Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.20%
A 161 21.47%
A- 101 13.47%
B+ 83 11.07%
B 59 7.87%
B- 27 3.60%
C+ 40 5.33%
C 38 5.07%
C- 25 3.33%
D+ 11 1.47%
D 13 1.73%
D- 10 1.33%
F 38 5.07%
Voters: 750. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 16 2013, 07:43 AM   #2191
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

I don't really remember but at the end, when it is rechristened, does it look any different or have they just repaired it?
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 08:04 AM   #2192
cgervasi
Lieutenant

View cgervasi's Twitter Profile
Great STII:tWoK Reimagination [SPOILERS]

The film was great as a reimagination of STII:tWoK. I enjoyed it.
cgervasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 08:05 AM   #2193
Garak
Talk to me, like lovers do

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
TWOK is a brilliant film, within limits. It's probably the only Trek film of the 1979-1992 period other than possibly ST 4 that's really remembered by non-trekkies. I think the script, the direction and the production design all maximize the very circumscribed resources with which it was made - and it's for that reason as much as any other that it comes closest of any of them to representing the essence of the original TV series.

Dave Scarpa wrote: View Post
...I'll take Shatner-Nimoy-Kelly any day over any of these new actors.
You go right ahead and do that.
<- you knew that already though.

Well said.
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 08:08 AM   #2194
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

Alright, I just came home from the movie. I know these reviews are a dime a dozen from fans at this point but I just had to type this now. I gave the movie an A; thoroughly enjoyed it, even after knowing spoilers.

The film, in many ways, seems to be about two things: the growth of the crew and revenge versus principle. From the beginning, it seemed to me that the crew members of the Enterprise are still getting used to each other, and are definitely adjusting to Kirk's command style. But we see them each mature in a situation where they're quickly thrown into a maelstrom that, frankly, they aren't supposed to escape from.

Starfleet has also changed since the events of the last film. That's probably my favorite part of the movie: the fact that Starfleet, and the Federation by extension, is still dealing with the fallout of Vulcan's destruction. Yet, it takes additional attacks on Earth to really give Admiral Marcus what he wants: the provocation for war with the Klingons.

It's no surprise that Kirk is willing to go out and get Harrison, but Scotty, who I see as a stand in for the audience, asks a question we've been debating on this board for years: "I thought we were explorers?" That quest from soldiers back to explorers, I think, forms the heart of the film. (Now I've always been of the opinion that Starfleet is BOTH the military AND an exploration organization, but in this film it seems the fleet is close to going into a more militarized direction.)

Kirk dying for his ship shows just how far he's come: at that point, he realizes that he IS going to lose someone from his crew, namely himself. He saves an Enterprise that is almost a mirror of him and the crew: broken, near death, desperate for a miracle.

The film's theme of revenge shows up several times: Starfleet's tactics in the hunt for Harrison, and Spock's chase of Khan at the end, in which he nearly kills him (and that stunned me. I knew about the fight, but the brutality of it at the end still surprised me). But, again, revenge turns into something more positive, as Uhura gets Spock to stop his beating of Khan and use him to save the captain's life.

This was the movie we needed after the first one. The fallout of the events of the first movie are dealt with here, and the crew is getting closer to the experienced, well-oiled machine that we know so well. Here's to the Five Year Mission!
Old May 16 2013, 08:08 AM   #2195
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

Phily B wrote: View Post
I don't really remember but at the end, when it is rechristened, does it look any different or have they just repaired it?
All I noticed was a wider impulse drive, but that was it.
Old May 16 2013, 08:29 AM   #2196
Tai
Fleet Captain

I just saw the movie at the midnight screening. I hated the 2009 movie at first because of the destruction of Vulcan, weak, strange Romulans, contrived time travel plot, alternate timeline, etc. My expectations for Into Darkness were low.

It was an excellent film. I absolutely loved it.

The Good:

-Performances

I was worried that Chris Pine would not be able to deliver. I liked him as Kirk in the first film, but I've watched some of his other films since and he's underwhelmed. He did a fine job this film and portrayed moments of grief and determination very well. He has the womanizing charm thing down, so that aspect of Kirk is his bread and butter.

