RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,913
Posts: 5,331,125
Members: 24,558
Currently online: 479
Newest member: laurah2215

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 16 2013, 10:33 AM   #91
J. Allen
Best Pony™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: All right, all you JJ-haters! Put your money where your mouth is!

throwback wrote: View Post
What is a secured facility? Here is an example from the 21st century.

The President Emergency Operations Center (PEOC)

The PEOC was built six stories below ground under the East Wing [ed. of the White House] to provide the President with a secure meeting place in the event of an emergency. Access to the PEOC is by an elevator located behind multiple vault-type doors with biometric access control systems.
http://whitehouse.gov1.info/tunnel/

As a writer, I would start with this as a basis for the room where the meeting would be held. I would do other research and consult experts, and, then, I would envision how an attack might proceed.
Who knows? By the 23rd century, an outhouse could be a secured facility depending upon the technology used to protect it. In the case of the movie, having top officers from the fleet in the same room would just about guarantee a level of security above that of a regular office or meeting area.

In this case, security is thrown out the window because of how the act was orchestrated.
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom, where all of your wildest dreams will come true.
:: :: ::
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 10:59 AM   #92
throwback
Captain
 
Re: All right, all you JJ-haters! Put your money where your mouth is!

I think you are describing a situation that will never happen. We have bombs now that can penetrate underground bunkers, yet we still insist on building underground bunkers. I have noticed that human beings, when threatened or under attack, like to cocoon themselves. There is something about having a thick set of walls between you and the outside world. I don't think that will ever change.

I think that electromagnetic shields would be incorporated into a secured facility. These shields would either protect the whole facility, or would section off parts of the facility to isolate and quarantine intruders.

I was doing some research. The Pentagon has two levels that are underground. In affiliation with the Pentagon, there is the Raven Rock Mountain Complex. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raven_R...untain_Complex) This facility is described as having five buildings, each three stories tall, computer filled caverns, and a water reservoir. I think the key points in secured facilities is that they are not visible to the public, that they have communication links with the outside world, and that information about them is classified.

If I was a high ranking Starfleet officer, and I was told that I would be meeting in a conference room in a skyscraper for an emergency conference, I would be immediately suspicious of the circumstances.

I think showing this facility in the movie would have been a plus. I think it would make the Federation and Starfleet seem more real, that somehow these entities have a connection to our world. I was hearing one review where the reviewer felt after watching the two reboot films that the nature of the Federation, and Starfleet, was ambiguous. I feel that showing this facility might have given us some insight into both. When I think of people meeting in a conference room in a skyscraper, i think of board members belonging to a corporation.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 11:01 AM   #93
J. Allen
Best Pony™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: All right, all you JJ-haters! Put your money where your mouth is!

throwback wrote: View Post
I think you are describing a situation that will never happen. We have bombs now that can penetrate underground bunkers, yet we still insist on building underground bunkers. I have noticed that human beings, when threatened or under attack, like to cocoon themselves. There is something about having a thick set of walls between you and the outside world. I don't think that will ever change.

I think that electromagnetic shields would be incorporated into a secured facility. These shields would either protect the whole facility, or would section off parts of the facility to isolate and quarantine intruders.

I was doing some research. The Pentagon has two levels that are underground. In affiliation with the Pentagon, there is the Raven Rock Mountain Complex. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raven_R...untain_Complex) This facility is described as having five buildings, each three stories tall, computer filled caverns, and a water reservoir. I think the key points in secured facilities is that they are not visible to the public, that they have communication links with the outside world, and that information about them is classified.

If I was a high ranking Starfleet officer, and I was told that I would be meeting in a conference room in a skyscraper for an emergency conference, I would be immediately suspicious of the circumstances.

I think showing this facility in the movie would have been a plus. I think it would make the Federation and Starfleet seem more real, that somehow these entities have a connection to our world. I was hearing one review where the reviewer felt after watching the two reboot films that the nature of the Federation, and Starfleet, was ambiguous. I feel that showing this facility might have given us some insight into both. When I think of people meeting in a conference room in a skyscraper, i think of board members belonging to a corporation.
Scotty has a line in the movie where he states:
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom, where all of your wildest dreams will come true.
:: :: ::
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 11:12 AM   #94
throwback
Captain
 
Re: All right, all you JJ-haters! Put your money where your mouth is!

Starfleet is the military branch of the Federation. This has been the case since the first series.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 11:22 AM   #95
J. Allen
Best Pony™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: All right, all you JJ-haters! Put your money where your mouth is!

throwback wrote: View Post
Starfleet is the military branch of the Federation. This has been the case since the first series.
This is a new set of movies that doesn't really follow the same canon as the Star Trek TV series.
__________________
:: :: ::
Visit Brony Kingdom, where all of your wildest dreams will come true.
:: :: ::
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 03:03 PM   #96
Dave Scarpa
Lieutenant Commander
 
Dave Scarpa's Avatar
 
Re: All right, all you JJ-haters! Put your money where your mouth is!

Xavier_Storma wrote: View Post
Turd Ferguson wrote: View Post
Paramount has just hired you, due to your intense hatred of lens flares and JJ Abrams decision making, to replace JJ Abrams as head of the new Star Trek to follow Into Darkness.

You are free to reboot the series with whomever you feel is fit to play the roles of Kirk and Spock, or you can stick with Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto. But, Paramount wants you to post your casting ideas along with your plot synopsis.

