PM   #23
trampledamage
Clone

No-one's saying there wasn't an error - Therin was just coming up with an idea as to why they may have made that mistake.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 02:52 PM   #24
Therin of Andor
Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
^Unless they're Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, Twilight, The Hobbit, Percy Jackson, ect.
Which are all way more sophisticated that the Whitman TV tie-ins of the 60s.

trampledamage wrote: View Post
No-one's saying there wasn't an error - Therin was just coming up with an idea as to why they may have made that mistake.
Exactly. Even many lists of ST books of the 80s and 90s omitted "Mission to Horatius".

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
The author did not make any statement that he was only looking at the adult line. Thus they were in error.
I hope you've written a letter-to-the-editor at "Empire" magazine.
Old May 17 2013, 03:06 PM   #25
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

I had never even heard of it until the recent reissue. My first reaction to that was "Wait- there was a Star Trek book before Spock Must Die?? No way!" And I'd been an avid novel collector for decades.

Is it worth reading? I never actually bothered to check it out.
Old May 17 2013, 03:14 PM   #26
Christopher
Writer

^Same here -- I never knew Horatius had existed until it was reissued.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2013, 11:38 PM   #27
Daddy Todd
Captain

DorkBoy [TM] wrote: View Post
I had never even heard of it until the recent reissue. My first reaction to that was "Wait- there was a Star Trek book before Spock Must Die?? No way!" And I'd been an avid novel collector for decades.

It's not great. If you miss it, life will go on just fine.

If you've read lots of Astounding/Analog stories from the '50's & '60's, it will make more sense. It's very Campbellian in not-so-subtle ways. Star Trek (the TV series) was never as "Astounding" as Reynold's novel.
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 12:30 AM   #28
Therin of Andor
Admiral

I spent most of 1980 running from second hand bookshop to second hand bookshop, attempted to complete my collection. There was no definitive list, and I eventually went to the State Library to check all annual volumes of "Books in Print" to ensure I had everything from Bantam's output.

In one shop, they had a tattered and motley collection of Whitman's TV tie-in hardcovers and "Mission to Horatius" was $AU 70. I suddenly remembered that I had the "I Spy" volume at home, and that my younger brother had owned "Mission to Horatius" - Christmas gifts from grandma in the 60s - and that I'd read his book when I was home from school with the flu in about 1970.

I raced home and found his copy in the bottom of the old toybox. I never told him I'd seen poor condition versions for $70. Win!
Old May 18 2013, 02:45 AM   #29
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

I got the book for my birthday back in '99 (it was the Reprint). I find that it's a lot better than the Bantam books, and I've read the book about 4 times since '99.
Old May 18 2013, 01:10 PM   #30
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Sxottlan wrote: View Post
Kind of odd that they didn't include the Voyager Re-Relaunch.
The focus of the article was on the series that were original to the books, rather than the continuations of the shows. The writer made an exception for the DS9 post-finale books because of their importance and quality.
Take note Pocket Books!
DS9forever is online now   Reply With Quote