The scene where he had to show unbridled rage toward Khan were not amazing, but they weren't bad either. Overall Pine's performance was solid, and I believe with this film he's firmly won me over as Captain James T. Kirk.

Spock, Uhura and the rest of the crew had their moments though I felt too much of the humor comes at Spock's expense... but I remember plenty of TOS episodes where this was the case.

Special marks for Karl Urban as Bones. He completely disappears into that role and you kind of forget that he was a Rider of Rohan and a bad ass in his own right, and instead find him to be the lovable curmudgeon who gets space sickness.

Benedict Cumberbatch captivates in this performance. He really is the wheel that makes this movie turn. As other reviewers pointed out, you do see him both as a villain, and a man on a mission--a mission you find yourself sympathizing with.

Special effects:

Gorgeous beauty shots of the USS Enterprise. Rising from the water, falling into orbit, in the clouds, in space. The weird new Enterprise is kind of (only kind of) growing on me.

The sets looked massive and detailed. The matter-anti-matter chamber and warp core were beautiful set pieces and you got the sense that this was a real vessel with working parts. This film had the best sets and costumes I've ever seen in a Star Trek film. Nothing looked cheap. Nothing looked fake. Hell, this actually is Academy Award caliber work in set design and costumes.

-Little nods to past Trek.

The model of the NX-01 behind Marcus' desk. Section 31. The Harry Mudd incident. I noticed each time, and they didn't feel forced. They were appreciated and I felt a little rewarded for being a Trekkie. I didn't feel like it was "fan service". These are the things you can and should do when you have 40 years worth of lore at your disposal.

-Continuity with the 2009 film.

When Kirk mentioned his space jump I was like, "Hey, yeah! He actually has done this before!"

Scotty's little helper. Cupcake. Old Spock. Nice little touches to show that this crew has been together for a while now and has become a family.

The Bad:

A corrupt and murderous head of Starfleet? Admiral Marcus' betrayal was just a little over the top for me. It could have been done better. I feel like a few extra scenes fleshing out his motives could have made his character more nuanced. He could have realized that he had no choice but to destroy the Enterprise once his cover-up had failed, and, I dunno, been torn or conflicted about it. Instead he's literally like "Aw hell, now I gotta destroy our most famous ship for this cover-up. Bombs away!"

Also, Scotty just waltzing up to the secret Section 31 base in a shuttle? I don't mind him sneaking onto the Vengeance... but they could've devoted 2 more minutes to him doing it in a more stealthy way. A minor gripe.

The gripes are small. The plot holes, which were massive in the first film and really took me out of enjoying the experience and having Star Trek return, were pretty absent in this film. I enjoyed it. Hope you all do too!
Old May 16 2013, 08:30 AM   #2197
hamudm
Rear Admiral

View hamudm's Twitter Profile

Before I say anything:

1. I am a life long Trekkie
2. I LOVED Star Trek (2009) and felt it was faithful to the spirit of Star Trek
3. For a summer blockbuster, I am easy to please

... STID is horrifically and aggressively bad. After a strong first 1/4th, it takes a nosedive into some pretty hammy and cheesy storytelling. I'm not going to go into too much detail, but the entire movie was one long string of "trekisms" being shoehorned in (i.e. this is where you're supposed to yell "KHAAAAN!!!!").

1.5/5 stars. Ya... really. My hopes were high, but now they are dashed
Old May 16 2013, 08:30 AM   #2198
Devon
Fleet Captain

Came back from the midnight showing here. Have to say this was really an extremely solid effort. I think that Abrams & Co. have hit their stride now.

A few mental notes that I made, neither of these are pros or cons, just things I noticed:

Opening sequence = Classic.

Kirk definitely matures after Pike's death. He's still a little careless and arrogant in the face of authority (namely how he smarted off a couple of times to Pike.) After that, he's a lot more mature, not making so many wisecracks. You really see him being Kirk.

A lot of tears were shed by the characters in this film.

SpockPrime seemed to have discovered Just For Vulcan Men hair dye.

Scotty has a rather surprisingly prominent role in the film.

The models behind Marcus', definitely nice touch.

Not sure that I'm warming up to John Cho as Sulu quite yet.