Let's hear it! You're sick of Abrams, Kurtzman, Orci and Lindelof, let's hear YOUR ideas! You claim you can do better, Paramount is listening! Don't be shy!
After having seen INTO DARKNESS, I see the problem now. It is not JJ Abrams. In fact cinematography, direction, set design, effects etc look superb. Never looked better... no, it is the authors. Orci and Kurtzman are simply unable to write an original story... at least to the end.
The first hour of the film works and you are about to forgive stupid plotholes and logical mistakes simply because it is so dense... sadly, after 60 minutes the film simply copys TWOK and that is where it falls apart.

I would defineatly keep Abrams (lense flares decreased in this film, the camera works now really good, seems they cured the cameraman's Parkinson since 2009, or at least treated it accordingly (since you cannot cure that disease).

Throw out Orci and Kurtzman and get someone of the calliber of the Nolan brothers to write TREK 3, and everyone will be happy.

In fact if it was not for the second half of the film, I would really rate it as a good solid Sci-Fi Action film... and I really hated almost everything about TREK 09.

But there is hope again...

I would go the route of a game like "Judgment Rites" or "A Final Unity".

Add an archeological adventure for example, a race towards a huge discovery, a competition with Klingons for example, where the audience first thinks they are the bad guys and then in the end, let them work together with Kirk and his crew to solve a problem (in best TREK tradition).
There does not need to be an essential bad guy in the film. Mix it with cool locations (XI and ID have them already), add some action scenes (Kirk and Spck getting intel from hostile party, having a spy on board or something) and voila.

Just avoid: Time travel, remakes of iconic scenes and plot holes. It ain't that hard. If I had more time I would sit down and write a draft or two.
I agree I liked the movie upto about the Reveal of Khan, if the Film had focused on the renegade operation of Section 31 and gave us a Harrison with a decent Modus Operandi then I would have been fine with it, and take out the rediculous WOK Ending
Dave Scarpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 06:37 PM   #97
Xavier_Storma
Lieutenant Commander
 
Xavier_Storma's Avatar
 
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
Re: All right, all you JJ-haters! Put your money where your mouth is!

Dave Scarpa wrote: View Post
Xavier_Storma wrote: View Post
Turd Ferguson wrote: View Post
Paramount has just hired you, due to your intense hatred of lens flares and JJ Abrams decision making, to replace JJ Abrams as head of the new Star Trek to follow Into Darkness.

You are free to reboot the series with whomever you feel is fit to play the roles of Kirk and Spock, or you can stick with Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto. But, Paramount wants you to post your casting ideas along with your plot synopsis.

Let's hear it! You're sick of Abrams, Kurtzman, Orci and Lindelof, let's hear YOUR ideas! You claim you can do better, Paramount is listening! Don't be shy!
After having seen INTO DARKNESS, I see the problem now. It is not JJ Abrams. In fact cinematography, direction, set design, effects etc look superb. Never looked better... no, it is the authors. Orci and Kurtzman are simply unable to write an original story... at least to the end.
The first hour of the film works and you are about to forgive stupid plotholes and logical mistakes simply because it is so dense... sadly, after 60 minutes the film simply copys TWOK and that is where it falls apart.

I would defineatly keep Abrams (lense flares decreased in this film, the camera works now really good, seems they cured the cameraman's Parkinson since 2009, or at least treated it accordingly (since you cannot cure that disease).

Throw out Orci and Kurtzman and get someone of the calliber of the Nolan brothers to write TREK 3, and everyone will be happy.

In fact if it was not for the second half of the film, I would really rate it as a good solid Sci-Fi Action film... and I really hated almost everything about TREK 09.

But there is hope again...

I would go the route of a game like "Judgment Rites" or "A Final Unity".

Add an archeological adventure for example, a race towards a huge discovery, a competition with Klingons for example, where the audience first thinks they are the bad guys and then in the end, let them work together with Kirk and his crew to solve a problem (in best TREK tradition).
There does not need to be an essential bad guy in the film. Mix it with cool locations (XI and ID have them already), add some action scenes (Kirk and Spck getting intel from hostile party, having a spy on board or something) and voila.

Just avoid: Time travel, remakes of iconic scenes and plot holes. It ain't that hard. If I had more time I would sit down and write a draft or two.
I agree I liked the movie upto about the Reveal of Khan, if the Film had focused on the renegade operation of Section 31 and gave us a Harrison with a decent Modus Operandi then I would have been fine with it, and take out the rediculous WOK Ending
Nevertheless... this film works much better than the IMHO incredible mess that TREK 2009 was.
The visuals are stunning, the cast does a solid job (I was surprised with PEgg's performance since I though he really ruined the part in 2009) and we have some really good action scenes (the Enterprise falling from orbit is great).
__________________
Star Trek - A Final Unity
http://www.st-afu.com
Xavier_Storma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 08:01 PM   #98
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
trevanian's Avatar
 
Re: All right, all you JJ-haters! Put your money where your mouth is!

Xavier_Storma wrote: View Post
Add an archeological adventure for example, a race towards a huge discovery, a competition with Klingons for example, where the audience first thinks they are the bad guys and then in the end, let them work together with Kirk and his crew to solve a problem (in best TREK tradition).
Not bad at all. Sounds not just like THE CHASE (which I and some other folk think should have been the GEN movie), but also Phil Kaufman's unmade STAR TREK movie, PLANET OF THE TITANS. Didn't exactly have klingons and feds teaming up, but was going to have Toshiro Mifune as a Klingon captain opposite Nimoy's Spock so you'd have had respect at least among antagonists, against the backdrop of Ken Adam (!!) sets, Derek Medding miniatures and Jordan Belson (drool) opticals.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.