Klingon sequence = Awesome.

LOVED the human touch to it, with the music they were listening to in the social settings namely. I felt that Star Trek became WAY too elitist by having everyone listening to Opera and Orchestra stuff. The bar scene where they're listening to some sort of rock/blues song with, *gasp* lyrics, really grounded that scene for me.

I gave this a solid A- (although I accidentally went for B+, which is okay haha.)

The only thing I might even put in the "Con" or "Khan" category would be the Kirk's Death/Magic Blood thing. It wasn't bad, but I didn't feel that it really moved the story along either. That is literally it. People who were annoyed with Lens Flares the last time will have little to complain about this time.
Old May 16 2013, 08:33 AM   #2199
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Devon wrote: View Post
Scotty has a rather surprisingly prominent role in the film.
Running and protesting. And telling off his ewok.

I did laugh out loud at "I'm running!"

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 08:46 AM   #2200
Phily B
Fleet Captain

Speaking of plotholes, I was surprised at how tight the script was as far as plotholes go. Trek films are usually full of them, and as much as I enjoyed 2009, a lot of the plot had me going "What?" though it was a lot of fun (unlike a lot of Trek films) so you didn't really bother holding them against it.
Old May 16 2013, 08:47 AM   #2201
gornsky
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dave Scarpa wrote: View Post
... he enlists Khan, a man 300 years out date to help him develop advanced weaponry and ships..??? Huh, thats like asking a Roman to help you design the cell Phone.
No, it was genius-level savagery he wanted to exploit. More like asking a Roman to help you sever a head.

except guess what it's reversed so that it's Kirk that sacrifices his Crew
But Kirk sacrificed himself to save his crew???

That is until a Deux (???) ending that anyone could see coming from a mile away, had a Tribble waking up at just the right time.
Oh sure, that was bad. The way it just sat there in the front of frame, waiting to be discovered. Definitely one for the slow learners.

And why was everyone so Gung ho on spock Taking Khan alive when even McCoy realized he had 72 of the little buggers on his Ship anyhow.
Many reasons, all exhaustively debated across social media.

JJ If I want to Watch Khan done Right I'll watch the original, I have about 42 times already I'd like to see some originality..
42 times! And you say you don't like repetition? Personally I liked the new things (and the familiar things) the twist said about the characters -- but yeah, on first viewing the repeated dialogue was distracting.

I Invite eeryone to go back and watch the original Khan from Spock's Death thru to his Funeral scene and shoot down to the genesis planet and see how Real Trek Moves you, right down to playing Amazing Grace for Spock as he in Death finds his humanity.

And then go watch JJ's version.
As much as I love TWOK, I always found those scenes sad but somehow stilted, repressed... almost too formal. It may be sacrilege, but I actually prefer this version.

Anyway, I'm sorry you had such an unsatisfying experience, but appreciate your polite efforts to detail your criticisms.
gornsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 09:01 AM   #2202
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Holy sweet mother of the Santa Maria's left booby, this movie was great! I managed to absorb the whole movie in one showing, but it will take time to process all of it. Still, a fantastic effort, and a worthy sequel to the first movie.

Also, Scotty's running down the long gangway, and then you can hear him out of breath and complaining.

The humor was toned down a bit this time around, but they did a fantastic job keeping the tight moments tight, the dark moments dark, and the funny moments truly funny. All in all, a great job, I gave it an A+. I was impressed.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 09:02 AM   #2203
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

And like others have said, this was the first movie where I was actually terrified by the Klingons. I love the new look.
Old May 16 2013, 09:06 AM   #2204
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Titus Andronicus wrote: View Post
And like others have said, this was the first movie where I was actually terrified by the Klingons. I love the new look.
Oh, yes! The Klingon who took his helmet off nearly scared me shitless at first! I was thinking, "I do NOT want to mess with these guys!"

So well done. I'm really hoping for a costume/set design award or two this year for the movie. I mean, everything was so tightly put together, I believed I was looking right into the 23rd century. It felt that real to me.

Also, hooray, we got to see more of earth in the future!
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 09:09 AM   #2205
Phily B
Fleet Captain

why were there floating beds?! is that also because of nero?!

fuck you jj abrams